So, Obviously for Blizzard a Dollar is as much as Euro? Total Ripoff!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
hate to squash your rant, but most things, and especially electronics, are more expensive in Europe.

dollar = euro in terms of up-front cost is rather ubiquitous...so deal with it.

Hell, it's actually worse than that. visiting Dublin in 2008, I wandered into Burger King (because it was the only affordable meal in that area--Dublin is ridiculous). Their value meals (burger, fries, bev)?

7 Euro. ....7 fucking Euros. And the Euro was ~1.4 dollars at the time.

So, while ranting at Blizzard, be sure to bitch at Burger King and any other American Company that also does business in Europe at European prices.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
hate to squash your rant, but most things, and especially electronics, are more expensive in Europe.

dollar = euro in terms of up-front cost is rather ubiquitous...so deal with it.

Hell, it's actually worse than that. visiting Dublin in 2008, I wandered into Burger King (because it was the only affordable meal in that area--Dublin is ridiculous). Their value meals (burger, fries, bev)?

7 Euro. ....7 fucking Euros. And the Euro was ~1.4 dollars at the time.

So, while ranting at Blizzard, be sure to bitch at Burger King and any other American Company that also does business in Europe at European prices.
Fair enough but we arent talking about electronics. We're talking about a digital download for a game. Its just electrons, which we pay for separately anyway.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Fair enough but we arent talking about electronics. We're talking about a digital download for a game. Its just electrons, which we pay for separately anyway.

Its still not extortion. Don't buy it. And even if you pay it grudingly, how many hours will you get out of the game? If its 80 bucks (post conversion), and the game lasts you only 10 hours, and you still are approximately lined up with the cost of a movie theater ticket in the US.

Many people will easily get 10 hours out of this game (the multiplayer and PVP that will be following afterwards).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

yeah, I missed that part at first. The cost of electronics in Europe is generally due to trade agreements between Asian and European countries--and this involves shipping physical products, and in certain volumes, on top of European (and country-specific) regulations towards whatever commodity is in question.

One might assume that this type of cost wouldn't apply to a digital product--I know I wouldn't--but I also wouldn't be shocked if regulations are in place for digital commodities, that if they aren't regulated separately, they are, at least, regulated similarly if in same/similar markets.

Basically--I honestly have no idea. :\

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005

To me this falls under the blanket of personal responsibility. Your wife chose to register, or you for her, as a European for some odd reason so when you go to buy something on that profile it is, shockingly enough, in EUROS. You need to accept responsibility for what you did wrong instead of crapping on a company that is just trying to take care of all of it's customers in an efficient manner.

I know it sucks for you, but even if you worked at McDonald's you are talking about 3 hours of your time monetarily speaking, at most. My question is why is it you bitch about 3 hours of your time/money, at most, when you have the time to write tens of thousands of posts in this forum alone?

You just need to man up and take responsibility for your mistake instead of making this into the man sticking it to you. Nobody forced you, or your wife if that was the case, to register as a European. You fucked yourself, deal with it and move on.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
To me this falls under the blanket of personal responsibility. Your wife chose to register, or you for her, as a European for some odd reason so when you go to buy something on that profile it is, shockingly enough, in EUROS. You need to accept responsibility for what you did wrong instead of crapping on a company that is just trying to take care of all of it's customers in an efficient manner.

I know it sucks for you, but even if you worked at McDonald's you are talking about 3 hours of your time monetarily speaking, at most. My question is why is it you bitch about 3 hours of your time/money, at most, when you have the time to write tens of thousands of posts in this forum alone?

You just need to man up and take responsibility for your mistake instead of making this into the man sticking it to you. Nobody forced you, or your wife if that was the case, to register as a European. You fucked yourself, deal with it and move on.

at first, I thought you were using the "royal 'you'" in this response to shorty, but then I realized you are responding directly to shorty with this post.

shorty is not the OP, bitching about paying Euros after having signed up as a european account. shorty is simply arguing the difference (or similarity) in cost between a digital vs a physical commodity.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Oh my bad, thought he was the OP, been a minute since I saw the first page. Sorry shorty.

On the other hand, why would I know you? You're just some dude on a forum and you can see from my post count that that means little to more like nothing to me.

Anyhow, my post was directed at Flexy, the OP, and he mentioned it was his wife's account so I have to question if you guys even bothered reading this thread because my comment is clearly directed at the OP. Sorry for the confusion though.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001

It's not really that i am ranting and raving about the $20, it's about the principle. We didn't do anything "wrong", in fact i don't remember anymore whether my wife had a US account first and they changed it back later on or whether she signed on at battle.net with an EU account in the first place.

To be honest, i am in internet marketing and do international online transfers on a daily basis (in both directions)..and USUALLY if you convert a currency or some purchase amount into another it reflects the correct conversion.

Go to any random online store where you can buy something digital where you can select EU/USD...only an idiot would pay in EU if the amount would stay the same and not convert correctly.

There are few exceptions tho, eg when you buy a digital product here in EU from some vendors then it adds VAT...but it's then CLEARLY marked as such...and you see what VAT you pay in addition to the "normal" price.

But i don't remember anything like VAT mentioned on the blizzard site, it simply took the "59.99" number as i did before when i bought my copy - and put the same amount on the EU check-out page...but this time in Euro, amounting to 1/3 more of the price i could get the game anywhere else.

So yes, it's my mistake since i didn't catch it this time - but doesn't make it more "shady" in my opinion. And..uhm, yes all the arguments and the comparisons with retail shops in Europe don't count. You cant compare this to a Burger King or any other US franchise store with employees where they need to pay higher wages etc...so naturally a hamburger etc. might cost more here than in the states.

Last edited:

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Dude you live in America so shady business practices should be commonplace to you by now, especially with the business you work in.

That said it does not make it right but that's just how it is here now. Until we go Fight Club on the corporate world, or overthrow the government and rebuild, it will remain that way and I'm not into prison or dying so I've just learned to deal with it because the people around me care much less than I do and are sick of hearing what a dump our parents and grandparents (not necessarily yours or mine, but those generations) have turned this nation into.

Status
Not open for further replies.