So... How screwed is Huawei now?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
It sounds like Microsoft might be pulling their Windows licenses as well. Maybe 2020 will be the year of Linux on the desktop after all ;)

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Push them too far and they will respond. Shit, arresting their CFO in Canada on US request is causing tons of problem for Canada, including two Canadians charged for espionage.

And over there, you are screwed the moment you are charged.

Apple would be the most obvious target. Shit they might just decide to take it out on Foxconn and confiscate their assets.

Reactions: yhelothar

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Not at the expense of being reasonable. They can make money but they don't have to be greedy to the point of being evil, either. Once companies go public they just turn 100% evil, and no amount of money is enough. They no longer care about anything else. This should not be considered acceptable, but it is by many because it is capitalism and for whatever reason people praise that.
If a company doesn't provide some kind of service or offer any kind of value, they don't make money. Simple as that. If they make money, they're doing something that somebody somewhere is willing to pay for.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
If a company doesn't provide some kind of service or offer any kind of value, they don't make money. Simple as that. If they make money, they're doing something that somebody somewhere is willing to pay for.

And 'things that somebody somewhere is willing to pay for' are necessarily adding value to the world? Someone might be willing to pay for political assasinations or dumping toxic waste in the ocean, does that justify it then?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I won't be buying any of their products, but as mentioned. They're trying to infiltrate networks by undercutting the competition in price. There are quite a few towns, cities, counties, and private phone companies that buy equipment without asking security questions. It ends up putting anyone on those networks at risk. Implementation costs make it difficult to remedy once the mistake is made.

If you're going that route, be careful of buying used electronics or new items from last year's models. Huawei spread their electronic seed into lots of products.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
That is kind of the point. "China spying" isn't news. Companies don't care because it is cheap parts. They only care NOW because a big deal is being made about security due to the Russia election stuff which is forcing them to 'care'. People love to tout capitalism as if you are either for or against it, but capitalism has other prices eventually. Making money, and doing anything to make money are two different things. I love to make money, but I don't go out of my way to scam others to get it. I agree with Red Squirrel, once a company goes public, many are no longer trustworthy. Wall Street is crooked.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
The answer is easy. Money over everything. They only care about security as long as it doesn't interfere with profits. People can say 'but but' all they want but that is exactly why everything is made in china.

Yeah, there's much talk about how Chinese companies are controlled by the Chinese government. But our government is controlled by our corporations. And they have no country and no god save money.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Oh, the irony of the NSA expecting US telecom and technology companies to cooperate with surveillance and back-doors!

If Apple and others didn't fight that, nobody in other countries would want to use American tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Oh, the irony of the NSA expecting US telecom and technology companies to cooperate with surveillance and back-doors!

I can never shake the feeling that this is more a worry from the US Gov that its losing control over those back doors rather than that they exist.

Reactions: Captante

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I think Huawei is screwed in the near term. But long term, this is going to backfire on the US, as pretty much everyone that's not a US puppet will see US as an unreliable supplier with too many strings attached and will work to design American tech out. Should be good for open source stuff too. I expect China to switch to RISC-V and Linux.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
If you want to conduct an independent policy as a country, you can't let your companies become dependent on US suppliers, now that US has used this dependency as political leverage. You only get to pull this stunt once.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
Yep, it's the end of the United States fer sure. We will never recover from this unwarranted fiasco. We may as well open the borders and . . . .

Wait! Libs have been fighting tooth and nail for open borders for years. Hmmm.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
The big picture is huge (pun intended).

Right now China can't produce competitive chips. If they are allowed to steal their way to a completive balance they will flood the world with cheap product. That will spell doom (or at least severe hardship) for companies worldwide - US, Europe, Korea, Japan etc.

This is the line in the sand. It had to be done.

Reactions: kage69

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The big picture is huge (pun intended).

Right now China can't produce competitive chips. If they are allowed to steal their way to a completive balance they will flood the world with cheap product. That will spell doom (or at least severe hardship) for companies worldwide - US, Europe, Korea, Japan etc.

This is the line in the sand. It had to be done.

Hard to have sympathy for thieves, particularly when they're nationalists bent on domination. I feel our markets and our security needed to be protected in this way, and China has no one but itself to blame. It's not the West's fault that China holds it's citizens abroad liable if they don't assist state services. Or that Chinese state subsidies count for unfair advantages. Or that China has an established record of systemic monitoring built into what it helps develop, see Africa, Oceania. People believe the Red Reich over there is going to care more about Huawei sales than say, invading Taiwan? I find that rather humorous.

Nov 20, 2009
We don't do business with businesses that do business with Iran. China knew this, ignored this, and now wants to wine about it. So, no US market, no AMD (IIRC). No SD licensing as of this week. Now go sell some prods to Iran and hope they can offset what is lost in the western markets. Global Economy, baby.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Yep, it's the end of the United States fer sure. We will never recover from this unwarranted fiasco. We may as well open the borders and . . . .

Wait! Libs have been fighting tooth and nail for open borders for years. Hmmm.

A gas-lighted rube spreading fud.

Well done, comrade!

Nov 8, 2012
Yeah it is kind of funny that we are always pointing the finger at China when we know the US is as bad as anyone at spying/sabotage. There are just less blatant links between our government and our corporations.

Spying ? Yeah, I'll agree with you there - Sure... But stealing IP from Chinese companies and whispering it to domestic companies? I don't think so.... But hey, feel free to correct me there.

China = does this on massive scale.

EDIT: Also, I would be willing to place a pretty high wager that there is more to this story than what is publicly available.

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The funny thing is that China could probably end these trade sanctions on Huawei simply by threatening an export ban on Apple products produced there. It's kind of the "nuclear" option... both China and the US would lose a ton of revenue from a ban like this, but would definitely force the Trump administration to the bargaining table.

Crippling the sales of the US's largest company in terms of market cap would likely cause a stock market panic and possibly cause an economic recession it if ran for any period of time.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Pretty much. At the end of the day China has the power, they're the ones that make everything. They could cease making stuff for the US and Canada and we are basically starved of goods. If China is smart they hold the production of a major product release hostage by refusing to make/ship it. Ex: the next gen CPU, or phone, etc.

That's what we get for putting all our eggs in one basket, too. We are stupid for not manufacturing goods here. Money should not be the only deciding factor for everything, it's stupid to be such short sighted.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I just can't believe China is willing to commit economic suicide to spite the US.

In the end some kind of compromise will be reached.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
China is ahead of US in some areas but overall is still behind technologically. Huawei ban shows that their tech framework is still dependent on a lot of key western/US tech and strip those away, things start to crumble. China need to deal soon or risk a slowdown that may cause political unrest. How to do it without looking weak is the catch. Low cost labor manufacturing is moving to Vietnam, Bangladesh, India, even Mexico under tariff and the longer it drags out the faster that will accelerate.