so May 3rd....... people with the PhysX get to test it out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: munky
So, basically because of the extra physics effects there's no AA? That's just unacceptable. I'm not even sure it that's the real reason, but I was never a huge fan of giving up AA for HDR, and I'm sure as hell not gonna give up AA for more physics, especially given the relatively minor AA performance hit the x1900 cards get.

You haven't seen it yet, how can anyone say anything meaningful until then. So far, AA/AF have only made the games crisper and cleaner looking, if you've got things blowing apart and little specs of crap flying all over the place, maybe you'll forget about the jaggies.

It could also be in game AA not available, that doesn't mean you can't force it on. There are plenty of old games designed before AA, but you can still play them with it on.

Jan 3, 2005
Originally posted by: BenSkywalker
GRAW is XB360 native, ported to the PC. Not being able to enable HDR and AA seems to be an ongoing theme for such titles. Xenos does have a bit of an edge when it comes to handling both at once over any part available for the PC right now.

As mentioned above, it does look like they had to scale back the PC version of the game in some ways. Not sure if this will be another case like Oblivion where people figure out how to get it up to console levels(between drivers and game tweaks) or not but it is looking a bit off right now.

GRAW for the PC is NOT a port of the XBox 360 verison and nothing has been scaled back. If anything there has been quite a few thing added to the PC version that is not in the XBox 360 version.

Chocolate Pi

Jan 11, 2005
Originally posted by: dunno99

HUH? For today's games where physics take place only on the CPU, the GPU only does graphics related stuff. So, unless your rig is CPU constrained, you shouldn't need a PPU at all. The point of the PPU today is that it frees up the CPU to do other things, like AI, state management, physical mesh deformations, etc..., not to do AA and HDR. AA and HDR are both done only on the GPU (minus the setup and instructions to perform them on the CPU, which is minimal...of course, this is considering if the devs are smart and don't decide to do them on the CPU by reading back from the off-screen framebuffer).

This couldn't be more wrong. AGEIA is talking about an entirely new scale of physics that the CPU could never dream of. Saying it exists to free up CPU cycles is like saying the only reason we have video cards is to lighten the rendering burden on the CPU...

Drayvn

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
Top 2 posts are both true.

The PC version was indeed delayed even more because they wanted to add more tactical depth and make the AI harder because of the quicker response from the PC user with his set up. They have also added more multiplayer options and stuff like that too. I dont know about the graphical effects and as Ben has stated the Xenos does indeed have an upper hand in performance as it is quite a beast. But i doubt it will look at all different to the Xbox360 version when it does indeed come out.

And what Chocolate Pi states is very true. The PPU isnt there just to free up the CPU. The CPU can only handle at the most about 100 physics objects. The PPU can handle up to or even more as time goes on abtou 50000 physics objects which included cloth, water, destructible terrain and normal objects. Cloth can tear in many different random ways, normal objects can now blow apart with different fragments going everywhere instead of say a barrel just flying in one direction. Theyve actually successfully added water physics so you can in fact have a barrel full of water and shoot it and in real time water or any liquid can flow out of it and stay on the ground and move around just like/or nearly like real water, you can move it about you can blow it apart with explosions and it will scatter and will be affected by volume so when a large object gets dumped into a tub of water it will in fact rise.

Parkre

Jul 31, 2005
I can't wait.

Just imagine the possibilities!!!

You are cruisin around in Descent 5[\b], and brush up against a wall and the guns on the that side are now angled in from damage or maybe even broke. Maybe crushing in your cockpit, or bending just a arm off your mech warrior in MechWarrior 5[\b].

All the nascar race games. Bending all the panels up against the wall effects the areodynamics of your car.

You all think about the visual effects, barrels flying, things breaking...
I can't wait for the possible realistic simulations... and yes I know it will take away from some of the gameplay. But it would still be awsome.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Parkre
I can't wait.

Just imagine the possibilities!!!

You are cruisin around in Descent 5[\b], and brush up against a wall and the guns on the that side are now angled in from damage or maybe even broke. Maybe crushing in your cockpit, or bending just a arm off your mech warrior in MechWarrior 5[\b].

All the nascar race games. Bending all the panels up against the wall effects the areodynamics of your car.

You all think about the visual effects, barrels flying, things breaking...
I can't wait for the possible realistic simulations... and yes I know it will take away from some of the gameplay. But it would still be awsome.

Yeah, your character is running along, and all of a sudden - wham! Triple compound fracture of the fibula and tibia!

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
How about: you're running along in CS, and bang! You get shot in the leg and you're crawling on the floor for the rest of the round. That wont even require a PPU, but I dont see any games moving to that level of realism.

the Chase

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2005
Heh, yeah this is going to give the game coders a headache that the biggest aspirin in the world won't get rid of...

Dainas

Aug 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Amplifier
Originally posted by: Dainas
What I don't get (with Ageia) is why they didnt just jump straight to PCIe. Good ol PCI slots are becomming more and more restricted territory (2 on mine) and most high end systems have already put all of them to use.... while the PCIe 1x slots are still almost always all vacant.

Because the PCI-E x1 slots are inbetween the two x16 slots. Meaning anyone who uses two video cards does not have access to them (wtf I know). The market Ageia is targeting is the same market which buys two graphics cards By going x1 they'd be isolating a lot of enthusiests.

Umm that makes sense cept that 50% of dual vid mobos have a PCIe 1x slot right on top of the upper 16x slot. I just saw a shot of a A8N SLI and am trying to figure out what they were thinking by putting both slots between the video cards.