So my computer randomly restarts..

SoylentG

Oct 26, 2005
Alright, so my computer seems to randomly restart these days, and I'd like to get it to stop. It almost ALWAYS happens when I'm playing Warcraft 3, the game I spend the most time playing. I'm suspicious of my apartment's wiring, and I'm also suspicious of my cheap ass PSU. Here's my specs (don't laugh, I got this computer at about 1/3 or retail value.)

Prescott 3.0 Socket 478
Intel mobo, D865PERL
512MB x2 of OCZ Enhanced Latency PC3200
ATI X800 Pro (AGP)
PSU: EZ Media PSEZ430

I've got an exhaust fan blower below the video card (blows out of my pci slot).
The case is an Antec Super Lanboy, in which I've replaced the front and back fans with SilverStone 120mm fans (3 1/2 bay knobs control these, don't allow case door to close, but no biggie). I've got a Scythe FCS-50 on the Prescott, which usually stays at around high 40s, low 50s under load. Idles in high 30s. I've got 2 SATA drives, a 83GB, and a 250GB that I installed. Do I have too many components? I'm not too good with bios settings, could something in there cause this? I'm not sure if there's any other information that could be useful, I'd be glad to share. If my apartment is the problem (non-constant supply of external power), what is a cheap solution? I've got it plugged into a surge protector (naturally), but I woiuldn't be opposed to having a battery backup type of thing. However, I _AM_ on a tight budget. I don't have much money to spare at all, but if there's a semi-cheap fix, I'd be glad to go for it.

I've been eyeing this modular PSU (Hiper Type-R 580W Modular Power Supply), can't find any bad reviews, I think it's only negative quality is that it's modular, but I'm not going to be changing out plugs EVER, so I'm hoping that it will be an acceptable solution at some point in the future. I'm saving up for a X2 4200+ // PCIe 7800GT/GTX rig soon, which I might go SLI on, that's why I'm wanting the more powerful PSU. Thank you for your time, and advice. I'm open to trying just about anything to fix the problem.

SoylentG

Oct 26, 2005
Originally posted by: hAxsYn
Check out this thread

I saw that one, but I'm reasonably sure it's not the memory. I will test it tonight. Is EZ Media a pretty crappy brand, per se?

EDIT:
EMC6D102 (PLEASE REPORT) (ID=$65) found on SMBus at $2E

Was thrown out when I started up SpeedFan.

I've been dinging around a little, and the voltages seem to vary a small amount, should they be 100% stable?

SoylentG

Oct 26, 2005
Memtest came back clean. Any other possibilities other than PSU? Or is it time to get that other PSU 100%?