So, how does Christianity explain the dinosaurs?

OOBradm

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
SO, within the first 7 days, god created the heavens and the earth and man. What about the dinosaurs? Is this a flaw?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: OOBradm
Im in no way trying to bash religion. Im just honestly curious.

we'll see how this one turns out then

OOBradm

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
So, the Bible says humans coexisted with dinosaurs then?

Because - God made the earth THEN he made humans.

Dinosaurs lived on the earth.

Either dinos lived with humans, or before humans. But if the latter is true, why arent they mentioned?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It says He created creatures in the sea, birds, and animals on land (before He created man).

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
God made the heavens and the earth and the ANIMALS and man in 6 days. Dinosaurs are animals. The way you set up your question, you might as well have asked how Christianity explains cats.

OOBradm

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
Dinosaurs ruled the planets though for millions of years.

So, i suppose the answer to my question lies in the definition of how long a "Day" is

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
the bible does mention large levathian lizards... mind you, it also doesn't mention koalas, but it doesn't mean the bible is any less true because it does not specifically address koalas. the flood could've easily just killed off all the dinosaurs, and at the same time caused the conditions necessary for fossilization (you know, burying under sediment, etc.)

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
the Dinosaur thing is a bit tricky for christians, but most (or at least a lot) would say that Dinosaurs co-existed on earth till the flood, which caused most of the fossils. Of course they would have come on the ark w/ noah (Or baby ones would have), but they must have died out after the flood.

Honestly, this makes some sense, since there is no way a dino falling dead is going to be fossilized, with out allowing for some catestrophic flood.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
It is commonly believed that the dinosaurs were killed off by the flood. I dont' remember the details but the air thinned out after the flood and huge animals could no longer breathe properly and died off. Some people even claim to have evidence, but like most other things in this world, there is no hard proof on way or the other.

DPmaster

Oct 31, 2000
I was talking to a coworker a few weeks ago about this subject. He said they were fabricated by scientists and that they weren't real :confused:. He said dinosaurs were a perverted invention of scientists to try to undermine God. I just nodded my head and went back to work.

AIWGuru

Banned
Nov 19, 2003
In genesis, it states that one day may seem 1000 years and 1000 years as one day.
So, 7 days is a lot fscking longer now, isn't it?
I'm not a Christian but I have seen that passage although I'm probably not remembering it exactly correctly.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
This drives me crazy.
VERY VERY few Christians take Genesis literally.
Most Christians in the world, about half, are Catholic.
John Paul, himself will tell you evolution is correct.
You really have to dig to find folks who take Genesis literallly.
You got to be kidding me.
Every book in the world contains allagories, metaphors, etc...
And Everyone in the world knows this.
How many people do you really think believe the 7 day stuff?
That is like me asking how Chinese people explain dinosaurs, after all, their creation myth is a 7 day event also.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: XZeroII
It is commonly believed that the dinosaurs were killed off by the flood. I dont' remember the details but the air thinned out after the flood and huge animals could no longer breathe properly and died off. Some people even claim to have evidence, but like most other things in this world, there is no hard proof on way or the other.

The air thinned out??? After a flood? WTF? :confused:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
once you realize that:

1) the Bible was never, ever meant to be an end all, be all on anything but there is a God and he has a son Jesus who died for sins.

2) Many 'Christians' are more or less out to make themselves look better than their fellow man than help him. Being saved when their 'brother' is not puts them one more ahead. Many of these zealots will argue to death things which are undebatable and use the Bible to declare themselves the winner.

I have been present though when one pastor has said both the moon landing and dinosaurs are creations of 'Hollywood'. It was a southern baptist 'church' if you could call it that.

Å

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
if the dinos were killed by the flood, then one would assume a fossilized layer of silt would rest on all dino fossils, yes?