So some d00d on Craigslist is trying to scam me for $4000 with bad checks

KAMAZON

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
www.alirazeghi.com
So I'm selling Rock Band on craigslist and this dude wants to send me $4k to pay his movers via western union and take the money for rock band out of it. This is obviously a stupid scam but I'm curious, will the police actually bother with this guy? He lives in VA I think, or at least that's the drop. Is there a special section of the FBI that will deal with this guy? Is it even worth playing along to get the check and turn it in to the authorities? Do I deal with the FBI? VA Police? LAPD? Let me know, thanks.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I'm talking out of my ass here but since you have no reponses, I'll say this...

I'm fairly certain the feds take this sort of stuff seriously and that there is a fraud division specifically for this type of crime. I would call your local police and see what they say, and also find the FBI website that deals with this and get in touch with them. It would be best to turn this guy in because chances are he'll do it to someone else and eventually succeed.

All it takes is a few phone calls to find out what your options are.

KAMAZON

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
www.alirazeghi.com
Originally posted by: Farang

I'm fairly certain the feds take this sort of stuff seriously and that there is a fraud division specifically for this type of crime. I would call your local police and see what they say, and also find the FBI website that deals with this and get in touch with them. It would be best to turn this guy in because chances are he'll do it to someone else and eventually succeed.

Thanx, I think I'll turn his ass in then, I don't want to some poor old lady scammed by losers like this. On a sidenote, how is bangkok treating you?

Mar 11, 2004
You likely won't be able to track down where the person actually lives yourself, they give fake addresses and all manner of things.

The FBI does have something setup, although don't expect them to really do anything other than get some information from you and log the case. The local police are as good as useless when it comes to these, but that is because they're understaffed and not trained to handle this. Since it becoming such a widespread issue, a lot of departments are setting up dedicated personnel, but even then they'll often direct you to the FBI, or just log it.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: KAMAZON
Originally posted by: Farang

Thanx, I think I'll turn his ass in then, I don't want to some poor old lady scammed by losers like this. On a sidenote, how is bangkok treating you?

Actually about to leave here next week after about seven months in, and panicking at the thought. Trying to scramble to find a way to stay, but it seems the smart thing to do is return and finish my degree.

Bangkok is a wonderful town full of kind people, and if they aren't kind they're at least interesting characters. The chaos is beautiful. Life here is as it should be.

If you haven't been, come. If you have, return.

To be fair my love affair is with all of Southeast Asia and not only Bangkok. And I apologize but you gave me an opportunity to ramble about the great life here and I took it.