So, how does Christianity explain the dinosaurs?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FREAKZA69

Jan 18, 2004
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteve
Originally posted by: Chadder007
"Look at the behemoth, which I made along with you and which feed on grass like an ox. What strength he has in his loins, what power in the muscles of his belly! His tail sways like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are close-knit. His bones are tubes of bronze, his limbs like rods of iron. He ranks first among the works of God..."

The book of Job is very old, written after the worldwide flood of Noah's time and probably about 2,000 years before Jesus was born. Here God describes a great king of the land animals like some of the biggest dinosaurs, the Diplodocus and Apatosaurus. It was a gigantic plant-eater with great muscles and very strong bones. The long Diplodocus had leg bones so strong that he could have held three others on his back.
The behemoth were not afraid. They did not need to be; they were huge. Behemoth tails were so long and strong that God compared them to cedars--one of the largest and most spectacular trees of the ancient world.

After all the behemoth had died out, many people forgot about them. Dinosaurs were extinct and the fossil skeletons that are in museums today did not begin to be put together until about 150 years ago. Today, some people have mistakenly guessed that the behemoth mentioned in the Bible might be an elephant or a hippopotamus. But those animals do not have tails like the thick, tall trunks of cedar trees!

Do you have the reference for that? I was trying to find that the other day, and want to be able to find it again in the future.

here ya go!

Job 40:15-19

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Chadder007
"Look at the behemoth, which I made along with you and which feed on grass like an ox. What strength he has in his loins, what power in the muscles of his belly! His tail sways like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are close-knit. His bones are tubes of bronze, his limbs like rods of iron. He ranks first among the works of God..."

Bronto!!
Too bad Cedar didn't exist when the dinosaurs were around. :p

At least, in the Triassic and Jurassic time periods. Not too sure about the Cretaceous.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
actually Noah had dino's on the ark. what do you think they eat to survive?

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: JackBurton

Yeah, I know what you mean about those "weird" people. There are even people that congregate every Sunday to talk to an invisible magic man in the sky. And then pretend to drink his blood. Talk about WEIRD!:)

So you suggest it is better for people to have no faith? that we should all believe we are a random occurence with virutally no purpose in the grand scheme of things? just another genetic mutation? and that once this world is over then you are nothing more than ashes and dust?...

sorry, while I am not the most religious person I still cannot see myself comming to terms with an atheist's outlook, IMHO it is too bleak and depressing, at least with a higher power there is the hope for something after death instead of a wasted existence...

maybe when you get older you will understand, but I will assume you are still in your "I am young, invincable and never going to die" phase...either that or a pessimist.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: bozack
Originally posted by: JackBurton

Yeah, I know what you mean about those "weird" people. There are even people that congregate every Sunday to talk to an invisible magic man in the sky. And then pretend to drink his blood. Talk about WEIRD!:)

So you suggest it is better for people to have no faith? that we should all believe we are a random occurence with virutally no purpose in the grand scheme of things? just another genetic mutation? and that once this world is over then you are nothing more than ashes and dust?...

sorry, while I am not the most religious person I still cannot see myself comming to terms with an atheist's outlook, IMHO it is too bleak and depressing, at least with a higher power there is the hope for something after death instead of a wasted existence...

maybe when you get older you will understand, but I will assume you are still in your "I am young, invincable and never going to die" phase...either that or a pessimist.

i dont see why humans are so desperate to find meaning in their life. you are here because your parents procreated, they are here because their parents procreated. it all leads back to a selfreplicated macromolecule.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Mo0o

i dont see why humans are so desperate to find meaning in their life. you are here because your parents procreated, they are here because their parents procreated. it all leads back to a selfreplicated macromolecule.

and I don't see why some are so dead set against accepting others quest for meaning, why people who don't believe in anything other than selfreplicating macromolecules make every effort to belittle those who happen to have a belief that there is something more to existance than a random occurence. Sorry but if I have to choose then I choose faith in a higher power than the idea that we were a cosmic mistake or random occurence.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: OOBradm
SO, within the first 7 days, god created the heavens and the earth and man. What about the dinosaurs? Is this a flaw?

Something else to add in there - check out Hubble's Deep Field and Ultra Deep Field views. Thousands of galaxies in each picture, and those pics are just a tiiiiny portion of the visible sky, like a fraction of the width of the visible moon. These "heavens" are given what, a line of mention in the Bible, while Earth, one puny planet out of quadrillions of trillions of galaxies, with billions of stars each, gets a whole book? What are all those galaxies for then? Decoration?

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: OOBradm
SO, within the first 7 days, god created the heavens and the earth and man. What about the dinosaurs? Is this a flaw?

Something else to add in there - check out Hubble's Deep Field and Ultra Deep Field views. Thousands of galaxies in each picture, and those pics are just a tiiiiny portion of the visible sky, like a fraction of the width of the visible moon. These "heavens" are given what, a line of mention in the Bible, while Earth, one puny planet out of quadrillions of trillions of galaxies, with billions of stars each, gets a whole book? What are all those galaxies for then? Decoration?

He got bored I guess.

Or decided since he hopelessly fvcked up on US, to try again someplace else? ;)

I'm still waiting for an explanation about where the animals that came along AFTER the dinos came from??
rolleye.gif

slick230

Banned
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Brutuskend

I'm still waiting for an explanation about where the animals that came along AFTER the dinos came from??
rolleye.gif

Well, actually, I think it has been said by scientists that small mammals and other animals were able to survive the meteor strike that wiped out the dinosaurs. These small creatures were more able to adapt to the sever climate changes and since the dinosaurs were no longer around these small animals thrived and filled in the void.

Also, one of the religos previously said in this thread
Evolution is not disputed by the bible. It simply says that God created all animals. It doesn't say they won't change with the enviroment.

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: slick230
Originally posted by: Brutuskend

rolleye.gif

Well, actually, I think it has been said by scientists that small mammals and other animals were able to survive the meteor strike that wiped out the dinosaurs. These small creatures were more able to adapt to the sever climate changes and since the dinosaurs were no longer around these small animals thrived and filled in the void.

Also, one of the religos previously said in this thread
Evolution is not disputed by the bible. It simply says that God created all animals. It doesn't say they won't change with the enviroment.

Thanks for quoting me but don't assume I'm religous. I can see certain things in Genesis that are very thought provoking. One being the mention of a "void". This doesn't seem all that big of a deal but "nothing" is actually a concept I would not expect from the writings of the time. Also with the knowledge we have now and considering the condensed style of genesis the timeline is somewhat accurate if one does not assume a day is actually 24 hours. Remember the Bible that most people read and believe is a condensed and edited version based on oral tradition and many things have been lost and added.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe Dinos and humans were alive at the same time, but never met each other. Environmentally, they were most likely prone to different habitats. Also, who is to say that they might not have shared the same space, or land at the time. In other words, they may have never encountered each other.

slick230

Banned
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Maybe Dinos and humans were alive at the same time, but never met each other. Environmentally, they were most likely prone to different habitats. Also, who is to say that they might not have shared the same space, or land at the time. In other words, they may have never encountered each other.

Guess you just choose to disregard all the scientific data that proves that primitive man and dinosaurs were not living together? Makes the "good" book a little easier to believe in, I guess.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: JackBurton Yeah, I know what you mean about those "weird" people. There are even people that congregate every Sunday to talk to an invisible magic man in the sky. And then pretend to drink his blood. Talk about WEIRD!:)
So you suggest it is better for people to have no faith? that we should all believe we are a random occurence with virutally no purpose in the grand scheme of things? just another genetic mutation? and that once this world is over then you are nothing more than ashes and dust?... sorry, while I am not the most religious person I still cannot see myself comming to terms with an atheist's outlook, IMHO it is too bleak and depressing, at least with a higher power there is the hope for something after death instead of a wasted existence... maybe when you get older you will understand, but I will assume you are still in your "I am young, invincable and never going to die" phase...either that or a pessimist.

I don't see why people are so dead set about having faith and caring whether they become nothing more than ashes and dust...

sorry, some people don't NEED to feel like there is something after this life. However, some people need religion to keep them from doing things that go against the species survival, so I'm glad those people are religious.

I actually had an ordained minister ask me once that if I didn't believe in god, why wasn't I out there raping and stealing and killing. My simple answer was that I don't need an imaginary hell to scare me out of doing those things, that doing those things themselves would be hell on earth.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Joemonkey
Originally posted by: JackBurton Yeah, I know what you mean about those "weird" people. There are even people that congregate every Sunday to talk to an invisible magic man in the sky. And then pretend to drink his blood. Talk about WEIRD!:)
So you suggest it is better for people to have no faith? that we should all believe we are a random occurence with virutally no purpose in the grand scheme of things? just another genetic mutation? and that once this world is over then you are nothing more than ashes and dust?... sorry, while I am not the most religious person I still cannot see myself comming to terms with an atheist's outlook, IMHO it is too bleak and depressing, at least with a higher power there is the hope for something after death instead of a wasted existence... maybe when you get older you will understand, but I will assume you are still in your "I am young, invincable and never going to die" phase...either that or a pessimist.

I don't see why people are so dead set about having faith and caring whether they become nothing more than ashes and dust...

sorry, some people don't NEED to feel like there is something after this life. However, some people need religion to keep them from doing things that go against the species survival, so I'm glad those people are religious.

I actually had an ordained minister ask me once that if I didn't believe in god, why wasn't I out there raping and stealing and killing. My simple answer was that I don't need an imaginary hell to scare me out of doing those things, that doing those things themselves would be hell on earth.
Exactly.

You do not have to have faith in a being created by human kind to be optimistic.

You certainly do not have to be religious to have morals. The very idea is ridiculous.