So I got a 75 gallon aquarium for $40 from a yard sale

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: v1001
Make sure you get a plecostomus

That is a MUST. It wil clean the tank for you. Eats all the algae. Drasticly cuts down on maintenence. A few snails wouldn't hurt either. Onnce you get the tank going all you should need to do is change a filter once in a while. And rarely change some water out. And feed your fish of course.
Algae can float, too. :eek:

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
Actually, the regular G&E Door and Window Silicone I has no anti fungal in it and is completely aquarium safe. Just make sure it's door and window only and it's Silicone I and not Silicone II.
As inexpensive as the "Aquarium" labeled silicon is, I'd rather not take the chance of there being unlisted fungicide in the sealant. Good silicon sealant is much cheaper than nice fish.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Actually, the regular G&E Door and Window Silicone I has no anti fungal in it and is completely aquarium safe. Just make sure it's door and window only and it's Silicone I and not Silicone II.
As inexpensive as the "Aquarium" labeled silicon is, I'd rather not take the chance of there being unlisted fungicide in the sealant. Good silicon sealant is much cheaper than nice fish.

Its the exact same. Try it with cheap fish first if you are paranoid. People with much more money than most of us use the GE stuff in bulk.. Yes BULK! Its the same thing!

And they have to list fungicide....

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Why should we listen to you when you don't even know it's silicone and not silicon?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
we need an update, did you get it going or what?

LOL. No not yet. We had some unexpected expenses crop up (cars, kids, etc). I've got the aquarium stand, filter, gravel, plants, and most of the fish types that I want picked out. Just need to wait a paycheck or two before I get them now.

I'll be sure to take pictures and update the post though.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Queasy

LOL. No not yet. We had some unexpected expenses crop up (cars, kids, etc). I've got the aquarium stand, filter, gravel, plants, and most of the fish types that I want picked out. Just need to wait a paycheck or two before I get them now.

You going fresh or salt water?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: Queasy

You going fresh or salt water?

Fresh. Definitely Fresh.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

Even most of the fish stores I know use G&E door and window silicone I to reseal tanks. I've used it myself. In fact, it's on my slate background on my 125gal right now and my fish are completely healthy.