So, I just made my first post from Linux and...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
I installed Red Hat Fedora - procedure was about as easy as a normal Windows install. Packages seem adequate. For a coding environment, I like it just fine. Now if only it would connect to the internet .... :(

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Praetor
Originally posted by: silverpig
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Install gentoo.

Only after it has pecked your balls into the shape of a papaya, will I hear your crys.

Heh, it is tough to set up but soooo easy to maintain.

emerge -UD world

:)

Ugh. I'm still fighting Gentoo to recognize my GeForce ti4200 with 2.6. I've tried the minion.de patches, the patched installers, the nvidia-kernel ebuild, nada. But I know X will work, it works with Knoppix perfectly fine. I just have to find the magic combination.... I'm beginning to dream about it now....

odd,
my fx5600 works great with the nvidia kernel module (are you using the right driver...once you get the nvidia-module, you gotta change the driver from nv to nvidia). 2.6 was a major pita to get to work with my pcmcia wireless, i recompiled that thing at least 20 times

It took me good 2 -3 days to get it fully compiled on the p4 2.8 machine, my sparc ultra 5 300 took maybe a week of playing around.... Comiling x on that thing did take about 16 hrs :)

Praetor

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: Praetor
Originally posted by: silverpig
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Install gentoo.

Only after it has pecked your balls into the shape of a papaya, will I hear your crys.

Heh, it is tough to set up but soooo easy to maintain.

emerge -UD world

:)

Ugh. I'm still fighting Gentoo to recognize my GeForce ti4200 with 2.6. I've tried the minion.de patches, the patched installers, the nvidia-kernel ebuild, nada. But I know X will work, it works with Knoppix perfectly fine. I just have to find the magic combination.... I'm beginning to dream about it now....

odd,
my fx5600 works great with the nvidia kernel module (are you using the right driver...once you get the nvidia-module, you gotta change the driver from nv to nvidia). 2.6 was a major pita to get to work with my pcmcia wireless, i recompiled that thing at least 20 times

It took me good 2 -3 days to get it fully compiled on the p4 2.8 machine, my sparc ultra 5 300 took maybe a week of playing around.... Comiling x on that thing did take about 16 hrs :)

When I was using the Minion.de patches, I was getting an "error screens not found" or some such, with the xf86config changed to nvidia. Now with the nvidia-kernel ebuild, I'm getting something along the lines of driver not found, even though I have it added to, frick, what is it? conf.d/autoload? I can't remember off the top of my head.

Anyway. I'm having fun with it. :p I'm about ready to wipe the slate and start over (again) just for shits and giggles, maybe get something working that way.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: jumpr
Originally posted by: atom
I think Debian is #1, but it's not for noobs. For people who want instant gratification (ie. eye candy), stick to Mandrake or Gentoo. Haven't used redhat since 6.0. Bleh.
Gentoo is most certainly NOT instant gratification. Have you ever tried to install Gentoo? I did, two years ago. It's still "emerging" today.

i tried
i got as far as emerge and it....wouldnt. i could use lynx to browse /.
but i couldnt get emerge to download anything...after 3 hours of playing with it i said "screw it" and put mandrake on it in 15 minutes

i got rid of that box, too lazy to put anything on this one, bah.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
While there's a Linux thread about, could people please give me their opinions on RedHat?

Also, rank these distros (I put them in no particular order) if possible:

RedHat
Slackware
Debian
Gentoo
Mandrake
(specify more if you like)

Just that there's a lot of people in one of my classes who seem to think that RedHat is the BESTEST LINUX EVAR - and I don't think it got the handle "DeadRat" for nothing. :p

- M4H

redhat sucks i installed 9.0 at home and use 7.2 at work its a piece of garbage, in fact all linux is a piece of garbage, the difference between all these distros is stupid screen saver or background. the kernel is stupid and the shell is stupid and so is perl. i hate poor quality opensource garbage that people shove down your throat, if i had my way everyone who has contributed to opensource in anyway is struck down with lightning. stupid pos wannabes

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I've ran redhat 9.0 and now i'm running mandrake 9.2. On both of them I had to download a third party driver to get my network chip working on my nforce 2 board. Was kind of a pain to have to download it on windows and put it on a floppy to transfer to linux. Also on both redhat and mandrake the opengl games that come with linux (chromium, that penguin racing game, etc.) ran at like 2fps on my 9500 pro. I tried downloading the newest xfree86 and that didn't help. Any tips for making opengl games work in linux on an ati card?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I installed linux once, on a 64-bit machine too...though I never could get the proper fonts installed though so I gave up.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Ameesh
While there's a Linux thread about, could people please give me their opinions on RedHat?

RedHat
Slackware
Debian
Gentoo
Mandrake

Just that there's a lot of people in one of my classes who seem to think that RedHat is the BESTEST LINUX EVAR - and I don't think it got the handle "DeadRat" for nothing. :p

- M4H

redhat sucks i installed 9.0 at home and use 7.2 at work its a piece of garbage, in fact all linux is a piece of garbage, the difference between all these distros is stupid screen saver or background. the kernel is stupid and the shell is stupid and so is perl. i hate poor quality opensource garbage that people shove down your throat, if i had my way everyone who has contributed to opensource in anyway is struck down with lightning. stupid pos wannabes

Skoorb much?

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: KingNothing
Originally posted by: Ameesh

RedHat
Slackware
Debian
Gentoo
Mandrake

- M4H

Skoorb much?

im dead serious

BullsOnParade

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2003
lemme know if you need help with the ati drivers. check rage3d's linux forums, there's an ati howto that
gives you what to do for each distro.

dM

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I plan on installing redhat later on tonight because I know that I can get it installed and configured correctly.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: BullsOnParade
lemme know if you need help with the ati drivers. check rage3d's linux forums, there's an ati howto that
gives you what to do for each distro.

dM
Thanks for the info. I'm looking to upgrade the video card on one of my linux boxes. Rage 3d looks like a good resource.