• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

So, i just decided to give my support to Ron Paul...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PaperclipGod

Banned
Apr 7, 2003
2,021
0
0
Originally posted by: halik
It's tough to argue individuality when I see the same B.S. copy & pasted all over the internet. You can't spam election and throwing in the word 'freedom' in every other sentence doesn't make your argument any more cogent.
So you think Paul would make more sense if his message was so schizophrenic that his supporters arguments were different every time they spoke? Honestly, if you want to critique a politician for spouting the same stuff over and over, just look at the establishment candidates - they're all for big government, they're all for a continued presence in the mideast, and yet each of them want us to believe that they alone are the true arbiters of "change". :/

And FFS, will someone just humor me and try to refute my original post? I'm not a spambot. I read what Paul is offering and i was impressed by it. Tell me why i'm wrong and maybe i'll reconsider. If you truly care about the election, then use this as an opportunity to influence a voter and TALK TO ME. Enough with the "hahahraeha ron paul sux kthxbai" responses.
 

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
11,521
0
76
I have two questions for you.. First, does an annual membership as a "Captain" come with any freebies? I'd join up if I could get a cool hat, or something... maybe some fr4ee itunes downloads?

no?

I also heard that RP invented a cure for sadness, stubbed toes, and dirt... is it true?

OK, that was three questions... my bad.

anyways, OP, go read THIS thread.
 

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
37,563
9
81
Originally posted by: palehorse74
I have two questions for you.. First, does an annual membership as a "Captain" come with any freebies? I'd join up if I could get a cool hat, or something... maybe some fr4ee itunes downloads?

no?

I also heard that RP invented a cure for sadness, stubbed toes, and dirt... is it true?

OK, that was three questions... my bad.

anyways, OP, go read THIS thread.
Speaking of bots, here's one now...
 

TheNewbie

Senior member
Jul 17, 2007
747
0
0
Originally posted by: palehorse74
I have two questions for you.. First, does an annual membership as a "Captain" come with any freebies? I'd join up if I could get a cool hat, or something... maybe some fr4ee itunes downloads?

no?

I also heard that RP invented a cure for sadness, stubbed toes, and dirt... is it true?

OK, that was three questions... my bad.

anyways, OP, go read THIS thread.
Not sure about sadness, but when he drops out he'll cure many head aches we get here from his worshipers.
 

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
18,251
4
0
Originally posted by: PaperclipGod
Interesting that no one has refuted the reasons i listed for supporting Paul. I figured this would spark more of a discussion than "lol paulbot" vs "no u". :/
Dude we have been listening to Paul bots such as your self for months and months.

Just because this is YOUR first post on the subject does not mean we haven't talked about this till the point that most of us don't want to talk about it anymore.

My suggestion for you: go to the search feature and insert 'ron paul' and see how many results you get. There have been more threads about Paul than almost everyone else put together.
 

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
6,063
0
0
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: PaperclipGod
Interesting that no one has refuted the reasons i listed for supporting Paul. I figured this would spark more of a discussion than "lol paulbot" vs "no u". :/
Dude we have been listening to Paul bots such as your self for months and months.

Just because this is YOUR first post on the subject does not mean we haven't talked about this till the point that most of us don't want to talk about it anymore.

My suggestion for you: go to the search feature and insert 'ron paul' and see how many results you get. There have been more threads about Paul than almost everyone else put together.
You haven't listen to anything, you never do. You hear noises but it just goes out the other ear.
 

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
27,046
855
126
Geeks + forums + Ron Paul = nothing but white noise, bearing no "real world" effects. :laugh:
 

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
8,475
0
76
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: brxndxn
Originally posted by: narcotic
Give me a break... It's like every couple of hours a new RP bot spawns?
I strongly suggest consolidating RP new bots threads, just seems unnecessary to have 100 threads for the same topic...
I think it's about time the multitude of supporters reject the term 'paulbots'. It's insulting.. I, for one, am tired of it..

Paul's supporters are individual people.. fervent individual people. Every post I have ever made about Ron Paul has been my exact thoughts at the time.. never copied..
It's tough to argue individuality when I see the same B.S. copy & pasted all over the internet. You can't spam election and throwing in the word 'freedom' in every other sentence doesn't make your argument any more cogent.
What you just said hardly makes an argument and has no intentions of discussion. The 'same BS' that you refer to is first of all not BS and second, it is in the words of every individual that supports it.

Also, your second sentence is circular reasoning. It assumes that the argument is wrong in the first place, and assumes further using evidence that is in itself an assumption that one may (or usually) deem to be wrong.

If Ron Paul's 'same BS' is so bad, then discredit him or back off. Explain to us why he is so bad compared to the alternatives. And, you may not use errors in reasoning like your first attempt.

Here's a good list of errors in reasoning:

http://hawaii.hawaii.edu/wwwre...fallacydefinitions.htm

I will call you out if you argue against me trying to use them. Bring it.
 

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
18,256
68
86
Originally posted by: TheNewbie
Originally posted by: PaperclipGod
Interesting that no one has refuted the reasons i listed for supporting Paul. I figured this would spark more of a discussion than "lol paulbot" vs "no u". :/
Mr. Paul is selling you nothing but illusions. His ideas while may be appealing to some americans -such as yourself, are at best shallow, unrealistic and in some cases ones of a delusional political-ignorant.
You want more elaborated explanations cruise through any of the other 1000 RP threads here.

RP is a bad joke, nothing more, you want to be a part of that joke then go a head and vote for him, its not going to have any effect anyway.
Agreed, you only have to look as far as the two Ron Paul Loon threads where we are shredding his two basic ideas.

 

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
18,256
68
86
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: palehorse74
I have two questions for you.. First, does an annual membership as a "Captain" come with any freebies? I'd join up if I could get a cool hat, or something... maybe some fr4ee itunes downloads?

no?

I also heard that RP invented a cure for sadness, stubbed toes, and dirt... is it true?

OK, that was three questions... my bad.

anyways, OP, go read THIS thread.
Speaking of bots, here's one now...
If you think he's a bot, come on into that thread and test your real knowledge. I bet you don't make it two posts before you give up.

 

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
18,256
68
86
Originally posted by: brxndxn
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: brxndxn
Originally posted by: narcotic
Give me a break... It's like every couple of hours a new RP bot spawns?
I strongly suggest consolidating RP new bots threads, just seems unnecessary to have 100 threads for the same topic...
I think it's about time the multitude of supporters reject the term 'paulbots'. It's insulting.. I, for one, am tired of it..

Paul's supporters are individual people.. fervent individual people. Every post I have ever made about Ron Paul has been my exact thoughts at the time.. never copied..
It's tough to argue individuality when I see the same B.S. copy & pasted all over the internet. You can't spam election and throwing in the word 'freedom' in every other sentence doesn't make your argument any more cogent.
What you just said hardly makes an argument and has no intentions of discussion. The 'same BS' that you refer to is first of all not BS and second, it is in the words of every individual that supports it.

Also, your second sentence is circular reasoning. It assumes that the argument is wrong in the first place, and assumes further using evidence that is in itself an assumption that one may (or usually) deem to be wrong.

If Ron Paul's 'same BS' is so bad, then discredit him or back off. Explain to us why he is so bad compared to the alternatives. And, you may not use errors in reasoning like your first attempt.

Here's a good list of errors in reasoning:

http://hawaii.hawaii.edu/wwwre...fallacydefinitions.htm

I will call you out if you argue against me trying to use them. Bring it.

Discredited over and over, check out the thread mentioned above. You pretend to be learned but you just regurgitate the same trash from a different mouth.
 

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
18,256
68
86
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
I like him too, but he can't win. That's the sad part.
One person at a time can change that.

Until I know people on WS that support him, he's a loon and won't get anywhere. Just a bunch of anti-establishment people right now.

There's a bunch in every crowd, just like white supremicists that seem to like RP also.
 

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
9,711
6
76
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: TheNewbie
Originally posted by: PaperclipGod
Interesting that no one has refuted the reasons i listed for supporting Paul. I figured this would spark more of a discussion than "lol paulbot" vs "no u". :/
Mr. Paul is selling you nothing but illusions. His ideas while may be appealing to some americans -such as yourself, are at best shallow, unrealistic and in some cases ones of a delusional political-ignorant.
You want more elaborated explanations cruise through any of the other 1000 RP threads here.

RP is a bad joke, nothing more, you want to be a part of that joke then go a head and vote for him, its not going to have any effect anyway.
Agreed, you only have to look as far as the two Ron Paul Loon threads where we are shredding his two basic ideas.
I think its important to point out LK that its the direction he wants to go that is important. We all know that abolishing the FED is unlikely, but discussing its viability is a good thing. If anything maybe there would be something better come of it, maybe not, but at least we would have basically "audited" the FED system.

Same as foreign policy, will he be able to close down all bases and remove all our troops from around the world? More likely not, yet that is the direction we should be heading if only to improve foreign relation and curb spending.
 

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
9,711
6
76
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
I like him too, but he can't win. That's the sad part.
One person at a time can change that.

Until I know people on WS that support him, he's a loon and won't get anywhere. Just a bunch of anti-establishment people right now.

There's a bunch in every crowd, just like white supremicists that seem to like RP also.
Did you see people on WS cheering his speech? I think I'll search for that now ;)

Here you go :p
 

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
11,521
0
76
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: TheNewbie
Originally posted by: PaperclipGod
Interesting that no one has refuted the reasons i listed for supporting Paul. I figured this would spark more of a discussion than "lol paulbot" vs "no u". :/
Mr. Paul is selling you nothing but illusions. His ideas while may be appealing to some americans -such as yourself, are at best shallow, unrealistic and in some cases ones of a delusional political-ignorant.
You want more elaborated explanations cruise through any of the other 1000 RP threads here.

RP is a bad joke, nothing more, you want to be a part of that joke then go a head and vote for him, its not going to have any effect anyway.
Agreed, you only have to look as far as the two Ron Paul Loon threads where we are shredding his two basic ideas.
I think its important to point out LK that its the direction he wants to go that is important. We all know that abolishing the FED is unlikely, but discussing its viability is a good thing. If anything maybe there would be something better come of it, maybe not, but at least we would have basically "audited" the FED system.

Same as foreign policy, will he be able to close down all bases and remove all our troops from around the world? More likely not, yet that is the direction we should be heading if only to improve foreign relation and curb spending.
So instead, we should support a guy who has extremely unrealistic "plans," all in hopes that somehow "the system" will magically keep the loon in check!?

bah... no thank you!

if "the direction" is what's important, then maybe you should tell Ron Paul that. He appears pretty damn confident that it's his whacked out extreme "plans" that are the point, and not just moving slowly in "that direction"...

Like I said before, he needs to start using the words "some" and "a few".... instead of "all" or "none"... maybe his own followers need to be the ones to bring him back down to Earth... but I honestly dont see that happening anytime soon...

So RP remains a loon.
 

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
18,256
68
86
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
I like him too, but he can't win. That's the sad part.
One person at a time can change that.

Until I know people on WS that support him, he's a loon and won't get anywhere. Just a bunch of anti-establishment people right now.

There's a bunch in every crowd, just like white supremicists that seem to like RP also.
Did you see people on WS cheering his speech? I think I'll search for that now ;)

Here you go :p
And Rick Santinelli is a moron, obviously he was owned. The increase in the 30-year bond yield and decrease in 2-year was due to a short-term flight from risk. Traders are worried about short-term recession, thus they bought into short-term bonds, while they fled from long-term bonds since they know rates will eventually increase as the economy comes back up.

The yield curve indicates a short-term lower rate and long-term higher rate, indicating an eventual upswing.
 

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
9,711
6
76
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: TheNewbie
Originally posted by: PaperclipGod
Interesting that no one has refuted the reasons i listed for supporting Paul. I figured this would spark more of a discussion than "lol paulbot" vs "no u". :/
Mr. Paul is selling you nothing but illusions. His ideas while may be appealing to some americans -such as yourself, are at best shallow, unrealistic and in some cases ones of a delusional political-ignorant.
You want more elaborated explanations cruise through any of the other 1000 RP threads here.

RP is a bad joke, nothing more, you want to be a part of that joke then go a head and vote for him, its not going to have any effect anyway.
Agreed, you only have to look as far as the two Ron Paul Loon threads where we are shredding his two basic ideas.
I think its important to point out LK that its the direction he wants to go that is important. We all know that abolishing the FED is unlikely, but discussing its viability is a good thing. If anything maybe there would be something better come of it, maybe not, but at least we would have basically "audited" the FED system.

Same as foreign policy, will he be able to close down all bases and remove all our troops from around the world? More likely not, yet that is the direction we should be heading if only to improve foreign relation and curb spending.
So instead, we should support a guy who has extremely unrealistic "plans," all in hopes that somehow "the system" will magically keep the loon in check!?

bah... no thank you!

if "the direction" is what's important, then maybe you should tell Ron Paul that. He appears pretty damn confident that it's his whacked out extreme "plans" that are the point, and not just moving slowly in "that direction"...
He already has stated that we are heading in the wrong direction and need to go the opposite way.

Like I said before, he needs to start using the words "some" and "a few".... instead of "all" or "none"... maybe his own followers need to be the ones to bring him back down to Earth... but I honestly dont see that happening anytime soon...

So RP remains a loon.
Who said "all or none"? The only one I have seen is you say that.

No he isn't a loon. Anyone in their right mind knows none of these things can't be changed instantaneously. *If* you think for one moment any other candidate will reduce the size of government, then you sir are the loon.
 

teclis1023

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2007
1,452
0
71
Here's my issue with the Ron Paul stance ... it treats the government, its politicians and laws as the enemy.

Yes, it's true we began as a smaller nation founded on rebellion...but why in the world would we possibly imagine that the rules that once governed a small nation of people could hold up and properly scale as the country grew to be a massive powerhouse? Should we also return to the puritanical, racist, strictly religious roots of this nation?

You treat laws as if they have served only to disintegrate this nation...what about those which have afforded equal treatment and protection to blacks and Jews? You mention the EPA - do you truly believe that we should abandon our attempts to regulate our impact on the environment? Perhaps unchecked rampant pollution better represents your idea of true freedom, but I believe that a responsible nation must sometimes check itself in order to assess its contribution to the global community.

Nobody will argue that the US government is perfect. Nobody will argue that we don't need reform in many areas, or perhaps need to rebuild entire sectors of the government. But the idea that our government is inherently bad and that its laws and governing statutes are inherently bad posits, in fact, that the people of this nation are bad. You can treat the government like the Borg, or you can realize that the government is made up of people - both good and bad - just trying to get through the day.

Find me a perfect nation. Please. Build an argument that the original Union was perfect, and I'll find you a way to rip apart your argument piece-by-piece. It's because, quite simply put, there is NO perfect government.

Treating laws as if they are a bad thing works under the idea that the majority of laws passed degrade our nation, bit-by-bit. I'm willing to make a bet that of the thousands of laws passed per year, we'd probably all agree on a collective level that the majority of them are warranted. Sure, there will be ones that we don't agree with...but is that truly reason to abandon the infrastructure that runs this country? No, I don't think so.

RP has some really appealing short-term solutions, but they're not realistic - not for the way that this nation actually operates. I agree with some of what he says, but the unspoken consequences of his intended policies are massively detrimental.
 

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
27,046
855
126
Originally posted by: teclis1023
Here's my issue with the Ron Paul stance ... it treats the government, its politicians and laws as the enemy.

Yes, it's true we began as a smaller nation founded on rebellion...but why in the world would we possibly imagine that the rules that once governed a small nation of people could hold up and properly scale as the country grew to be a massive powerhouse? Should we also return to the puritanical, racist, strictly religious roots of this nation?

You treat laws as if they have served only to disintegrate this nation...what about those which have afforded equal treatment and protection to blacks and Jews? You mention the EPA - do you truly believe that we should abandon our attempts to regulate our impact on the environment? Perhaps unchecked rampant pollution better represents your idea of true freedom, but I believe that a responsible nation must sometimes check itself in order to assess its contribution to the global community.

Nobody will argue that the US government is perfect. Nobody will argue that we don't need reform in many areas, or perhaps need to rebuild entire sectors of the government. But the idea that our government is inherently bad and that its laws and governing statutes are inherently bad posits, in fact, that the people of this nation are bad. You can treat the government like the Borg, or you can realize that the government is made up of people - both good and bad - just trying to get through the day.

Find me a perfect nation. Please. Build an argument that the original Union was perfect, and I'll find you a way to rip apart your argument piece-by-piece. It's because, quite simply put, there is NO perfect government.

Treating laws as if they are a bad thing works under the idea that the majority of laws passed degrade our nation, bit-by-bit. I'm willing to make a bet that of the thousands of laws passed per year, we'd probably all agree on a collective level that the majority of them are warranted. Sure, there will be ones that we don't agree with...but is that truly reason to abandon the infrastructure that runs this country? No, I don't think so.

RP has some really appealing short-term solutions, but they're not realistic - not for the way that this nation actually operates. I agree with some of what he says, but the unspoken consequences of his intended policies are massively detrimental.
Stop making sense! We can't bear it! :D

 

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
37,563
9
81
Originally posted by: teclis1023
Here's my issue with the Ron Paul stance ... it treats the government, its politicians and laws as the enemy.

Yes, it's true we began as a smaller nation founded on rebellion...but why in the world would we possibly imagine that the rules that once governed a small nation of people could hold up and properly scale as the country grew to be a massive powerhouse? Should we also return to the puritanical, racist, strictly religious roots of this nation?
You can stop right there. What makes you think that a nation of 300M is possible to rule with one set of laws? Did it ever occur to you that the reason there's so much partisanship is because Texans might prefer a different way of life than New Yorkers? The further government gets from the people it governs, the more it treats them like cattle: nameless masses that exist solely so they have someone to rule over. The city and county can be a pain in the ass to deal with. The state even moreso. The feds are entirely unforgiving. Why do people feel the need to keep shifting power up that ladder?

I just don't understand big government cheerleaders. Compuwiz1, you're just goddam schizophrenic in your views, and kookier than Paul could ever be. You bash Bush over the war constantly, but it's the vast powers that have been concentrated federally that allowed him to invade Iraq. If you keep giving more and more power to the feds, do you honestly think that they'll somehow become MORE responsible and accountable instead of less?

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

So the feds have fucked up the war on poverty, let's give them more money. The war on drugs? Let's give them even more power? They invade Iraq? I know, let's give them more power yet? Oh yeah, and here's our entire health care system to run. Surely giving them more power and money could only be a good thing, right? They do such a great job with everything else!

Damn, if Paul is a loon, what does that say about you freaks?
 

Mavtek3100

Senior member
Jan 15, 2008
524
0
0
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
I like him too, but he can't win. That's the sad part.
One person at a time can change that.

Until I know people on WS that support him, he's a loon and won't get anywhere. Just a bunch of anti-establishment people right now.

There's a bunch in every crowd, just like white supremicists that seem to like RP also.
Finance
Bruce Bradshaw, Founder/CEO, Walworth Financial Group
Marko Budgyk, Chief Investment Officer, Diamond Wealth Advisors
Kenneth J. Gerbino, President, Kenneth J. Gerbino & Company, Investment Management
Jason Hommel, Investor; Author, Silver Stock Report
Lawrence Lepard, Managing Partner, Equity Management Associates, LLC
Michael J. McKay, President, Iowa Capital Management, Inc.
Tom Nguyen, Founder/CEO, Mecca Financial Network
Tom O?Neill, Managing Director, Exodus Capital Advisors
Jim Rogers, Investor, Author, Economic Commentator
Peter Schiff, President, Euro Pacific Capital, Inc.
Chris Weber, Editor, Weber Global Opportunities Report

Source

When having crow for dinner I always recommend humble pie for desert. Unless of course we're to believe that all these Wall Street people like Jim Rogers and Peter Schiff who have been major movers on the market for quite a while are insignificant compared to the great opinions of some guy named "LegendKiller" on Anandtech political forums.

Lets see your job title and your education, if you trump anyone of these people who have endorsed Ron Paul then we can discuss this further.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY