So not only do I suck at gaming, I have the wrong mouse?

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Here I thought I actually have a low ping on the new Quake servers and high-end hardware for the first time in a long while. And yet, here I get whacked so much that I think my ID is posted on the servers as cannon-bait.

But when Amazon had a sale on a mouse (Corsair Gaming M65), I looked it over and noticed it has "Optimized sniper button positioning: take advantage of on-the-fly DPI switching to instantly match mouse speed to game play demands."

So wait...there are specific mouse triggers to zero-in on targets for better accuracy?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Probably. I recall one company marketing a trackball designed to perform one specific Quake maneuver: running circles around a target while firing inward toward the target, sort of like the moon is gravitationally locked in its orbit around the earth, always showing the same face to earth.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Of course there is mice with DPI buttons, my mouse, a Razer cant remember model its like 8 years old has on the fly DPI adjustments from like 2000-8000DPI, absolutely great for FPS games, can have it set high for making quick turns with your character and moving around the map then crank it down a bit for fine adjustments to aim for sniping. Then when done sniping crank it back up, its great to the point I would never consider buying a mouse without on the fly DPI adjustment button.

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
Hehehe...one more way to say " Hey u guys suck! Buy this thing and be better!" I guess they ARE suckers!!
Kidding aside though, it may help if you use it properly.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
So wait...there are specific mouse triggers to zero-in on targets for better accuracy?
Adjustable DPI means that it changes how much your screen moves for the movement of your mouse on the mousepad. If you have you mouse setting set to be just right for when you're running around, it will be harder to aim when zoomed in, since you won't have fine control. With a game like Quake though, it shouldn't matter much since it's a twitch shooter. If you're taking your time to switch DPI and aim, mostly likely the other guy will drop you.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
My current mouse has a feature where you hold down a button with your thumb to lower the DPI until you release the button, returning the mouse to the previous DPI setting. I like it a lot. Most mice you have to change it then change it back with 2 different buttons... same concept I just like the button-holding implementation better (and the fact I don't have to adjust my grip at all to use it).

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
In the last 4-5 years I now always play with an ultra low DPI on-the-fly switch button for aiming and sniping.

It's pretty standard practice now.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
My current mouse has a feature where you hold down a button with your thumb to lower the DPI until you release the button, returning the mouse to the previous DPI setting. I like it a lot. Most mice you have to change it then change it back with 2 different buttons... same concept I just like the button-holding implementation better (and the fact I don't have to adjust my grip at all to use it).
That sounds neat and nifty. What kind of mouse is it?

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Honor to the gods of true hard core gaming in the old days when I played fps and they used this:
old-ball-mouse.jpg

And they rocked! :D

This beige colour... Is it fossilized? :eek:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Honor to the gods of true hard core gaming in the old days when I played fps and they used this:
I used one of those (PS/2, I think) for UT. So many sweet sweet headshots with the sniper rifle with that mouse. I sometimes think I used to be more accurate with a physical mouse ball, than an optical sensor.

Reactions: huskystafford

XSoldier77X

May 23, 2017
old-ball-mouse.jpg

man, I miss that feeling of the ball getting stuck and guy taking my head shot in he original CS :D. or getting assaulted by rival civilizations/teams in AoE/RA2

XSoldier77X

May 23, 2017
old-ball-mouse.jpg

man, I miss that feeling of the ball getting stuck and guy taking my head shot in he original CS :D. or getting assaulted by rival civilizations/teams in AoE/RA2

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
A bunch of recent games (thinking of PUBG specifically) you can now set individual sensitivities between moving, prone, aiming down sights, and looking through a scope. So you could potentially have several different sensitivities set without having to use a mouse with those capabilities.

Not every game has those sliders though.

Feb 4, 2009

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Many companies have software built in that allow you to program any button on your mouse to change the DPI on the fly. I know I can program any Logitech gaming mouse to do it, even if it doesn't have a dedicated button by design, I can create the functionality on any button using the software.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I have the same mouse, but had to disable the DPI up/down buttons. In the heat of battle, my fingers would accidentally hit the buttons, changing the DPI settings and would totally screw me up.
Oh thank god I'm not the only one that has this problem. I'm constantly bumping up the dpi when in a sudden close quarters situation. My first finger always drifts to the left hitting the dpi up button.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I have the same mouse, but had to disable the DPI up/down buttons. In the heat of battle, my fingers would accidentally hit the buttons, changing the DPI settings and would totally screw me up.

That happened to me a lot too. I ended up just setting it to only have one DPI setting (800), so it doesn't matter.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Anything to get a perceived advantage. Just don't neglect your mousing surfice(mouse pad). A good pad is important for optical tracking and when you go low DPI you need a large surface area to move the mouse because for every mm you move the mouse it will move a certain amount on screen. Higher DPI means less mouse movement, low DPI means more movement to aim at the same spot.

Feb 4, 2009
I had rat 9. I almost got period cause of that sniper button :D I wen't on zowie after that. Feels like the old days.

We all are different, I understand that.

I agree in many ways, I loved my G9 however the dpi adjustment was tricky during gaming. The dedicated sniper button is in the perfect location for me but it does look a little gamer"ish"

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Oh thank god I'm not the only one that has this problem. I'm constantly bumping up the dpi when in a sudden close quarters situation. My first finger always drifts to the left hitting the dpi up button.
LOL same here. I remember playing BF42 way back when. Got in a tense battle while in a tank. Managed to hit the DPI up accidentally and then proceeded to spin my turret 4 times before I could say 'wtf?'

Edit: FWIW still rockin my MX518. I have a spare one NIB when it shits the bed too lol

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I'm pretty sure the aiming button people setup or use is a DPI change while holding the button in most cases. So you hold the button down, the DPI drops for fine aiming, and let the button go to return to normal DPI. Those buttons to increase or decrease DPI are dangerous. I always reprogram them to do something else.