So many bad things happened at work today that were not within my control

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
1. Someone stole the Laptop sitting right on my desk last night (cleaning people)

2. Someone told my bosses boss that I was being rude we setting up equipment for them (not true). My boss and his boss and other associates sided with me based on the many problems from that person and department.

3. The video conferencing equipment didn't work on demand due to a bad cable which made me look stupid in front of 40 people.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: bonkers325
#1 was in your control

dont leave expensive equipment lying around overnight

Or at least make sure you use a lock, so even if the lock is broken, you're protected by the "I locked it up."

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
3. The video conferencing equipment didn't work on demand due to a bad cable which made me look stupid in front of 40 people.

Is that the equipment you were setting up for #2?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
#1 was in your control

QFT. I lock my regular work laptop at night, and have my MBP secured with a locking cable while I'm at work.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: newb111
#3 was in your control

Pre-test equipment before a meeting.

I didn't have enough time because that room was occupied all that morning. When I was able to get in there I had to turn everything on a shoot. So if something was bad I didn't have enought time to troubleshoot.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
. Someone told my bosses boss that I was being rude we setting up equipment for them (not true).

You didn't use both hands when you where tugging did you?

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Kadarin
#1 was in your control

QFT. I lock my regular work laptop at night, and have my MBP secured with a locking cable while I'm at work.

I couldn't even imagine someone would steal it because first it has Computrace (lo-jack for laptops). Second, the main door is locked and Third there are cameras located on almost every entrance.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
#1 was in your control

I couldn't even imagine someone would steal it because first it has Computrace (lo-jack for laptops). Second, the main door is locked and Third there are cameras located on almost every entrance.

OK, so #1 is a temporary inconvenience, #2 came out in your favor, and you really should have pre-tested the equipment in #3. Of course, no one ever does...

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Engraver

Is that the equipment you were setting up for #2?

No two different events.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: jagec
#1 was in your control

OK, so #1 is a temporary inconvenience, #2 came out in your favor, and you really should have pre-tested the equipment in #3. Of course, no one ever does...

I didn't have enough time because that room was occupied all that morning. When I was able to get in there I had to turn everything on a shoot. So if something was bad I didn't have enought time to troubleshoot.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
All of this could have been avoided if you just discussed ethics and politics with everyone.

Including the person who stole the computer?????

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Update:

They tracked my laptop down in a housekeeping cart. Its still intact and everything is there. Now they are trying to find who's cart that is. No one speaks english and no one is owning up to it. We tracked it inhouse. I don't know why they just don't call the police and they get a translator and arrest somebody.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Theres no excuse for #3. I ALWAYS do a pre-run of a presentation ahead of time. So what if the room was occupied prior... pre-run prior to that, butt crack early or the night before if you have to. And if something DOES go wrong, you should be able to smooth talk well enough/pass the blame so that everyone knows its not your fault. A cool appearence and some cheesy presentation humor goes a long way.

Whenever me and my boss hit a snag during a preso, he will bust out a reference to the Lions(we are near Detroit) or this year to Univ of Michigan football teams, usually causing everyone to go off topic for a minute or two, during which I fix the problem and am back on track by the time everyones attention is back on the screen. Never let anyone see you sweat when you're the presenter.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Awwwww. :(

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: jagec
#1 was in your control

were you just told about needing it today?
maybe you should do routine checkups like once a week or so?

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
welcome to management, my day is full of trying to resolve issues other employees cause at no fault of my own.