"So, Mitt, what do you really believe?"; Economist editorial on Mitt Romney

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
It's strange, I'm actually somewhat sure that Mitt would govern as a conservative moderate if elected. He just can't run on that kind of record right now and expect to get elected by the GOP electorate.

The fact that he's so devoid of principles is what is alarming to me though. I can't in good conscience put a man like that into the Oval Office.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
So in the other thread we had incorruptible saying hannity (or beck or someone along those lines) was a liberal and now we have people here saying the Economist is a Liberal (as in american Liberal) magazine.

Really.

I mean, really now, is critical thinking something that has been banned in conservative circles? Incorruptible is obviously a troll account, but you guys in here are actually serious....

note: rereading the thread I think one of said posters is serious......the other guy is a troll for sure.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
If one the comments, people are saying the economist is doing everything it can to prop up Romney and is biased towards electing him.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
So long as Congress remains obstructionist I don't see either Romney or Obama getting anything done. It's amazing how they've escaped criticism throughout all of this.
At this point, it's really about the Supreme Court. Obama got two justices on his first term because they retired. Imagine though if they had died and McCain was President. Seven conservatives on the court would be pretty scary...

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
That article was spot on. Those deriding it really need to read it before spouting off. Dont give the guy a pass. Its afailure of our electorql systm if we do not get to put his plan up to scrutiny and comparison to Obamas. We need more than 30 days to do that.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
So instead of actually reading the article and debating the points it makes you simply look at the author and automatically assume it's bunk.

Conservatives...

It's an Op-Ed piece. There more opinion in that article than fact. To be honest I actually agree with some of it.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
How can the Economist Mag or any other pundits agree or disagree with the Romney plan, when over the years Romney, the incredible plastic man, has been on both sides of every issue?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
How can the Economist Mag or any other pundits agree or disagree with the Romney plan, when over the years Romney, the incredible plastic man, has been on both sides of every issue?

Maybe his opinion is evolving, things were worse than he imagined, his previous opinion was taken out of context…..

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I've seen this refutation of their pieces before and it's never made sense. They've been pro-Sarkozy, pro-Cameron and pro-austerity, but one convenient mention of, "No they're actually liberal!" and there's no longer a need to debate their words on their merit. Ridiculous and totally indicative of why American "conservatives" are getting a bad rap for being anti-intellectual.

Bingo. :thumbsup:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Kudos to the author - he managed to avoid playing the race card for almost five paragraphs. Could be an Economist hit piece record!

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
It highlights the main problem McCain had as well. Romney the governor != Romney the nominee.

I could get behind Romney the governor, an even keeled leader willing to fix things. Mostly moderate with a strong pro-business, low regulation slant but with little or no pandering to the evangelical vote. Essentially the kind of Republican the Tea Party morons want to run out of the party. So come primary he flips every, or nearly every, moderate view he had to the accepted far right, evangelical view to grab their vote and get the nomination. When he went to pick his VP he doubled down on Tea Party rhetoric rather than moderate views with an eye towards bipartisanship.

I'd like to see change from Obama and Romney the governor might have been that person but Romney the nominee just isn't. I can't trust what he says he believes, without details to his plans I can't trust that those details won't contain items that I find completely distasteful. I can't look at his record as governor as he has clearly changed his mind on how a leader should act. He lost his identity in his race to pander to the far right and shows no signs of reversing that course.

This is what the article is referring to. Romney's shift may have gotten him the nomination but it all seems pretty hollow when he's just saying what the right folks want to hear.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
It highlights the main problem McCain had as well. Romney the governor != Romney the nominee.

I could get behind Romney the governor, an even keeled leader willing to fix things. Mostly moderate with a strong pro-business, low regulation slant but with little or no pandering to the evangelical vote. Essentially the kind of Republican the Tea Party morons want to run out of the party. So come primary he flips every, or nearly every, moderate view he had to the accepted far right, evangelical view to grab their vote and get the nomination. When he went to pick his VP he doubled down on Tea Party rhetoric rather than moderate views with an eye towards bipartisanship.

I'd like to see change from Obama and Romney the governor might have been that person but Romney the nominee just isn't. I can't trust what he says he believes, without details to his plans I can't trust that those details won't contain items that I find completely distasteful. I can't look at his record as governor as he has clearly changed his mind on how a leader should act. He lost his identity in his race to pander to the far right and shows no signs of reversing that course.

This is what the article is referring to. Romney's shift may have gotten him the nomination but it all seems pretty hollow when he's just saying what the right folks want to hear.

+1

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001

I think he could have won as Romney the governor as well, but he's completely disowned everything he did in Mass. Romneycare worked and in his book he said it'd be a good model for the nation. Of course, now that the GOP is against it, he's trying to distance himself as much as he can from it.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Mitt just wants to be elected, he will say and do anything. The problem is what will he do once in office? With the loonies on the right in Congress, I would worry he would turn into a rubber stamp. He may have been a moderate as a governor, but he just blow in the political wind. Would he pander to the voters and lean center left or pander to the money and the crackpots in his party? A scary risk to take as a conservative.