So I quit drinking soda again....

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well I went 2 1/2 days without any diet Mountain Dew and fighting the cravings as best as I can. I made sure I have plenty of tea mix on hand this time.

Soda has cost me way too much money and not to mention ruining my health drinking it. So I'm wondering if I would have a million dollars right now if I never drank any soda in my life? I'm 44. Or at least be well off.

Parents, please do not let your kids drink soda. It is not good for them or could up costing them a small fortune as they grow older.

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
Soda cost you money? It's on sale frequently enough it should always be cheaper than bottled water, juice, milk, beer, wine and energy drinks.

It's a great idea to quit soda for health reasons, but even if you replace it entirely with tap water I don't think it will make a huge financial difference.

Unless maybe you eat out a lot - skipping the soda at restaurants and fast food joints will save you a pretty penny.

Reactions: Ken g6

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Soda cost you money? It's on sale frequently enough it should always be cheaper than bottled water, juice, milk, beer, wine and energy drinks.

It's a great idea to quit soda for health reasons, but even if you replace it entirely with tap water I don't think it will make a huge financial difference.

Unless maybe you eat out a lot - skipping the soda at restaurants and fast food joints will save you a pretty penny.
I drink a lot of it and 7-11 is just right around the corner....

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I quit drinking soda years ago. After awhile I didn't miss it. Once you get used to not having heavily sweetened things, it becomes a turnoff. It was for me anyway. I drink the occasional soda; usually some kind of expensive boutique brand, but my yearly average is ~1 soda/week.

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
I drink a lot of it and 7-11 is just right around the corner....

I stand corrected. If you are buying frequently from 7-11 quitting earlier might have made you a millionaire (or at least a lot closer than I was envisioning based on 12 packs or 2-liters from grocery stores).

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I stand corrected. If you are buying frequently from 7-11 quitting earlier might have made you a millionaire (or at least a lot closer than I was envisioning based on 12 packs or 2-liters from grocery stores).
I favored draft soda, and would use refillable 44oz+ cups. I drank a minimum of two per day, so my yearly average was probably $2.25/per day($1 per fill and a bit extra for when I got more). $821/year. Kind of a lot when you add it up like that.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well I was drinking two to four 2L bottles a day plus buying whatever junk while I was there.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I can barely tolerate sweet stuff as it is, but the artificial sweet stuff is just revolting. I can't even drink Gatorade anymore, it tastes like fake sugar.

I think I've had maybe 3 or 4 sodas in the last 10 years. I just drink water or beer. ....Of course I lose a lot of money on beer. :D

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Thinking back, I've had a horseshoe up my ass regarding my vices. I started handrolling cigarettes just before cigarette prices skyrocketed. I quit smoking altogether just before prices on ryo tobacco went way up to prerolled levels, and I quit drinking soda before my metabolism went to hell, so I didn't get weight problems. None of those decisions were based on the desirable outcomes that followed. They just happened.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Thinking back, I've had a horseshoe up my ass regarding my vices. I started handrolling cigarettes just before cigarette prices skyrocketed. I quit smoking altogether just before prices on ryo tobacco went way up to prerolled levels, and I quit drinking soda before my metabolism went to hell, so I didn't get weight problems. None of those decisions were based on the desirable outcomes that followed. They just happened.
I wish I had that horseshoe...

Nov 8, 2012
Do like I did - Give us sugary sodas but take up excessive drinking. Way more healthy...

No but seriously, I never care for sodas anymore - ESPECIALLY normal soda. I can down a diet coke if I have little choices at a fast food joint - but in general I don't crave or need it.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I was getting stomach pains for many years in my adolescence into my 20s. I didn't realize it was the carbonation in the sodas my stomach couldn't handle until 1 day it dawned on me. I had drank it as normal since my childhood because my parents always bought it. Giving it up has helped tremendously. As a result, we never really introduced soda into my kids' diet so they're pretty much only on water / low-fat chocolate milk and the rare occasional juice. We're sort of healthy-living without trying to be health-conscious. We're all just fine without the super-sweet stuff. I very much enjoy a nice cold ice-water. I'm also alcohol-free so as vanilla as it gets.

Nov 8, 2012
I was getting stomach pains for many years in my adolescence into my 20s. I didn't realize it was the carbonation in the sodas my stomach couldn't handle until 1 day it dawned on me. I had drank it as normal since my childhood because my parents always bought it. Giving it up has helped tremendously. As a result, we never really introduced soda into my kids' diet so they're pretty much only on water / low-fat chocolate milk and the rare occasional juice. We're sort of healthy-living without trying to be health-conscious. We're all just fine without the super-sweet stuff. I very much enjoy a nice cold ice-water. I'm also alcohol-free so as vanilla as it gets.

Is it actually the carbonation? Seems a bit far-fetched. Do you get the same from sparkling water? Or beer?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Is it actually the carbonation? Seems a bit far-fetched. Do you get the same from sparkling water? Or beer?

I can't stand the latter 2, but I know that the carbonation builds up in my stomach and bloats it into much discomfort. It's pretty much within an hour it happens. I also can't belch it out.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
TIL rh71's a horse

A horse is a horse, of course, of course,
And no one can talk to a horse of course
That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous rh71

:^P

Nov 8, 2012
^ no idea where that's going.

f8264d45c428c3df6de77770c0e06766.jpg

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
^ no idea where that's going.
Horses can't burp, and they get colic ;^)

edit:
Since humans can burp, that means you must be a horse. Or a bird... I didn't consider that possibility... :^/

May 11, 2008
I stay away from soda already unless it is a Bacardi rum + (sugar laced) cola once in a while.
It is good that my life is changing so much, i had my blood checked for several reasons (Like testing for STD before going into a relationship, all negative yay.) and although it is just a momentary measurement, my blood sugar levels are 6.5 and 7 means being diabetic.
But i had these kinds of weird measurements before. I will be measured again soon and then it will probably be a lot lower again.
Weight is also an issue. I was a bit overweight being 249 (113kg) pounds a few months ago.
I am losing weight already , i am now at 229 pounds (104 kg).
I am tall (1.90m) , but i do notice that my degree of freedom in movement of my spine and my hips and legs is increasing since my belly is shrinking. I also move faster, i can run up the stairs again with two steps at once. It feels a lot better.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I quit drinking diet cola when one of those Costco door hounds (counts the items in your cart, makes sure it matches the number on your receipt) commented that the soda in my cart wasn't good for me. I decided he was spot on and quit then and there.

As a test I ordered a regular cola in a restaurant a few years ago. I drank some and didn't finish it. Didn't taste good. I don't miss soda. I drink a lot of coffee, occasionally other stuff (tea, herbal tea, lemonade, a little red wine, a brew once in a while...in a pinch I've been known to drink water).