So i bought a Playstation 3 console

Cl1ckm3

Jan 30, 2008
the optical cable i bought doenst seem to fit right, its really loose and can slide out on its own. Same problem with my audio card's optical input, very very loose.
i tried pushing it in pretty hard but it goes no more and still no sound. (trying to use my razer HP-1 headphones)...i dont get it.
but i'm not positve my audio cards optical in will ouput to my headphones through hdai connection, i just assume it would.

then i cant get 1080p to work...1080i does. i bought a pricey componant cable for it and it says it supports 1080p...so its that or my monitor which is a Gateway FPD2475W with 1900x1200 native resolution...so which is the problem here or do i need to make a custom resolution?

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
OK, have you tried a different optical cable? It seems rather unlikely that both your sound card and the PS3 have defective optical connectors.

As for your monitor, it probably doesn't accept 1080p over component. The cables aren't going to be the issue. If it has a free DVI port that has HDCP enabled, try using an HDMI->DVI cable.

Cl1ckm3

Jan 30, 2008
Originally posted by: erwos
OK, have you tried a different optical cable? It seems rather unlikely that both your sound card and the PS3 have defective optical connectors.

As for your monitor, it probably doesn't accept 1080p over component. The cables aren't going to be the issue. If it has a free DVI port that has HDCP enabled, try using an HDMI->DVI cable.

well optical cables arent super cheap, i mean i already paid $10 for this one. i dont see why one would be different than another? although your right, its unlikely both are defective, i just dont know for sure how easily its suppose to insert, isnt it suppose to click into place....like a usb port or soemthing?

also, if i purchased another, i dont know for certain my audiocard input would ouput to my headphones cause i cant find any specific info about it in docs or google.

about the monitor, i googled it and found a review that did state that only DVI and VGA offers 1080p while componant is 1080i...so your definitly right, just wish i thought to look that tidbit up sooner, so i may eventually put my PC on vga and get an HDMI to DVI line, but i'll wait till i want a game that supports 1080p...thanks

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Did you take the rubber caps off each end of the cable?

(Asking because someone didn't know to do this in another thread yesterday)

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons

lol, I've used optical cables before but I still forgot about the caps when I first tried to install my PS3 a couple of weeks ago. :eek:

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons

Also, there is a distinct orientation in which you have to connect the optical cable as there is a groove on one side of the square connector. Make sure it actually kind of snaps in by lining up the groove and the notch.

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
Here are cheap optical cables ($3 + shipping). I don't have the premium ones. I have the regular ones. Frankly I don't know why there would be a difference between the premium and regular ones (perhaps for 25' runs or more).

Monoprice is one of best places ever for cables of any kind. They're consistently great quality (unless you're blowing tens of thousands of dollars for the rest of your equipment, they'll do just fine), reliable, and really inexpensive. If you need HDMI or HDMI/DVI, you should look there, too.

edited to remove hyperbole because I care too much about these things

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: fanerman91
Here are cheap optical cables ($3 + shipping). I don't have the premium ones. I have the regular ones. Frankly I don't know why there would be a difference between the premium and regular ones.

Monoprice is pretty much the best place ever for cables of any kind. They're great quality and really inexpensive. If you need HDMI or HDMI/DVI, you should look there, too.

I used to buy these Mad Catz optical cables for $8 from Target. Not the cheapest, but I thought it was good for a B&M price.

oznerol

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2002
www.lorenzoisawesome.com
Amazon marketplace is the best place to look for cables. Don't need to register for another site - assuming you already have an Amazon account - and the price is better than monoprice. I paid ~ $1 + $3 shipping for a 3ft optical cable from the Abacus reseller. Got it in 3 days.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
A cheap one that came with some headphones I have doesnt snap into the XBOX 360 optical port. I just let it be since it's not something that gets moved around alot.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
I just painted my livingroom early this week and had to move all the furniture out and unhook everything. (PITA!!)

When I was hooking the ent. center back up today, I noticed that I broke off the small little optical flap on my Panasonic 50" plasma. The Optical cable end was very loose and did'nt want to stay in.

I found a way around it by using a thin wood shim for a temp fix. Are these flaps easily replaceable??
That little flap is essential for the optical cable to stay put is what I found out!

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I had the same problem on my 360... fortunately it stays put if I don't touch it.

Cl1ckm3

Jan 30, 2008
how on earth can every other kind of cheap cable from Usb,DVI,RJ45 to RCA fit properly except some opticals? i mean their plugs are a standard right?
how hard is it for them to make a snap in male end?...just venting there cause its pretty stupid if you ask me.
and yes theres no rubber cap, lol

anyway, i just hooked up an RCA to miniplug adapter and used my audio cards aux input instead...meh, it works