So I can place a bet over the Internet legally.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
With breeders cup coming up this saturday spidey needs some of that action. Any horse can win, no matter what the race. They're all good horses. Good odds, a horse players paradise.

This is sweet.

Watch Breeders Cup in HD?
Check.

Wager on it without fighting crowds/weather?
Check.

As much as I love to patronize the track, sitting at home watching the races in HD glory and wagering from home with a mini-party is super nice.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Brackis
Explain how you can do this legally over the net

if he lives in the US, it's a safe assumption he can't. but if he wants to take his legal advice from a website based in the Cayman Islands, that's his business.

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
I guess you guys didn't read the news, Kentucky proclaimed independent and formed their country today.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

It's horse racing. You put money into your account. You bet with money in your account.

It's been around for at least 10 years. I just didn't ever have a need for it because I placed my bets at the track.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Jeeebus

if he lives in the US, it's a safe assumption he can't. but if he wants to take his legal advice from a website based in the Cayman Islands, that's his business.

IIRC there was an exception for horse racing written into that online gambling ban. Doesn't make any sense, I know.

Still, if you're using the internet for something legal, you're not doing it right.;)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Jeeebus

Horse racing. The sport of kings.

It's all legit. This is sweet.

GO PERFECT DRIFT!!!

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
you can do it legally at an OTB can't you? not just for local racing are they? of course this is different from online

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
There's a federal law from many years ago that says you cannot place bets through the phone system. They've just been using that law, extending it to internet use through the phone system. And that includes the backbone of the internet, i.e. a cable modem doesn't make you immune to this law.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: cubby1223
There's a federal law from many years ago that says you cannot place bets through the phone system. They've just been using that law, extending it to internet use through the phone system. And that includes the backbone of the internet, i.e. a cable modem doesn't make you immune to this law.

That was only for sporting events. Poker and the like weren't written into the language of the law. There is a new law, however, tacked to the Safe Ports Act, which prevents transferring money from banks to online gaming sites, except (of course) for horse racing.

I don't gamble online, but these laws seem retarded to me, and it's even more retarded that our "legislative" system allows you to tack completely unrelated riders onto a bill under consideration.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: slayer202
you can do it legally at an OTB can't you? not just for local racing are they? of course this is different from online

Yeah. OTB (off track betting) has been around forever.

TVG even has their own cable channel. I remember about 14 years ago you get this device in your home to bet from home.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Thank goodness the politicians are protecting us from developing gambling problems.

No, wait, just from developing non-government monopoly gambling problems. :roll:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: MrChad
Thank goodness the politicians are protecting us from developing gambling problems.

No, wait, just from developing non-government monopoly gambling problems. :roll:

It's stilll an ACH transfer to a US company. Doesn't involve credit card companies at all.

No monopoly here. The gubment will get their cut and know about any gains.

Not only that but cross state wagering has been around for decades so it isn't anywhere near the same as the law you are alluding to.