So, I just made my first post from Linux and...

JustAnAverageGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 1, 2003
I just wasted it telling you guys that I finally got Mandrake 9.2 going on a 9800 pro :p .

Was a pain getting Mandrake going on this thing, but after just a very quick overview of it(8 minutes installed total), I can say I absolutely LOVE the background stuff. Having an elliptic fog cover the background is cool :)

Now to find out how to install the ATi driver :confused:

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Install gentoo.

Only after it has pecked your balls into the shape of a papaya, will I hear your crys.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Let me know how it goes...I'm in the market for a video card and I've been told that linux support for ATI cards isn't the best.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Mandrake is cake compared to getting some of the other distros going. Debian was a pain in the ass to get properly configured on my laptop.

Thanks again, CorporateRecreation, for your help.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I almost never boot to Linux anymore.

Windows XP Pro does pretty much everything I need.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: KingNothing
Let me know how it goes...I'm in the market for a video card and I've been told that linux support for ATI cards isn't the best.

It's not great, but it's still decent. Nvidia has great video card support, but their nforce2 sound support is HORRIBLE.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Install gentoo.

Only after it has pecked your balls into the shape of a papaya, will I hear your crys.

Heh, it is tough to set up but soooo easy to maintain.

emerge -UD world

:)

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
I almost never boot to Linux anymore.

Windows XP Pro does pretty much everything I need.

Yes but can it do ls -l?

:p

you shouldnt be complaining about mandrake install.... mandrake has an assembly line of trained monkeys that do the oem installs.

Gentoo is really fun distro to play with, i have it on all my machines currently. (sun ultra 5, p4 and my lappy). It works great with almost all support (if firewise says experimental, it most likely fvcks somethign up.... somethign i learned the hard way)

Praetor

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: silverpig
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Install gentoo.

Heh, it is tough to set up but soooo easy to maintain.

emerge -UD world

:)

Ugh. I'm still fighting Gentoo to recognize my GeForce ti4200 with 2.6. I've tried the minion.de patches, the patched installers, the nvidia-kernel ebuild, nada. But I know X will work, it works with Knoppix perfectly fine. I just have to find the magic combination.... I'm beginning to dream about it now....

Jan 31, 2002
While there's a Linux thread about, could people please give me their opinions on RedHat?

Also, rank these distros (I put them in no particular order) if possible:

RedHat
Slackware
Debian
Gentoo
Mandrake
(specify more if you like)

Just that there's a lot of people in one of my classes who seem to think that RedHat is the BESTEST LINUX EVAR - and I don't think it got the handle "DeadRat" for nothing. :p

- M4H

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
I think Debian is #1, but it's not for noobs. For people who want instant gratification (ie. eye candy), stick to Mandrake or Gentoo. Haven't used redhat since 6.0. Bleh.

Chumpman

Banned
Feb 26, 2003
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
While there's a Linux thread about, could people please give me their opinions on RedHat?

RedHat
Slackware
Debian
Gentoo
Mandrake

Just that there's a lot of people in one of my classes who seem to think that RedHat is the BESTEST LINUX EVAR - and I don't think it got the handle "DeadRat" for nothing. :p

- M4H

I'd put it like:

Debian
Slackware
Gentoo
Mandrake
Redhate

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: atom
I think Debian is #1, but it's not for noobs. For people who want instant gratification (ie. eye candy), stick to Mandrake or Gentoo. Haven't used redhat since 6.0. Bleh.
I learned on Debian.:p

oniq

Banned
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire

RedHat
Slackware
Debian
Gentoo
Mandrake

- M4H

Gentoo
Slackware
Debian
Mandrake
Redhat

Gentoo is most certainly NOT instant gratification. Have you ever tried to install Gentoo? I did, two years ago. It's still "emerging" today.

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: murphy55d
I am going to try out Solaris X86 just for the hell of it. :p

cant install it on my laptop :D ,

solaris rocks tho, well ne way for home xp is good enuf, i work in vi/emacs all day at work, cant stand more console crap even at home :D

Jan 31, 2002
Thanks for the quick clarification of what I already knew - Redhat sucks. :D

Unfortunately, that's what is being taught in the course, so I have to install RH9 :(

- M4H

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: jumpr
Gentoo is most certainly NOT instant gratification. Have you ever tried to install Gentoo? I did, two years ago. It's still "emerging" today.

The waiting isn't that big of a deal. When I tried it, everything was pretty straightforward. Waiting for everything to load up is a lot easier and a lot less stressful than having to figure things out for yourself.

oniq

Banned
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: jumpr

Geez, you must have a real slow computer. I got Gentoo on my G3 600mhz iBook, and I have no complaints. Once everything is setup, you don't have to worry about emerging anything you can have that in the background while you do other stuff.