So I'm reading this review about a book when...

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
So I'm thinking of getting another book to read on slamma lama ding dong Amazon dot com, and I'm in ur comments readin ur reviewz when....what the...? I read this:
http://www.amazon.com/NLP-Essential-...cm_rdp_product

My first experience with NLP was with Tom Hoobyar himself, doing an impromptu session with me at a conference in a hotel. He said he could fix some of my "inner head trash" and asked me if there was an issue I'd like his help with. This was a decade ago.

I knew NLP worked because a lot of top platform presenters and sales people use it effectively to persuade - with embedded commands etc. Take-no-prisoners sales guys don't give a rip about theory, as long as it works. So I knew NLP wasn't hocus-pocus.

I explained how my oldest son, who then was 3 years old, had this odd way of being able to push my buttons and make me angry. I knew it was irrational and it was MY problem. And I didn't like it. I tended to get mad at him very easily. (But not either of the other two kids.) I knew it was damaging my relationship with the little guy.

Tom says, "OK Perry, describe a scene where your son does something that sets you off."

I think for a minute and say, "He walks to the refrigerator, opens it, pours himself a glass of milk. Then he drops the milk jug on the floor. It splits open and sprays milk all over the kitchen and I get MAD at him."

Tom says, "Great. Now when do you actually feel yourself getting angry? Is it when he spills the milk, or is it some other time?"

He talks me through the scene one frame at a time. I realize I get mad just *before* he spills the milk, not after.

Tom slows down the film strip even more and asks me if I'm seeing, hearing, smelling, or feeling anything else.

This is odd. Like. . . what??? I don't know what he's talking about.

But he helps me slow down the frames in my mind even more. Suddenly I realize that at a certain moment there's this sort of blue flash of light in my mind and it's a flash of ANGER. It actually has a location in space. It has color and texture.

"Great!" Tom says. "Now I want you to do something for me."

He stands up and walks across the room diagonally, from one corner to the other. He points to an invisible line on the floor and says, "This is the time line of your life. This corner is when you were born, that corner is someday when you die. Come stand here in the middle, in the present." (One of Tom Hoobyar's favorite techniques is helping you understand how you perceive your own time line. Everyone is different.)

I comply with his request. He says, "Now I want you to walk backwards on this line, towards the day you were born. Just as soon as you feel that feeling and see that blue flash of light, I want you stop."

Man, this is weird. How in the world is this going to ever work? It seems silly.

I walk backwards slowly. Suddenly about halfway back, I see that blue flash of light and I feel that same flash of anger. I stop.

Tom says, "Where are you? What do you see?"

I'm laying on my bed, with a brown bedspread, the bottom bunk of my bunkbed that I share with my brother. I'm 14 years old. I'm crying. My dad has cancer and he's about to have his kidney taken out and he may not make through the surgery. Or they might cut him open, see cancer all over the place and sew him back up and send him home to die. I'm terribly, horribly despondent.

Wow.

"Perry, somehow you attached your son's mistakes to your grief over your dad's cancer. That's not only anger, it's sadness. Every time he makes a big mistake, you relive that sad day when you were 14 years old for about 10 nanoseconds. You get angry and you don't even know why."

Dang. This actually makes logical sense.

"Is it OK if we fix your film strip?" He asks.

"Sure."

He does an exercise with me where he replaces that sadness frame on the film strip with a different memory.

After that, I don't get nearly as mad at my son anymore. The feeling wasn't completely gone, but 75% of that anger impulse went away. Just like that.

Wow. That is cool.

NLP has hard limits to what it can accomplish; it's not a cure-all. But Tom's book, based on 20 years of incredibly intense study and his NLP master practitioner experience, gives you great insight into how our minds work.

We all know we have a subconscious, but few realize there's all kinds of stuff going on one level below your awareness, flashes of sounds, smells, feelings and beliefs. They only appear for nanoseconds, but they have a huge impact on your feelings and behaviors. You don't have to get hypnotized to access them.

NLP makes it possible for you to slow the film strip down - not only for yourself but in conversations. Ways of making difficult conversations much easier. This is an easy to read book written in plain language, not "NLP-ese." There are a lot of not-very-user-friendly NLP courses and teachers out there, but this is NOT one of them.

You'll appreciate Tom as he shares with you in an easy, conversational voice what is really going on in your mind and perceptions. This is a chance to change the way you feel and communicate.

Is this how our minds work? What the? Amazing!

I'm in ur sobconcus readin ur thohts slowin the film strips dooownn lolz...

Oh also I'm listening to Rihanna.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91hDoSF0OKM

Rihanna-Cheers (Drink To That)

Lyrics:
Cheers to the fricken' weekend
I drink to that, yeah yeah
Oh let the jameson sink in
Don't let the bastards get ya down
Turn it around with another round
There's a party at the bar everybody putcha glasses up and I drink to that
I drink to thaaaaaaaat.

Life's too short to be sittin' round miserable
People gon' talk whether you doing bad or good, yeah
Got a drink on my mind and my mind on my money, yeah
Looking so bomb gonna find me a honeyyy
Got my Ray-bans on and I'm feelin' hella cool tonight, yeah
Everybody's vibin' so don't nobody start a fight, yeah-ah-ah-ah

Oh, let the jameson sink in
There's a party at the bar everybody putcha glasses up and I drink to thaaaaat
I drink to thaaaaaaaat.

Bout to hop on the bar, put it all on my card tonight, yeah
Might be mad in the morning but you know we goin hard tonight
It's getting coyote ugly up in here, no tyra
It's only up from here, no downward spiral
Got my raybands(??) on and I'm feelin' hella cool tonight, yeah
Everybody's vibin' so don't nobody start a fight, yeaaaahhh

I drink to thaaaaaaaaat.

I drink to thaaaaaaaat.
And I drink to thaaaat.
I drink to thaaaaaaat.
And I drink to that

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
That is most definitely not how my mind works.

Word? I'll drink to that!
8gemgd7.gif

shit. Well I almost drank to it.

Not as far as you know. It's outside of your awareness. These thoughts occur subconsciously. You'd only become aware of them if you did a similar exercise like the guy in that review did. The exercise would have to be tailored to you though.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
That takes the expression "having your wires crossed" to an all new level. Who knows. One thing I'm sure of, though, is that people can be screwed up in the head in more ways than science will ever know.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
That takes the expression "having your wires crossed" to an all new level. Who knows. One thing I'm sure of, though, is that people can be screwed up in the head in more ways than science will ever know.

Are you a psychic? How do you know what science will ever know? Can you predict the future all the way to t=∞? That's incredible! And I mean that literally! As in not credible!:D

Oh and one more question. Are you still sure of it?

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I skipped ahead in your post and thought that during reading the first quote that I would see some crazy connection to a Rihanna song. (In terms of insane parody or typical prince of bel air meme)

Disappointed in this thread all around. Just a bunch of shit everywhere.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
I skipped ahead in your post and thought that during reading the first quote that I would see some crazy connection to a Rihanna song. (In terms of insane parody or typical prince of bel air meme)

Disappointed in this thread all around. Just a bunch of shit everywhere.

Are you trying to make me feel sorry for you because you can't grasp a concept? If so it's working.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
This is completely off topic, but we will never know everything. I believe that more strongly than anything I do know.

You remember when we were neanderthals? Cromagnons? Yeah me neither.

We've evolved a bit since then haven't we?

Btw, the difference between our DNA and the DNA of a primate that cannot read this thread, let alone understand it, let alone invent the internet that made it possible, is what 2% difference in DNA?

Now try and imagine how much humanity could evolve in a few thousand years if they don't do something stupid like go extinct because of hate and fear.

I'm not saying humans will ever know everything. But I'm not going to make the mistake of putting limits on what can be accomplished in a future I have no way of knowing.

Last edited:

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012

Btw, the difference between our DNA and the DNA of a primate that cannot read this thread, let alone understand it, let alone invent the internet that made it possible, is what 2% difference in DNA?

Now try and imagine how much humanity could evolve in a few thousand years if they don't do something stupid like go extinct because of hate and fear.

I'm not saying humans will ever know everything. But I'm not going to make the mistake of putting limits on what can be accomplished in a future I have no way of knowing.

Woooosh.

You might want to start with some childrens' books. Amazon has quite a nice selection.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Let me share a little TRUE story with you.

One time, when I was a wee laddy, about yay tall. Ok like 20 x 365 days ago, plus or minus 1 x 10^something days....

I recorded one of my favorite shows on my 4 head VCR.

As I was watching the show, between the show and the commercial break there was a flash of white light. I thought...what the? That didn't look like an ordinary VHS tracking glitch, what the f__ was that?

So I rewind the mofo to before the glitch. I advance frame by frame. This particular VCR had that ability. It had a frame button on the remote. I get to the "glitch".

It's a frame fully white top to bottom. In the middle of the frame is a red cross, like the American Red Cross, you know? And below the red cross are the words: "Give Blood" in black letters. Just 1 frame.

I thought...this was no accident. They did that on purpose. They are using subliminal messaging to get people to give blood. I thought: Does that really work? No way that works right? I mean, how can it? I didn't even notice anything but a white flash. Couldn't read the text in full motion playback! But why would they go to the trouble to do that if it doesn't work? Mind. Blown.

Fast forward a few years later. 2014 lolz. When I find out that yes indeed it does work. Scientific double blind studies done. It does work, sometimes, with some people but it can work. Mind. Blown. Again.

So I been there. In your shoes. Unbelieving. I know your feelz. Do some research. I'm not going to do everything for you. Have fun. Mind. Blowing. :D

Cheers to the freakin mind...blowing...I'll drink to that yeeeeah.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Oh by the way subliminal messaging in advertising is illegal in some countries. Yes that's right there are laws against it. Here in the USA the FCC will revoke a station's license if they use subliminal messaging. So why would they go to the trouble of outlawing something that has no affect?

Last edited:

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Ok I get it. Really I do.

You guys aren't ready for this.

You want to take the blue pill and remain with your eyes closed to how your mind really works. That's fine. You can always change your mind later.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Sounds like somebody who really wants you to buy that book... Not much else

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Let me share a little TRUE story with you.

One time, when I was a wee laddy, about yay tall. Ok like 20 x 365 days ago, plus or minus 1 x 10^something days....

I recorded one of my favorite shows on my 4 head VCR.

As I was watching the show, between the show and the commercial break there was a flash of white light. I thought...what the? That didn't look like an ordinary VHS tracking glitch, what the f__ was that?

So I rewind the mofo to before the glitch. I advance frame by frame. This particular VCR had that ability. It had a frame button on the remote. I get to the "glitch".

It's a frame fully white top to bottom. In the middle of the frame is a red cross, like the American Red Cross, you know? And below the red cross are the words: "Give Blood" in black letters. Just 1 frame.

I thought...this was no accident. They did that on purpose. They are using subliminal messaging to get people to give blood. I thought: Does that really work? No way that works right? I mean, how can it? I didn't even notice anything but a white flash. Couldn't read the text in full motion playback! But why would they go to the trouble to do that if it doesn't work? Mind. Blown.

Fast forward a few years later. 2014 lolz. When I find out that yes indeed it does work. Scientific double blind studies done. It does work, sometimes, with some people but it can work. Mind. Blown. Again.

So I been there. In your shoes. Unbelieving. I know your feelz. Do some research. I'm not going to do everything for you. Have fun. Mind. Blowing. :D

Cheers to the freakin mind...blowing...I'll drink to that yeeeeah.

Yes, it does work. It's a good way to manipulate people. It works because most of our thinking is done subconsciously, when we're thinking about other things or asleep. We process most of the information we experience at a later time. It develops subconsciously and then it'll return to the conscious when something triggers it. This is why if you have a difficult problem it's best to just walk away from it, stop thinking about it and let your brain develop it. Go for a walk; take a nap. I prefer to take a shit or a shower. It's really neat how the brain works.

Last edited:

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001

I don't think so. This thread makes me want to hurl my poo at you.