Question So...I murdered my video card...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Last weekend, I took my PC apart to blow the dust out...in the process, I stuck my fat fingers into one of the fans on my ASUS 2070 dual card and broke two blades. :eek: ASUS won't just sell a replacement fan, so I sent it to them for repair....their reply today...$499 plus sales tax. o_O

So, rather than do that, I'm in the market for a new card. I just don't trust the used card market...too many miners dumping cards that were run hard 24/7. You just don't know what you're getting.
I don't need (nor can I afford) a top of the line card, so no 3080, 3080ti, 3090 cards...probably looking at an RTX3070/3070Ti in my price range. Around $500 is preferred, but could stretch it to about $600 for the right deal.
I haven't run an ATi/AMD card since the X850XT PE card I bought in the early 00's...but am trying to keep an open mind. RX6700XT, 6750XT, 6800XT, all are more than I WANT to spend, but are doable. So...how are the various AMD card manufacturers? EVGA is my preferred nVidia card mfgr, but (in spite of my current issue)ASUS has been OK for me too. I know Zotac is one to avoid, Gigabyte has a bad rep following the exploding PSU debacle.

Recommendations?

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
I can vouch for the RTX 3060ti ASUS KO edition being a solid card. The coil whine is as low as you're going to get with a modern video card. No driver issues. Has good temps. And by the time it is obsolete the RTX 3070 will be as well. $529.00

On the other hand, I also recommend trying to get the 2070 fixed and wait on the 4000 series.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Now that my "vacation" is over...

ASUS really ticked me off with this whole thing. The first chat agent I chatted with ASSURED me they could replace the fan...IF I paid their diagnostic fee and sent it in...only to be told "we don't replace fans. You can pay us $499 for a refurbished card...with a 90 day warranty."
I opted to have it returned un-repaired and SHOULD get it back Saturday...then I can see about sourcing a fan myself.

Reactions: Ranulf and psolord

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So...I took advantage of the EVGA sale and ordered an RTX3070 card on Friday. SUPPOSED to arrive this week...BUT..........

the unrepaired ASUS RTX2070 card arrived here today. I took it apart, got the part number and fan blade diameter...went on line, found an appropriate replacement fan. $23.00 including shipping. (do I dare tell Mrs. Boomer?) :D

Not sure exactly when it will arrive...I DON'T THINK it's shipping from China...but who knows? Once I get that card fixed, I can (a) sell it on Facebook Marketplace, (b) sell in on the ATFS/T forums, (c) sell it on Craigslist, (we're not really in an area covered by CL), or give it to my grandson to use in his gaming computer. (I think he has a 1050 in there now) Looks like similar cards have been listed for $300-$500 on CL and FB. We'll see. With the crashing crypto market...it might be worth tree-fiddy.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Now that my "vacation" is over...

ASUS really ticked me off with this whole thing. The first chat agent I chatted with ASSURED me they could replace the fan...IF I paid their diagnostic fee and sent it in...only to be told "we don't replace fans. You can pay us $499 for a refurbished card...with a 90 day warranty."
I opted to have it returned un-repaired and SHOULD get it back Saturday...then I can see about sourcing a fan myself.

Asus once again living up to its reputation on RMA customer service shenanigans. I don't even have to look for horror stories every year, they just show up in various forums.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Hah! I did the same thing to my 3 fan 1080 gtx. Twice in fact! Fist time it was fan A second time it was fan C. In both instances I purchased OEM parts from Amazon for around 20 buck a pop and changed them myself. Wasn't too hard but i've been fixing computers since the 80s.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Hah! I did the same thing to my 3 fan 1080 gtx. Twice in fact! Fist time it was fan A second time it was fan C. In both instances I purchased OEM parts from Amazon for around 20 buck a pop and changed them myself. Wasn't too hard but i've been fixing computers since the 80s.

Me too, but a quick google search gave me several options for the fan, so I thought, "Just let ASUS replace it with the right fan."
Nope...I ordered a fan that the site said would be delivered next week...but it's coming out of China ..so...Christmas?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Received the new EVGA 3070 FTW today. Nice card..."a bit bigger" than the ASUS 2070 it replaced. (notice the broken fan blades) :mad:

aar.sized.jpg

I've only fired up one game as a test...Wolfenstein The New Colossus. Game play seems the same...I keep getting the warning about running out of video memory... “The video driver has run out of dedicated video memory.” Both cards have 8gb of vram...
Otherwise, with settings pretty much maxed out, it looks like I'm getting 165fps at 1440 resolution. That's a bit higher than with the 2070, but not noticeably so.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
New fan arrived from China today. EXACT replacement for the broken fan...even has the ASUS sticker on the center.

aaw.sized.jpg

aat.sized.jpg

These things just keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger...

aau.sized.jpg

EVGA GTX 660, ASUS RTX 2070, EVGA RTX 3070. I pulled the 660 from my old system so I could run while I figured out what to do. It worked...but wasn't worth a crap for gaming. (hard to believe it was once hella fast)

I wish I'd have found the GPUfanreplacement.com site BEFORE I spent the $$$ on the 3070. The new card is a bit faster...but not $550 faster.