So is Comcast slow today or what 50kb/s thats not right!!

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003
So I'm getting under 50Kb/s all day today tested with several bandwith tests, I have this happening all all 3 of my computers. They share a cable modem and a Netgear HUB. I called comcast and they say all is well om there end.

Whats the problem? The Hub or the Cable modem, I tested the ping times and there great but the up/down speed sucks. I was get 200-300kb/s before.

Can a hub get slow? or does it just go BAD!. This is terrible I pay alot for cable access.

Please help me figure this out.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
I had slow ass speeds last night and this morning, but I hard-restarted my cable modem and came back up to 300+
KB/sec download speeds

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003
Originally posted by: TheBoyBlunder
Why oh why do you have a hub and not a router? That just seems wrong...

Cause i'm a Dumbass :eek:

I really need to get a router because comcast is charging me $10 extra a month for 4 IP addresses. :|

I want to get a wireless set up but I can't decide what to get. :confused:

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003
ok I unplugged the router, and just plugged the modem straight to the 1st computer. and I'm still getting slow speeds.
Its weird one test I'll get 60-70 kb/s, then another I'll get 120 kb/s. Then a couple of times it said 400+kb/s WTF?

I even tested some FTPS sites and I get slow speeds.

Bare in mind these speeds are good compared to some however when I WAS getting 200-300+ kb/s

And comcast claims all is well on there end.

So is anyone else with comcast having problems? Should I exchange my modem? Its not the computer cause my laptop has slow speeds too.

Test #1 62.88 Kbps
Test #2 237.28 Kbps
Test #3 126.16 Kbps
Test #4 139.04 Kbps
Test #5 39.12 Kbps
Test #6 87.84 Kbps
Test #7 59.68 Kbps
Test #8 481.2 Kbps WTF!
Test #9 116.04 Kbps

These are all from Mcafee Speed test site.

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003
Ok so I replaced the cable modem and Network Cable. And I still get slow speeds. The cable company says
I must have a VIRUS On all 3 systems. I think he's right. I just don't understand it, I ran norton with updated Defs
on all three systems and nothing!

I tried all 3 computers separately by bypassing the hub and hooking straight to each computer. Still Slow speeds

So I know the Network cards are OK and the Network cable so it MUST be a virus.

ALSO when I reboot my wifes computer the bios screen where it shows the drives the c: drive shows gibberish instead
of capacity. I ran chkdsk but no problems.

Can someone help me figure this out? Can someone PING me? PM me.