So I'm wondering, why didn't we see the emergency broadcast system implemented at all on 9/11/01?

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
I read about this in the Washington Post.

It's an interesting question, i means they *test* the system all the time (though frankly i haven't seen that done lately)

But it was never used that i know of on Sept. 11th.

Am i missing something? Seems like it was a good day to use it....

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Its used to evacuate people or get them to run to bomb shelters. Other than the immediate area, noone else was in danger, so using it would cause unncessary panic.

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
I think the EBS is usually only activated in times of emergency where you may need to be evacuated or remain indoors, such as hurricane, tornado, chemical leak, nuclear attack, etc.

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
This is a test. This station is conducting a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This is only a test.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. The broadcasters of your area in voluntary cooperation with the Federal, State and local authorities have developed this system to keep you informed in the event of an emergency. If this had been an actual emergency, the Attention Signal you just heard would have been followed by official information, news or instructions. This station serves the NEF area. This concludes this test of the Emergency Broadcast System.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Why would you need an emergency broadcast system if everyone is already broadcasting the event?

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
The EAS is designed to provide the President with a means to address the American people in the event of a national emergency. Through the EAS, the President would have access to thousands of broadcast stations, cable systems and participating satellite programmers to transmit a message to the public. The EAS and its predecessors, CONELRAD and the Emergency Broadcast System (EBS), have never been activated for this purpose. But beginning in 1963, the President permitted state and local level emergency information to be transmitted using the EBS.

radiocore

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by: pulse8
Why would you need an emergency broadcast system if everyone is already broadcasting the event?

This is what I'm thinking also. :)

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i guess they assumed that when people saw burning buildings on their tv sets it would produce the same effect.

BlueApple

Banned
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: pulse8

Bingo.

I read an interview with someone from the FCC and they said that it wasn?t implemented was because the television media could get information out faster than the government could.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
We interrupt this broadcast of the destruction of the WTC to bring you the following message from the Emergency Broacast System:

The WTC was just destroyed by terrorists. More details will be given as soon as we get them from watching the news.

That is all.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled interruption.

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
Bingo.

I read an interview with someone from the FCC and they said that it wasn?t implemented was because the television media could get information out faster than the government could.
LOL. It seems kinda funny when you think about the privatization of emergency broadcasts...

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Originally posted by: dwell
The EBS is only for End of the World scenarios.

Why would you need to broadcast anything if the world was ending??

amish

Because of the end of civilization, the Clamp Cable Network now leaves the air. We hope you've enjoyed our programming, but more importantly, we hope you've enjoyed life.
--Gremlins 2

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
This is a test. This station is conducting a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This is only a test.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. The broadcasters of your area in voluntary cooperation with the Federal, State and local authorities have developed this system to keep you informed in the event of an emergency. If this had been an actual emergency, the Attention Signal you just heard would have been followed by official information, news or instructions. This station serves the NEF area. This concludes this test of the Emergency Broadcast System.

Ouch, my ears hurt just thinking about it. :(