So Phenom IIs run at125w, eh?

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
That's 36W more than my X2 4200+.:shocked: The 940 will be toasty. Maybe I should wait for the 945 for my upgrade.

(I do have an unopened HDT-S1283 and an Antec Tricool waiting for it but now I wonder if that will be enough to keep it cool. :(

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
That will be more than enough to keep it cool. That is one of the best air heat sinks on the market.

The stock fan on that cooler is actually very quiet and pushes a lot of air already (72.1 to 99.6CFM - depending on how fast you run it at), so I would suggest keeping that over the Tri-Cool. It runs at 20 Db at its lowest setting (72 CFM).

EDIT: I just know these things because I built my roommates computer with a S1283, and I am very impressed with it. Much quieter than I expected, and it keeps his processor under 40C even after 12 hours of Prime95. (At stock settings though). I got it because it was the right price and was supposed to be pretty good, but now I want to get one for my next build as well.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Well, I might overclock it then. ;)

My three-year old Thermalright SI-120 keeps my X2 4200+ around 39C at stock but it goes up to almost 50C when I overclock it to 2.7GHz (my apartment is very warm). Of course, I haven't done that since I quit distributed computing.

BLaber

Jun 23, 2008
You will be surprised by how cool PhenomII runs, don't let 125w label get you, check some other forums where people have got PHII in their hand and then decide.

BlueBlazer

Nov 25, 2008
The ASUS A8N32-SLI-DX is a S939 motherboard, while Phenom II are AM2+... Are you going to get a new motherboard?

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
New CPU, new mainboard, new RAM, new OS. I already upgraded the vidcard and PSU. :)

That Enermax is one solid power supply. Much better than the Galaxy lineup... (too bad they don't make them bigger than 720watts)

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Pretty sure that I had read that AMD and Intel measure their TDP's differently. One being maximum TDP and the other being average. So, ultimately, it probably doesn't really matter until we know how much these things take in a running system.

The chipset, is also very important. That is one of the reasons why Atom, despite being a low power CPU, still consumes a decent amount of power on a system level, because the 945GSE chipset blows assnuts and consumes a lot of power.

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
AMD and Intel measure their TDP's differently. One being maximum TDP and the other being average

i see that myth is still floating around

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: ArchAngel777
Originally posted by: dmens
AMD and Intel measure their TDP's differently. One being maximum TDP and the other being average

I hate to be a proponent of myth, so please link an article.

http://www.tomshardware.com/re...laims-skewed,1853.html

They are different, but arguably only slightly. Pretty much that article is AMD saying conroes aren't THAT cool and Tomshardware basically saying "Yeah... They are!"

I doubt you will see much thermal difference between a 45W AMD TDP and 45W Intel TDP.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Cogman
Originally posted by: ArchAngel777
Originally posted by: dmens

I hate to be a proponent of myth, so please link an article.

http://www.tomshardware.com/re...laims-skewed,1853.html

They are different, but arguably only slightly. Pretty much that article is AMD saying conroes aren't THAT cool and Tomshardware basically saying "Yeah... They are!"

I doubt you will see much thermal difference between a 45W AMD TDP and 45W Intel TDP.

Thanks, I read that too. I agree that AMD probably put a spin on it, but the TDP themselves vary from chip to chip that it is almost a moot issue until you can measure one on a test bed. Also, since they both used different chipsets, it would be interesting to know if the numbers were actually closer based on the CPU, or if they were even farther apart.

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
spin aside, any attempt to claim TDP represents maximum power consumption, or any level of power consumption at all, is a flat-out marketing/fanboy lie. i can guarantee you if you run the in-house power virus code for a given processor family the processor power consumption will be far higher than the stated TDP.

that tomshardware article talks about "TDPmax", that is garbage. TDP being a power consumption suggestion and nothing more, there's nothing max about it. it's supposed to be "typical".

with AMD introducing "average CPU power" or ACP, the retarded marketing spin is only going to get worse... apparently, some codes are more typical than others. bleh.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
ALL BS aside. I am very pleased with AMD this round. Not about performance or the Very good O/Cs. But how they handled this release. I really haven't seen AMD lie about anything . Hat off.

I been following the review at XS. It is truely the most entertaining thread I have ever read. That thread shows how fanbois can ruin a launch with Hype.

AMD didn't hype anything other than O/Cing. But the fanbois have succeeded in turning victory into a loss. Why they ever wanted to compare to IC7. When kentsfield kicks PHII around pretty good. At the same clock. Now that the numbers are in . The new battle cry is TEMPS. Well hold up guys . If PHII is using more V. Which it is that = heat. Intel has its heatsensors located better. Unless some can explain other than using leakage as a reason.

The full reviews are the ones I want to see. The ones that will show IC7 at Idle. With the core properly shutting down unsed transitors. The PHII guys keep saying wait for better bios. PHI has been out along time its bios is plenity mature. Its IC7 thats going to see hugh bios improvements. After all this is Intels New Chip . Which M/B manufactorers have yet to tame.

THe New AMD war Cry = IC7= Hot = P4P lol/

The trueth is PHI &II are the new P4Ps Less performance more power usage(not proven yet). But these chips are hot. Doesn't matter what AMDs sensor says at all.

As a human when I work I pace myself so as to stay comfortable. But when the Job requires I have to become more efficient with time. I work harder and my body temps heat up. Its natural at any level. Work = heat. Since intels HT is working very well. The extra heat and performance = productivity. This is what Chips are about . Not freaken games. Stop looking at the world like its all about games it about productivity and efficiency . IC7 wins big here and PHII fails its that simple.

Now that said buy what you want. Don't come here and say . What should I buy. LOL . Really. Its like me going next door and asking what kind of car I should buy. If you are like 15 years old I can understand a bit. But any older than that.

Whats better Intel or AMD. Intel fan = Intel . AMD fan = amd . Not good to ask on forums which is better. Just read and make own mind. Plus it well help keep the flames down.
In the up and coming reviews its going to be intersting for sure. Lots of questions will be asked about idle power consumption ' As Intels smackaround runs alot less power threw it at idle than the other M/B makers. So any claims about better power consimption at idle needs to referance INTELS referrannce smack down M/B. At least untill the other M/B makers get these things settled down at idle. The smack over does and thats the mark other makers have to aim for.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Intel fan = Intel . AMD fan = amd
Allow me to expand: Intel fan = Intel . AMD fan = amd. Impartial observer: At the moment, a core2 processor is a more sensible purchase than nehalem or the entire AMD line.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
No its not. When the hydra M/B show up you will change your tune . IC7 is a gaming monster if you can keep it busy. This has been shown in XF and tri sli. With hydra and gpu scaling between the 95-100% with 4 cards . Will open your eyes to the true power of IC7 in that respect. But IC7 is in a class of its own period. You may have just built a system using C2D so I understand why ya say what ya say.

THis is the trueth

1) IC7= The best cpu in all things other than single gpu usage because the GPUs are weaK.
2) Penryn C2Q 2nd best but cpu is pretty well matched to todays gpus.
3) Merom Kentsfield goes in here as third best . It is matched to todays gpu

4). PHII this is wear AMD fits in . Good match for todays gpus.

I am buying a PhII I want to play high O/C . Not that it will be stable. I really haven't seen any proof of stability yet in any PHII reviews so thats a question mark for me.

I don't care what they price PHII at I am buying . But if AMD wants their chips in a Dell PC . They better lower the price alot. They had to beat kentsfield @ same clock and failed.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
No its not.

Why not just speak for yourself?

He just said that he think the C2D is the most sensible purchase at the moment (Which I also believe) and you go on to tell him he is wrong and the next sentence is talking about some unreleased product....

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
You said it right . THe key word is. Purchase. If you have C2D now keep it. IF you are purchasing new. IC7 is the smart buy . Right NOw . Cost be dammed. We know the gaming power is there. We know HT works pretty well. WE know with everypassing day more programms will become more threaded.

IC7 is the best long term investment to come in along time. IC7 will stand the test of time greater than Kentsfield for fact. In 2 years PHIIand Penryn will fall further and further away from IC7s performance as programmers catch up to hardware.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
IC7 is the smart buy . Right NOw . Cost be dammed.

Costs be damned? How can anything be a "smart buy " if you have to say that?