So if I go visit England...

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
I don't have to worry about being shot by law abiding citizens, only criminals that own guns

also, don't have to worry about a hotel room, I can find a house where the true owners are on "holiday" for a few weeks and squat there without any sort of retribution

awesome! :twisted:

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
I don't have to worry about being shot by law abiding citizens, only criminals that own guns

also, don't have to worry about a hotel room, I can find a house where the true owners are on "holiday" for a few weeks and squat there without any sort of retribution

awesome! :twisted:

Yep. Enjoy. Please note the door to the house has to be left open.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Yep. Enjoy. Please note the door to the house has to be left open.

Open or simply unlocked? I mean, if I must break in to enjoy some tea and biscuits, I should at least not have to worry about deadly force being used against me...

however, if the door is unlocked I should assume I'm to be welcomed in and shown proper hospitality?

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
I don't like to visit countries without learning the language first.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
Open or simply unlocked? I mean, if I must break in to enjoy some tea and biscuits, I should at least not have to worry about deadly force being used against me...

however, if the door is unlocked I should assume I'm to be welcomed in and shown proper hospitality?

Unlocked and unoccupied.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
leave your hygiene at home, for you will not need it. It is important to try and blend in.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Unlocked and unoccupied.

how does one define "unoccupied" ??

If I go to work, my wife takes our daughter to school, then goes to work herself, and forgets to lock the door, that's like 6 hours a day my house is "unlocked and unoccupied" right? so someone could simply walk in and "claim" my house at that time?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006

"Prove it was closed! My testimony says it was open and I was the only one here to see it." :D

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Just yell "gun" and you'll easily spot neckbeard. He'll be the one who peed his pants.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001

so much "DOES NOT COMPUTE" going on right now in my head...

it sounds like this:

If I were to go to England, and find an "unoccupied" house with an unlocked door, all i need with me is a screwdriver and a door knob. I replace the "unlocked" door's knob and lock with the one I am carrying with me, and produce a key. I mean, from that link, this is all I have to do right?

"while the squatter has the opportunity to claim there is not sufficient proof or that the proper legal steps have not been taken. In order to occupy a house legally, a squatter must have exclusive access to that property, that is, be able to open and lock an entrance"

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
so much "DOES NOT COMPUTE" going on right now in my head...

it sounds like this:

If I were to go to England, and find an "unoccupied" house with an unlocked door, all i need with me is a screwdriver and a door knob. I replace the "unlocked" door's knob and lock with the one I am carrying with me, and produce a key. I mean, from that link, this is all I have to do right?

"while the squatter has the opportunity to claim there is not sufficient proof or that the proper legal steps have not been taken. In order to occupy a house legally, a squatter must have exclusive access to that property, that is, be able to open and lock an entrance"

You're learning. Well done you read the link.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
You're learning. Well done you read the link.

I'm no troll, I read as much about any issues I care and post about as I can, and try to post constructive arguments about them. I really just don't understand how squatters can get away with the shit they do, but like I posted in another thread, culture doesn't translate well

It just seems that the "loophole" I found and posted can actually be a LEGAL way to squat! Fuck that...

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
I'm no troll, I read as much about any issues I care and post about as I can, and try to post constructive arguments about them. I really just don't understand how squatters can get away with the shit they do, but like I posted in another thread, culture doesn't translate well

It just seems that the "loophole" I found and posted can actually be a LEGAL way to squat! Fuck that...

Yep. I'm fine with squatting in abandoned office buildings, it makes good sense, but not in private homes.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004

They can get away with it because it is legal. Laws prohibit justice, they do not create it. People are too afraid to live without law, but to frustrated to live with law.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
They can get away with it because it is legal. Laws prohibit justice, they do not create it. People are too afraid to live without law, but to frustrated to live with law.

Law does create justice, it creates order where else there would be chaos.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Laws are an agreed set of boundaries set by the society they govern to protect themselves and their livelihood against the things they wish to rid their society of.

They're not just a justification to cause punishment. How ignorant.

I mean, fuck, your own god has laws in place that are meant to provide more than a justification to cause punishment. You'd think your holier-than-thou ass would understand such simple things.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
Order exists without laws. Laws are justification to cause punishment, nothing more.

Justice can involve punishment, but they are more than that they are agreed by the society as boundaries that those in the society believe are to be accepted by all or lived outside of the society. They create order where there was none. Nature is random chaos not order.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
quick! someone create a Mac thread. I've discovered that neckbeard is like fly on shit when it comes to discussion relating to Apple. it sucks his attention away form the rest of the forum for at least 2 or 3 days.

We can get back to bashing England in this thread without his meddling.

:D