so I think my '91 Sable is finally dead . . .

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
so my little sister calls from school, car won't move, but the engine is turning fine.

Of course I'm assuming the tranny is dead and that the car is therefore totalled.

Unless there is something else it could be that'd be cheap to fix . . . please, give me hope.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Make sure the emergency brake isn't on? I had a friend do that. Called out the flatbed, had it towed to his place, and the next day figured out it was just the e-brake (he hadn't driven in a few years).

huesmann

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Yeah, hit the wrecking yard. There's gotta be a junked tranny somewhere from a headon or something.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Just had that happen on my friends old beater taraus with 200k+ miles on it. Had reverse but nothing else. Its dead. The trans in those aren't none for their longevity.

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf
Just had that happen on my friends old beater taraus with 200k+ miles on it. Had reverse but nothing else. Its dead. The trans in those aren't none for their longevity.

I'd say 200k+ miles is pretty good for an automatic trans...unless it had been previously replaced, of course.

You can find a trans cheap in a junkyard. Less than $100, I'd bet. The V6 engine / auto trans combo in those cars is about as common as a blade of grass.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Black88GTA

I'd say 200k+ miles is pretty good for an automatic trans...unless it had been previously replaced, of course.

You can find a trans cheap in a junkyard. Less than $100, I'd bet. The V6 engine / auto trans combo in those cars is about as common as a blade of grass.

I just went outside and counted 4638 blades of grass and didn't find a single transmission.

Asshole.

MaverickBP

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Scouzer

I just went outside and counted 4638 blades of grass and didn't find a single transmission.

Asshole.

lol

BullyCanadian

Platinum Member
May 4, 2003
Originally posted by: MaverickBP

Asshole.

lol

hahahaha

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
OK, talked to my sister more.

Apparently it works . . a little.

it sounds, the way she's described it, that its just not ever shifting out of first, or it looses gear as speeds up . . it works great at low (<10mph) speeds but after that nothing.

is this a death spell or is this just one of those "change the fluid" issues.

I don't know enough about cars to be swapping trannies, though it would be fun to learn. Doubt my parents would let me try, though.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Snapped axle. Or a broken linkage. Unlikely that the transmission went out completely. Much more likely that one of the axles or CV joints came apart or the transmission linkage cable snapped, leaving the car stuck in park. Neither should be terribly expensive to fix.

ZV

EDIT: Oh, it does move. In that case, transmission, yup.

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
the tranny would be cheap but then the labor would kill ya. not worth it for a car that's worth less than $1k IMO.

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BullyCanadian
Originally posted by: MaverickBP

Asshole.

lol

hahahaha
No sh!t, I am laughing my ass off here :laugh:

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus
OK, talked to my sister more.

Apparently it works . . a little.

it sounds, the way she's described it, that its just not ever shifting out of first, or it looses gear as speeds up . . it works great at low (<10mph) speeds but after that nothing.

is this a death spell or is this just one of those "change the fluid" issues.

I don't know enough about cars to be swapping trannies, though it would be fun to learn. Doubt my parents would let me try, though.

It's lost the 2/4 clutch. Reverse doesn't work either, right?

I think it's the end. :(

lavagirl669

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2004
I just had this happen with my 99' Isuzu SUV.

Costed $4K plus to fix it.... :(

luckily I got the dealer to pay for 2/3 of it even though it was 3 months out
of drive train warranty.

Still sucked though.....BIG time....good luck!

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: lavagirl669
I just had this happen with my 99' Isuzu SUV.

Costed $4K plus to fix it.... :(

luckily I got the dealer to pay for 2/3 of it even though it was 3 months out
of drive train warranty.

Still sucked though.....BIG time....good luck!

costed isn't a word

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
The problem with getting a junkyard trans is most of the tauruses(whatever) are probably in there because their trans died.