So it turns out that Chris Kyle is....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Do you keep a list of "those people?" :sneaky:
As a regular in P&N, I know who leans which way and the usual suspects are doing their usual. It would be better for them to just say what they're thinking. I hate Bush's war because I hate Bush. I hate people who fought in the war, I really hate people who are glorified because they fought in the war, I hate people who make movies about people that were glorified for fighting in the war and I hate people who profit from making those movies - because they have more than me.

Oh, and their hate is fully justified but people that they don't agree with, well, their hate is bad. It's all grade school thinking and behavior. And I hate it. ;)

Clint says this movie is an anti-war film and he should know. If you saw it and are capable of thinking beyond the next 60 seconds, it's easy to see that what he says is true. I saw it yesterday.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I'm going to add one more thing before this thread is either locked or moved to P&N. The OP has stated his pleasure in Chris Kyle being dead. He is pleased that the man was murdered. That is usually frowned upon here. But the thread still stands and there has not even been any even minor chastising of it. I get the message loud and clear and am not surprised in the slightest.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Did he say that? Because Bradley Cooper (on Howard Stern) said they really tried to make it a bio-pic, and not a pro-war or anti-war film.

And, in making it centered on a man who had to do some horrible things, it is anti-war. Nobody except idiots think this glorifies what happened there or idolizes the people who did it, beyond what we already do for soldiers.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I'm going to add one more thing before this thread is either locked or moved to P&N. The OP has stated his pleasure in Chris Kyle being dead. He is pleased that the man was murdered. That is usually frowned upon here. But the thread still stands and there has not even been any even minor chastising of it. I get the message loud and clear and am not surprised in the slightest.

The OP is a piece of S$@& for saying something like that. He hasn't even bothered to post again in this thread just shows him to be the A$%hat that he is.

You also have the people that take things out of context about Chief Kyle who then draw conclusions about the man without even reading his book.

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
Look, war is hell. My tour in Afghanistan was pretty mundane compared to some, but it can be very unnerving sitting in a room full of Afghan troops, some of which are armed and hoping that one of them didn't get bought off or threatened by the Taliban to open fire in the room.

Against the "rules" I always secretly chambered a round in my pistol and had it off safe in my holster. Then I loaded an extra round back into my 15-round magazine so that I could put down 16 rounds on any target and try to break contact if I couldn't eliminate the threat. Still, to this day, I will choose an oblique corner seat in any conference room I sit in.

Many people have lived a very comfortable life, never under direct threat of imminent death. Those people say some of the shit in this thread because they've never faced death or dealt with it beyond the mundane natural causes or the accidental tragedy of a family member or friend. There are those of us that faced imminent death daily for months on end who still have lingering effects of the memories and the training for months or years to survive.

This guy was a tortured soul. Sure, he made some choices to put himself in that situation, but to demean him for his issues is cowardly at best.

PS - I have not seen the movie. I'm not sure I want to. My wife and kids still get uneasy when I leave for Army business, even if it is staying at a hotel for a conference. War has wide ranging, lingering effects on those close to it. If you can't understand that, you never will.

Last edited:

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011

I hope I don't get chastised for writing that you are a complete fucktard because you are a complete fucktard.

You make something up: "He is pleased that the man was murdered." and then whine about it being accepted in ATOT? LOL GTFO. Then other simpletons quote your fake shit and continue the downward spiral of stupid. Just LOL. :)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I hope I don't get chastised for writing that you are a complete fucktard because you are a complete fucktard.

You make something up: "He is pleased that the man was murdered." and then whine about it being accepted in ATOT? LOL GTFO. Then other simpletons quote your fake shit and continue the downward spiral of stupid. Just LOL. :)

Did you read the OP? Stating "Chris Kyle is dead... Good." can only be taken one way. And, it certainly isn't "I'm anything but glad this guy is dead."

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
What's interesting is that only the Ventura story can be directly linked to something Kyle said or wrote himself. Everything else is based on what other people said he said. You know, "secondhand" stories?

Additionally, his military prowess, which the movie was based on, has, for the most part been confirmed. So, it would seem that the OP has something against people who lie, particularly those that lie that may be suffering from PTSD. Doesn't matter, apparently, how he lived his life, what he did otherwise. He told, or more appropriately - with the exception of the Ventura story - may have told some outragious lies that anyone with common sense would question, and that's enough for the OP to be pleased that he's dead.

The Libtard trolls are in over time since the movie is so popular. I say we send these idiots to Iraq where they belong!

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Look, war is hell. My tour in Afghanistan was pretty mundane compared to some, but it can be very unnerving sitting in a room full of Afghan troops, some of which are armed and hoping that one of them didn't get bought off or threatened by the Taliban to open fire in the room.

Against the "rules" I always secretly chambered a round in my pistol and had it off safe in my holster. Then I loaded an extra round back into my 15-round magazine so that I could put down 16 rounds on any target and try to break contact if I couldn't eliminate the threat. Still, to this day, I will choose an oblique corner seat in any conference room I sit in.

Many people have lived a very comfortable life, never under direct threat of imminent death. Those people say some of the shit in this thread because they've never faced death or dealt with it beyond the mundane natural causes or the accidental tragedy of a family member or friend. There are those of us that faced imminent death daily for months on end who still have lingering effects of the memories and the training for months or years to survive.

This guy was a tortured soul. Sure, he made some choices to put himself in that situation, but to demean him for his issues is cowardly at best.

PS - I have not seen the movie. I'm not sure I want to. My wife and kids still get uneasy when I leave for Army business, even if it is staying at a hotel for a conference. War has wide ranging, lingering effects on those close to it. If you can't understand that, you never will.
Nearly everyone I know didn't remove the chambered round when entering buildings that required unloaded firearms. The guys checking just needed to see you didn't have a magazine in your sidearm and you were good. The scary thing is you hear about guys working there for years suddenly detonation explosions in chow halls, but not to kill anyone. They are simply creating smoke and such for people outside the base to target with mortars.

And, if situations like this bother you I'd avoid it. I would certainly avoid letting your family see it, hearing that. My GF was emotional about it and I am not even in the military anymore. It is something a lot of people haven't really seen or will understand. The movie does a good job portraying some of the horrors (even if it is pretty dramatized) and the effects it has on a person and family.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012

Thank you for your service. :thumbsup:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Did you read the OP? Stating "Chris Kyle is dead... Good." can only be taken one way. And, it certainly isn't "I'm anything but glad this guy is dead."
Your explanation may have gone over his head. It's simple and concise but I think it might be a challenge for him.

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
Nearly everyone I know didn't remove the chambered round when entering buildings that required unloaded firearms. The guys checking just needed to see you didn't have a magazine in your sidearm and you were good. The scary thing is you hear about guys working there for years suddenly detonation explosions in chow halls, but not to kill anyone. They are simply creating smoke and such for people outside the base to target with mortars.

And, if situations like this bother you I'd avoid it. I would certainly avoid letting your family see it, hearing that. My GF was emotional about it and I am not even in the military anymore. It is something a lot of people haven't really seen or will understand. The movie does a good job portraying some of the horrors (even if it is pretty dramatized) and the effects it has on a person and family.

My point was more to illustrate to some of the commenters that they're passing judgement on a man who suffered far worse than me. Point being, even my regular engagements which ultimately led to nothing in terms of deadly encounters still had an impact not only on me, but my family as well.

It kills me to still have to explain to my youngest daughter (8 y.o.) that I'm only going to drill for the weekend and I will be staying in a hotel and I will be okay. I even went so far as to drag my entire family 3.5 hours away from home so they could see where I go for drill each month and rationalize that I'm not going to a war zone again. They went to the zoo at my urging and did some shopping in hopes that my youngest would associate me going out of town with something fun or positive versus what it was a year and a half ago.

So, if the movie captures that aspect of it, it's done a better job than most movies of capturing the toll that war takes on the homefront. Far too many Americans are so far removed from it these days that they just can't understand. I just wish they wouldn't form such strong opinions and share them so vehemently without any of the underlying context or understanding.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

You pretty much nailed him as he was portrayed in the movie.

Based on your post I would suggest you not see it. Your wife will get no comfort out of it and neither would your children although it may be that they are too young to see it. It will do nothing but create anxiety in all of you. It is not a feel good movie by any means. A movie about a normal guy that ends up a tortured soul (your words are about perfect) who is fighting to come back to a state of normalcy by attempting to help other veterans and gets murdered in the process.

Edit: I was typing as you made the previous post.

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
You pretty much nailed him as he was portrayed in the movie.

Based on your post I would suggest you not see it. Your wife will get no comfort out of it and neither would your children although it may be that they are too young to see it. It will do nothing but create anxiety in all of you. It is not a feel good movie by any means. A movie about a normal guy that ends up a tortured soul (your words are about perfect) who is fighting to come back to a state of normalcy by attempting to help other veterans and gets murdered in the process.

Edit: I was typing as you made the previous post.

Uncanny huh? I haven't read the book and I haven't watched the movie, yet I feel as though I already know it all too well.

Again, I'm fully functional, but I have memories that make me uneasy at times and I didn't deal in death.

I imagine I will get around to watching the movie sometime, but it will be me on a day off watching it on Netflix and sucking down some beer by myself. Don't think I will burden the family with it, but maybe, just maybe it will help reconcile my experience as far less weighty than that of others.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Uncanny huh? I haven't read the book and I haven't watched the movie, yet I feel as though I already know it all too well.

Again, I'm fully functional, but I have memories that make me uneasy at times and I didn't deal in death.

I imagine I will get around to watching the movie sometime, but it will be me on a day off watching it on Netflix and sucking down some beer by myself. Don't think I will burden the family with it, but maybe, just maybe it will help reconcile my experience as far less weighty than that of others.
Yeah, I wouldn't let your family watch this. The movie really does a good job showing what it is like both in the war (and how fellow servicemen react during their deployment) and at home. This movie won't give your wife and children any comfort, especially while you're still in. It certainly doesn't glorify what goes on there.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

Excellent post. I recently saw the movie and one of the main theme I got from the movie was how Chris Kyle was changed by the Iraq war. He felt he had to keep going back to save soldiers and was upset over the Americans he could not save. He was still being tortured by those thoughts but happened upon a VA psychiatrist who showed him how he could still help save American soldiers. Ultimately that led to his death when he spent time with soldiers who had returned from Iraq or Afghanistan.

The OP is a douche nozzle and asswipe on the level of Michael Moore. I doubt we will see him in this thread again.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
As a regular in P&N, I know who leans which way and the usual suspects are doing their usual. It would be better for them to just say what they're thinking. I hate Bush's war because I hate Bush. I hate people who fought in the war, I really hate people who are glorified because they fought in the war, I hate people who make movies about people that were glorified for fighting in the war and I hate people who profit from making those movies - because they have more than me.

Oh, and their hate is fully justified but people that they don't agree with, well, their hate is bad. It's all grade school thinking and behavior. And I hate it. ;)

Clint says this movie is an anti-war film and he should know. If you saw it and are capable of thinking beyond the next 60 seconds, it's easy to see that what he says is true. I saw it yesterday.

I keep going back and forth on whether or not I want to see this movie. A good friend of mine saw it over the weekend and he said he liked it very much and recommended I see it.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

Great post. Thank you. I remember a poster here a few years ago made a thread about waking up to a bunch of noise and alarms from the base he was stationed at. He got the lights on and an undetonated RPG shell had punctured through the plywood roof of his shelter. I can't even imagine how much something like that would screw with you let alone all of the other horrors you have to see/do.

It's just very surreal sitting here as a keyboard commando thinking about how bad my day is working IT. My most stressful day ever can't even begin to match to the reality that others work in an "office" that can have them killed on any given day or ask that they kill someone else.

I can try and relate and empathize. But it's just not really possible for me to get it.

There's so much emphasis on body counts and lives lost when it comes to combat losses. But very little in the way of lives destroyed through physical and long term mental harm done having to deal with those situations.

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
It's just very surreal sitting here as a keyboard commando thinking about how bad my day is working IT. My most stressful day ever can't even begin to match to the reality that others work in an "office" that can have them killed on any given day or ask that they kill someone else.

Funny thing is, I work in IT as a civilian and my work over there helped me to be far more calm in what used to be frustrating situations. I mean, it just isn't a big deal that e-mail is down after you've sat there wondering if the next mortar round you just heard hit is going to get you next.

Meetings that used to be high stress are far less so with the confidence that no one there is going to tell someone else to kill you or they'll kill your family who already has almost nothing in their lives anyway.