So, I went for a ride on Sunday with a friend of mine...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
What I'm saying is that it seems like a non-issue to end up in a pack of cruisers.
If they are riding at a pace that meets falls in legal limits and you are uncomfortable with being caught up in the pack then that is completely on you. You say this was a group riding in busy traffic.

If its busy traffic, what difference does it make if you are in the middle of a bunch of cruisers or stuck in between 2 SUV's? Why should anyone care about a rider sharing the road in busy traffic.

It was pretty busy going through Temecula but once the road narrowed into 1 lane each direction there wasn't much traffic at all and we could quickly dispatch any slow moving cars in front of us as long as it wasn't more than a few at a time.

Being a rolling roadblock isn't cool. As motorcyclists we don't like it when cars do it so why would you willingly do it to other motorcyclists?

Do you even ride bro? :sneaky:

Last edited:

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I was riding solo on my bike. My friend was riding his bike... neither one of us had any passengers.

As for gear? Full face helmet (it's the law), leather Alpinestars jacket, Dainese gloves (leather), Sidi boots and a pair of jeans.

Full face is now law? In Calif. only? When did that happen? I had a full face back in Calif. even before helmets were required. Meh, it just seemed better for me, personally, at the time, warmer too. Ariz. was ahead of Calif. on helmet laws by a year or two, so we had to pack one for spring break at Havasu, or the river.
Drinking age in Ariz. was at one time 19. Aah, the memories! Hundreds of young, drunk girls in bikini's, or less.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Full face is now law? In Calif. only? When did that happen? I had a full face back in Calif. even before helmets were required. Meh, it just seemed better for me, personally, at the time, warmer too. Ariz. was ahead of Calif. on helmet laws by a year or two, so we had to pack one for spring break at Havasu, or the river.
Drinking age in Ariz. was at one time 19. Aah, the memories! Hundreds of young, drunk girls in bikini's, or less.

I meant that helmets are the law... not full face helmets specifically. That's just what I wear (because I'm not an idiot).

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
It was pretty busy going through Temecula but once the road narrowed into 1 lane each direction there wasn't much traffic at all and we could quickly dispatch any slow moving cars in front of us as long as it wasn't more than a few at a time.

Being a rolling roadblock isn't cool. As motorcyclists we don't like it when cars do it so why would you willingly do it to other motorcyclists?

Do you even ride bro? :sneaky:

Were they doing the speed limit or greater?
If so no roadblock found.

As a rider, I've come across "rolling roadblocks" where another vehicle is basically ruining a run. If they are obeying the rules of the road, I don't fault them and just deal with it. While I am no patron saint when it comes to speed laws I am not going to criticize anyone for obeying speed limits or exercising their right to use the road within the constraints of the law.

Pass when I have the opportunity or in some cases, I just pull over prior to the good parts of the road and build a buffer. I will admit that at this point I simply don't ride during sane hours and save all my stuff for early morning before people wake up.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Were they doing the speed limit or greater?
If so no roadblock found.

As a rider, I've come across "rolling roadblocks" where another vehicle is basically ruining a run. If they are obeying the rules of the road, I don't fault them and just deal with it. While I am no patron saint when it comes to speed laws I am not going to criticize anyone for obeying speed limits or exercising their right to use the road within the constraints of the law.

Pass when I have the opportunity or in some cases, I just pull over prior to the good parts of the road and build a buffer. I will admit that at this point I simply don't ride during sane hours and save all my stuff for early morning before people wake up.

No, they weren't going the speed limit and when they got to anything resembling a curve they would slow way down. Once we passed them they disappeared behind us never to be seen again.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Its a group ride on a public road. Its not some official formation or public display. If other traffic ends up merging in due to road layout I don't see why it would be a big deal. They would be asshats if they gave you a problem.

I've run into similar circumstances. As long as you don't do something stupid, you'd be surprised how many cruiser riders would welcome you to whatever bar\restaurant they are heading to.

How dare you bring logic and common sense to the discussion.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I used to ride both sport bikes and cruisers. My father is a wantabe biker who builds and rides trikes in addition to his Harleys. I've been on lots of rides with him and friends and we always welcome other riders if they are cool.

We also give a polite wave to any and all bikers we pass or meet. Anyone on two or three wheels is an unofficial brother or sister unless you prove yourself to be an asshat. Even trucker kinda fit into the same class of folks. I've had truckers flash us their lights to warn us of speed traps ahead.

If you find yourself riding within a group and don't want to make some new friends, just pull over for a bit and wait for them to pass. Any large group has to integrate themselves into traffic in a safe manner. They can't push others out who get worked into the group, nor are they obligated to get out of your way beyond the old "slower traffic keep right" rule.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I remember coming home from South Carolina and driving 9 hours straight, we ran into a pack of bikers on the NJ Turnpike and there had to be 30 of them. Not only were they blocking the left passing lane doing 10 below the speed limit, they would not pull over to the rightmost lane to allow cars that want to drive faster by.

I think I followed them for at least 15 miles before I had a chance to pass. These assholes could have sped up, pulled over to the right, and let a whole pack of cars get by. Instead they had an abm on their bumper who had an inkling to just gun all of those fuckers down. :mad:

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I remember coming home from South Carolina and driving 9 hours straight, we ran into a pack of bikers on the NJ Turnpike and there had to be 30 of them. Not only were they blocking the left passing lane doing 10 below the speed limit, they would not pull over to the rightmost lane to allow cars that want to drive faster by.

I think I followed them for at least 15 miles before I had a chance to pass. These assholes could have sped up, pulled over to the right, and let a whole pack of cars get by. Instead they had an abm on their bumper who had an inkling to just gun all of those fuckers down. :mad:

As a resident of NY, I am amazed by this notion of people traveling under the speed limit.

I think I've seen it 5 times in my lifetime but at this point the memory is so hazy I'm not sure I actually saw it happen.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
NY'ers are the worst for driving under the limit in the left lane. I remember traveling to Montreal and the right lane was moving way faster than the left. A bunch of morons I tell ya. :mad:

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
As a resident of NY, I am amazed by this notion of people traveling under the speed limit.

I think I've seen it 5 times in my lifetime but at this point the memory is so hazy I'm not sure I actually saw it happen.

Odd, I see it happen almost every time I come up on a group of Harley's. 40 mph on the highway, blocking the road with 20 - 30 bikes. When I am on my bike I just go around them, no problem, but it's a little bit harder to pass a 300 foot long group of bikers in a car.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I should clarify that I'm on LI\NYC, not upstate.
Upstate is like a weirdoville with "Friendly people" and "Guns" and things called "Windy scenic roads"