so i'm thinkin about going with dreamhost

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
i'm going to be making a personal website for myself and my brothers...basically just your average family/friend site that can holds videos , pics, etc...i remeber reading on here a lot of people liked dreamhost.com and i have read just about every page on their site about the plans...does anyone have anything to say about it? i guess i am scared bcuz it seems too good to be true...i mean...200gb storage+ 2tb transfer a month is a lot...and thats the smallest pkg...also, it seems like the people that run it are hardcore coders and possibly attract more coders to their service...and since you can have shell access i guess it kind of worries me that someone might fck up the server that is holding my site, lol...

anywho...if you have any input on DH specifically...please tell me all you know, like, dislike, uptime, downtime,customer service, etc. :) have they ever upped the price on u? do u know anything bad about DH? OR do you know anyone u think is better?

Mar 19, 2003
I had them for a year on their '777' deal ($9.24 for the year), now I'm self-hosting my gallery since I'd have had to pay full price to renew...They sure are overselling the hell out of their resources, but for a small personal site it's fine. I don't remember any downtime except for that massive blackout in California several months back, and their MySQL servers seemed rather slow, but if you can get one of their cheap deals it's sufficient for what you're proposing.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
i'm actually considering them too, seeing as everyoine thought SuperbHosting was too shady...

it does seem too good to be true, but i'm gonna watch this thread and hopefully sign up soon!

supertunger99

Jul 14, 2000
I have heard good things about dreamhost. If you have a slightly higher budget and know your way around linux well, you can spring for a VPS server. A cheap vps server can run as low as $20/month.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
i'm actually considering them too, seeing as everyoine thought SuperbHosting was too shady...

it does seem too good to be true, but i'm gonna watch this thread and hopefully sign up soon!

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001
I had them for a year on their '777' deal ($9.24 for the year), now I'm self-hosting my gallery since I'd have had to pay full price to renew...They sure are overselling the hell out of their resources, but for a small personal site it's fine. I don't remember any downtime except for that massive blackout in California several months back, and their MySQL servers seemed rather slow, but if you can get one of their cheap deals it's sufficient for what you're proposing.

yah...it will definitly be small (under 2gb) for a while...but we plan on having it for a long time (ppl getting married, babies, etc.) so i suppose it could grow big...we have a large family/subfam..so the amount of transfer really enticed me...
the slow SQL servers kind of bother sme though...i do plan on hosting some forums...not that they will be used very often...but slow forums piss me off, lol

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
For the casual hobbyist, the 777 deal was hard to beat. I don't think the post-deal ~$10/month was a particularly good price for how much I used it, but by that time (1 yr) you should have a good feel for what you need.

I liked having SSH accesss, especially since I can run things such as older FPS servers and shoutcast servers.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
Originally posted by: diegoalcatraz
For the casual hobbyist, the 777 deal was hard to beat. I don't think the post-deal ~$10/month was a particularly good price for how much I used it, but by that time (1 yr) you should have a good feel for what you need.

I liked having SSH accesss, especially since I can run things such as older FPS servers and shoutcast servers.

no ******...you can run a shoutcast server with their hosting?

IE: i upload some mp3s...setup the server...and have a streaming server that doesnt have a 30k upload? lol

i know i porbably wont use the amount of storage and transfer that i will get...but its nice to have just in case ... :p

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Journer

IE: i upload some mp3s...setup the server...and have a streaming server that doesnt have a 30k upload? lol

i know i porbably wont use the amount of storage and transfer that i will get...but its nice to have just in case ... :p

Yeah, you can. I was actually setting it up for my cousin to use; his preferred method was to run some kind of plugin provided by Nullsoft which would broadcast from his computer to the server, and the server would then relay to any clients. He was still occupying his limited ISP upload, but the station was getting to many more listerers than his personal bandwidth could've managed.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005

Yeah, you can. I was actually setting it up for my cousin to use; his preferred method was to run some kind of plugin provided by Nullsoft which would broadcast from his computer to the server, and the server would then relay to any clients. He was still occupying his limited ISP upload, but the station was getting to many more listerers than his personal bandwidth could've managed.

thats so badass :)

isnt there some site out there that does web host reviews...or a forums where people discuss...hostreviews.com ? i cant seem to find it...maybe im stupid

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
I was and wasn't happy with DH. My hosting ends at this beginning of next month. Uptime was decent but, in my opinion, DH was/is slow. Text is my gallery (Could possibly be NSFW). Tell me if it's slow to connect on your end..

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
I was and wasn't happy with DH. My hosting ends at this beginning of next month. Uptime was decent but, in my opinion, DH was/is slow. Text is my gallery. Tell me if it's slow to connect on your end..

it doesnt really seam that bad...
hmmmmmmmm damn...wtf should i do, lol...does NO one have any other host reccomendations?

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003

thats so badass :)

isnt there some site out there that does web host reviews...or a forums where people discuss...hostreviews.com ? i cant seem to find it...maybe im stupid
Look down a few lines in my sig

Aug 25, 2004
I've been with Dreamhost for nearly two years. What I like is:
1. shell access. they let you use PEAR, or compile and install almost anything. if you want, you can compile your own custom version of PHP. SSH + subversion makes me a happy developer.
2. clustered services. your website/ftp is separate from the sql servers, which are separate from the webmail service, which is separate from the mail servers, which are separate from the control panel, which is separate from the subversion servers. If one of them goes down, it has no effect whatsoever on the other services.
3. unlike many other hosts, they are upfront about their problems:
http://blog.dreamhost.com/
http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/ (before you read this, know that dh has over 100,000 websites.
4. almost unlimited websites/bandwidth/storage/etc. Yes, they oversell, but they won't kick you out if you decide to use all 200gigs of storage available.

Now the downside:
1. Not for beginners. Not for mission critical websites.
2. SQL server access can be slow sometimes. If your application is well written (better thought out SQL and a cache), this isn't a problem. (most people have problems when wordpress gets bombed. i just use a caching plugin and have no problems).

For $10 or $20 a year (whatever the current deal is), it doesn't cost much to try it out.

http://webhostingtalk.com/

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
i like what i hear so far...
i dont mind if the site is down from time to time...and its definitly not mission ciritcal
mysql slowness isnt a huge deal
as long as the site works, does what i want, and isnt stupidly slow..then i'm cool
i'm not a newb, but i'm no expert...i dont think i'de have to many problems though

ill probably sign up later tonite after reading some more reviews

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
so i went ahead and signed up with them...havnt had any problems so far...i was suprised how fast the domain name resolved across the interente...only took about 10 mins :eek:!

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
so i went ahead and signed up with them...havnt had any problems so far...i was suprised how fast the domain name resolved across the interente...only took about 10 mins :eek:!

awesome! good luck dude!
keep us posted on your experience with them cause i for one might sign up soon... peace! :beer:

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
my report so far:
been backing up some images for the past two days VIA sFTP...its working great...never dropped the connection...speed varies...it never goes below 50, but the average is almost what my connection can do, i'm very satisfied :) i havent noticed any problems with speed so far...even when viewing like 6mb pics...as for the SQL database slowness...i did the one click install for Joomla and havent noticed anything yet, but i havent really customized it...OH...the domains resovled extremely fast...only about 10-20 mins...i couldnt beleive it....anywho...more updates as time passes

mail has been working perfectly too :)