Discussion So I finally quit drinking soda.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well after staying overnight in the Hospital three to four weeks ago with acute pancreatitis and the doctor telling that I need to quit drinking soda completely, I haven't had any since then. Later I went to see my regular doctor and he informed me that I had impacted bowels.

The cravings are completely gone and I'm feeling so better now that I'm no longer drinking any soda at all. It also means that managing and saving money will be a lot easier then it was before.

Of course I went a few weeks of really bad headaches but I am over that now. :cool::D:)

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
It's bloody well time.

Soda is pretty bad for your body in many ways. If you are diabetic it is even worse. Diet soda is no alternative either. Drinking water maybe boring but it is the healthiest thing you can drink.

:)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Good job! :)

I drink soda maybe a dozen times a year and that feels like too many... that stuff will kill you!

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I'm down to pretty much only with pizza and Mexican food. For some reason I always want a diet coke with those

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
It's bloody well time.

Soda is pretty bad for your body in many ways. If you are diabetic it is even worse. Diet soda is no alternative either. Drinking water maybe boring but it is the healthiest thing you can drink.

Yeah I was drinking huge amounts of diet Mountain Dew to the point I came down with pancreatitis and impacted bowels. Man I believe that it took me almost ruining my health to finally quit.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Good job! I used to drink several Pepsis a day - sometimes close to 10 but probably more like 5ish usually. Also lots of hot chocolate and sugary drinks as I did not like coffee then. Was bad when I worked at the hospital, ironically. There is a Tim Hortons in the basement, and vending machines throughout. It did not have any ill effects on me, but I realized how bad it was for me it would eventually catch up. I had to slow down.

Long story short I just mostly replaced pop with coffee now. I think finding a replacement is key. Even if it's a temporary replacement, like perhaps a pop that is slightly less bad for you, and then work your way out of it completely. Trying to quit cold turkey rarely works. That's why lot of people who try to quit smoking fail. You have to ease out.

Lot of people say to just drink water, but sometimes you still want a sit down drink to enjoy, while watching a movie, or coding, or whatever. For me that was Club Soda for a while and now mostly coffee. I quit Club Soda, kinda happened naturally as I just kept forgetting to buy more. I also found it was a waste from a monetary and environmental standpoint. All those cans, which are basically just water. It's almost as bad as buying bottled water. I also bought a water filtration system that is more convenient than a brita. So I do drink more water now too.

Reactions: Captante

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Yeah I was drinking huge amounts of diet Mountain Dew to the point I came down with pancreatitis and impacted bowels. Man I believe that it took me almost ruining my health to finally quit.
Good for you. I've been drinking diet Mountain Dew like a lab rat for 30+ years and never had either of those issues. I hope your health keeps improving. :)

Reactions: whm1974

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Long story short I just mostly replaced pop with coffee now. I think finding a replacement is key. Even if it's a temporary replacement, like perhaps a pop that is slightly less bad for you, and then work your way out of it completely. Trying to quit cold turkey rarely works. That's why lot of people who try to quit smoking fail. You have to ease out.

Lot of people say to just drink water, but sometimes you still want a sit down drink to enjoy, while watching a movie, or coding, or whatever. For me that was Club Soda for a while and now mostly coffee. I quit Club Soda, kinda happened naturally as I just kept forgetting to buy more. I also found it was a waste from a monetary and environmental standpoint. All those cans, which are basically just water. It's almost as bad as buying bottled water. I also bought a water filtration system that is more convenient than a brita. So I do drink more water now too.

I've cut down to one small Pepsi a day, usually. I keep trying flavored soda water like Perrier and Bubly. The best way I've found to drink that is to keep it below the top of your tongue, so you don't taste the bitterness. Most of the flavor is in the odor anyway. Still, sweetener-free soda is expensive and isn't all that great. :(

V8 or store-brand knockoffs are also good, if you can handle the sodium. I see in another thread you had low sodium, so it might actually be good for you.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I'll quit in about a week. Then when I need caffeine again Ill start back up until I quit again.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Well after staying overnight in the Hospital three to four weeks ago with acute pancreatitis and the doctor telling that I need to quit drinking soda completely, I haven't had any since then. Later I went to see my regular doctor and he informed me that I had impacted bowels.

The cravings are completely gone and I'm feeling so better now that I'm no longer drinking any soda at all. It also means that managing and saving money will be a lot easier then it was before.

Of course I went a few weeks of really bad headaches but I am over that now. :cool::D:)

Where you drinking diet?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's bloody well time.

yeah, diet soda actually makes you eat more (that stuff effs with your ghrelin levels and doesn't kill your appetite like the sugary poison does.) It's one of the many reasons why obese folk continue to get even fatter when they switch to diet sodas. Water is the only way to go.

In ~highschool times, I used to drink tons of IBC rootbeer, Sundrop, Sunkist or whatever. I guess there was a time when I drank tons of soda, but for whatever reason, it just became very gross to me. I really can't stand any kind of soda these days, and it's been that way for at least 20 years or more now. I love water and I don't understand what it is in some humans that don't like water, or the taste of water. I think there is something screwed up in such brains, because a living thing absolutely craves water. water is great.

Oh and beer. Beer is good, too.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Hey welcome to being an adult.

Seriously though soda is fine if you treat it well like a treat instead of a drink with every meal or when thirsty.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
yeah I mean...holy shit. I struggle to drink that much water a day. well, I come nowhere close, in fact. maybe 3 liters, total?

how the hell does a human consume up to 12 liters of liquid every day, let alone nauseating sugary crap like that? It boggles my mind.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
yeah I mean...holy shit. I struggle to drink that much water a day. well, I come nowhere close, in fact. maybe 3 liters, total?

how the hell does a human consume up to 12 liters of liquid every day, let alone nauseating sugary crap like that? It boggles my mind.
He drank diet.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I tried to drink a 2L bottle of Pepsi once at a party. I didn't drink alcohol then mostly just by choice, and was trying to keep up with my friends' alcohol drinking... stupid I know, but I was a teenager. Ended up drinking most of it but I got sick and vomited. That's just too much of any liquid really. Can't imagine doing multiple 2L in a day. :eek: