So I was bored yesterday and bought TF2

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Title says it all. I am leaving my hard earned $50 in the hands of the AT PC Gaming Community.

To give you a little background on myself. I'm currently playing CoD4 and WoW. I like a variety of games (FPS, RTS, MMORPG, RPG). I never really cared for HL, HL2 etc. Yes I have a steam account, I rarely use it, I occasionally play CS:S but I'm not very good at it and quickly grow tired of being AWP'd every round (My wife said this paragraph sounds like a personal ad). :D

I bought the Orange Box yesterday because I was bored, it's sitting here on my desk still sealed. Help me choose whether to open it or take it back for another game. If you think I should take it back for something else please state what game in the thread.

I'll leave this thread up for a few hours. Depending on how successful this is we may do this again in the future. :)

Updated thread to include a portal option for the portal fans out there.
By the way, my use of l33tspeak and pun is an attempt at humor. I'm not really making fun of anyone. :)

Update- 8PM 2/17/08
I've installed the Orange Box as indicated by the majority of the AT PC Gaming forum. I fired up some Peggle Extreme for a few minutes, I'm already having a blast with the demo, hopefully TF2 will be just as good!

Thank you to everyone that participated!

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: potato28
Keep it. Portal and TF2 are amazing.

QFT

I still have not had a chance to play Episode 2, but Portal and TF2 are worth the $50 on their own.

KT

vanvock

Jan 1, 2005
Portal & TF2 are the main reasons I ordered it, the episode will be more like the bonus.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
I wouldn't pay $50 just for Portal, but I have a hard time spending $50 on any game.

As it happened, I ended up getting the Orange Box for Christmas. Portal is an excellent game, and TF2 is quite a lot of fun - very well balanced.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
The store workers should be officially certified to give anyone returning the orange box a good hard slap.

Sumguy

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2007
I'd say keep it. TF2 and portal alone are worth the $50, HL2 is just like a bonus for me (but an awesome bonus).

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
HL2/EP1/2 are great games in itself. TF2 is a great MP game that is really fun if you guys play as a team. CS:S is well, like you said you keep getting your ass kicked so just skip it. It's been out for a really long time so people are pro's at it now. Portal was my fav game of the year last year. It was original and fun at the same time.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Portal is the short quickie that will drag you into Orange Box, and TF2 is the heavy hitter that will keep you in.

Mar 11, 2004
I'm not a Valve fan myself (while I do like some of the things they do, I feel their execution often is what turns me off, case in point STEAM), but I have to admit that Team Fortress 2 looks like fun to me. Seems like I've heard people say it feels old (as in its similar in gameplay to older games), but I tend to like the simpler gameplay in games like this (I prefer Goldeneye to Perfect Dark multiplayer would be my easiest example, same with Halo versus Halo 2). I want to play Portal, mostly because of all the hype (which will probably end up with me not liking it, but oh well).