So I'm moving to New Orleans...need TIPS!

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
But I'm flying there so I either need to check it into the plane or ship it via Fedex. I still have the box my Antec case came with so that should be good...

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips of how I should go about shipping this computer...anything that might help me prevent damage that isnt too much of a pain in the ass.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
here is a tip for you, watch out for hurricanes

Yeah...I'm going to grad school at tulane and they gave me an emergency contact sheet to fill out that had my #1 and #2 places for evacuation.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Two things-

Un-mount your CPU Heatsink/fan and ship outside or separately from the system so it doesn't break loose and trash the innards of the computer (happened to a friend).

Buy a raft.

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: rnp614
Originally posted by: MustangSVT
hmmm lots of insulation and padding... and good luck.

I have a feeling this could end with me in tears.

Just think positive, it's not a bashed in computer case. It's a computer in modern art.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Two things-

Un-mount your CPU Heatsink/fan and ship outside or separately from the system so it doesn't break loose and trash the innards of the computer (happened to a friend).

Buy a raft.

Actually I'm waiting to receive my X2...maybe I'll just wait until I get to NO to install it....and take the HSF off in the meantime.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000

yeah.. I cant imagine it being shipped in perfect condition.

I do suggest that you back up any info that u need on DVD and take it with you on the plane. and take the hdd out from the computer and put it in the box that hdds come with and pack that in its own box. hmm maybe you can put that in your air plane luggage and it might be safer.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003

yeah.. I cant imagine it being shipped in perfect condition.

I do suggest that you back up any info that u need on DVD and take it with you on the plane. and take the hdd out from the computer and put it in the box that hdds come with and pack that in its own box. hmm maybe you can put that in your air plane luggage and it might be safer.

Yeah I have an external, so anything necessary is on that thing. I dont really have any extremely important info on my computer.

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
I used Fed Ex to ship mine from SF to LA. Guess what, I had to buy a new computer. Crap wouldn't start up

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: bennylong
I used Fed Ex to ship mine from SF to LA. Guess what, I had to buy a new computer. Crap wouldn't start up

well thats encouraging. hahaha

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Feldenak
Here's a tip...don't live below sea level in a hurricane prone area.

thanks for the smart ass comment.

Why in the name of god's green earth did you choose to go to school in such an f'ing hell hole?

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: GuideBot
Originally posted by: Feldenak
Here's a tip...don't live below sea level in a hurricane prone area.

thanks for the smart ass comment.

Why in the name of god's green earth did you choose to go to school in such an f'ing hell hole?

I like the prgram. Plus, the area I'm living in was basically fine. The downtown area was basically okay.