Discussion So how do you like your cornbread?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Why would the chili be the side? As I recall the school lunch's chili and sandwich were fairly decent, and other peanut butters do not taste anything that PB did.

Sandwiches are obviously entrees, aka main dish. Many soups tend to be side dishes (usually served before the entree in a restaurant), usually a smaller portion. Especially fitting onto cafeteria plates, where I'd expect sandwiches to sit on the largest section of the tray. A side portion of chili would thus be in a smaller grid section. Hell even the largest portion, filled with a chili, is not a big serving.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
No fans of sweet cornbread? I like adding roasted whole corn, chiles, bacon, sun dried tomatoes or, fresh herbs. Cornbread makes a great starch option.

That's the beauty of cornbread- it's a "black dress" that goes with any occasion. I've sliced up roasted anaheim peppers and added them to the top of cornbread cupcakes, I've made pancakes sweetened with corn syrup, I've even made Mexican street (elote) cornbread with mayo, chili powder, and cotija or feta cheese (trust me on this one).

My favorite way to make it though is sweetened with sugar and honey and baked in cast iron. It reminds me of Sunday after-church dinners at my VERY rural grandparents farm. We would have 40 people over, everyone would bring a dish, and fresh vegetables that were in the garden just an hour before turned into something spectacular. Fresh-churned butter melting on slices of hot cornbread next to stewed ham-hock green beans, potatoes with sawmill gravy, a thick fried pork chop, trying to eat on a floppy cheap paper plate in the middle of a grassy field...kinda miss being 9 :sleepy:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Cornbread is a bit of an oddball because it comes in so many different varieties. Like, dry cornbread is boring to eat, but as soon as you stack some real Mac & Cheese & BBQ pulled pork on top, you've got something!

For standalone cornbread, like as a side, I tend to like the cakier ones that are more moist & easier to swallow. I also like it on the sweeter side, with honey. On a bit of a tangent, Tomalito is a really interesting variation if you ever want to try something different:

Lately, I've been hooked on cornbread pancakes ("corncakes"), which are kind of a savory approach to pancakes. I'm still trying to find the perfect recipe; I have this one on my weekend to-do list next:

I discovered them at a breakfast place that I like to take customers to that does this insane breakfast dish in a giant bowl:

1. Two cornbread pancakes
2. Smoked pulled pork
3. Poached eggs
4. Some sort of monster combination of ridiculously delicious sauces (sort of like a non-spicy BBQ sauce, striped on top of Béarnaise, drizzled over the top of Hollandaise, or something)
5. Side of crispy yet tender hand-cubed potatoes

Just went there the other day...I still have dreams about that meal, lol. You can kind of see one of the corncakes poking on the bottom right under the semi-shredded pork:

nomnomnom.jpg

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Sweet cornbread sucks. Buttermilk cornbread in a cast iron skillet is good. So is hot water cornbread

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Sweet cornbread sucks. Buttermilk cornbread in a cast iron skillet is good. So is hot water cornbread

I like the concept, but man do I have a hard time swallowing dry bready stuff...I grew up in the south & liked the flavor, but just never got used to eating it plain. I always had to drizzle on honey or eat it with baked beans or something else "wet" to help it go down...

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Cornbread is a bit of an oddball because it comes in so many different varieties. Like, dry cornbread is boring to eat, but as soon as you stack some real Mac & Cheese & BBQ pulled pork on top, you've got something!

For standalone cornbread, like as a side, I tend to like the cakier ones that are more moist & easier to swallow. I also like it on the sweeter side, with honey. On a bit of a tangent, Tomalito is a really interesting variation if you ever want to try something different:

Lately, I've been hooked on cornbread pancakes ("corncakes"), which are kind of a savory approach to pancakes. I'm still trying to find the perfect recipe; I have this one on my weekend to-do list next:

I discovered them at a breakfast place that I like to take customers to that does this insane breakfast dish in a giant bowl:

1. Two cornbread pancakes
2. Smoked pulled pork
3. Poached eggs
4. Some sort of monster combination of ridiculously delicious sauces (sort of like a non-spicy BBQ sauce, striped on top of Béarnaise, drizzled over the top of Hollandaise, or something)
5. Side of crispy yet tender hand-cubed potatoes

Just went there the other day...I still have dreams about that meal, lol. You can kind of see one of the corncakes poking on the bottom right under the semi-shredded pork:

View attachment 10870

droooooooolll

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Sandwiches are obviously entrees, aka main dish. Many soups tend to be side dishes (usually served before the entree in a restaurant), usually a smaller portion. Especially fitting onto cafeteria plates, where I'd expect sandwiches to sit on the largest section of the tray. A side portion of chili would thus be in a smaller grid section. Hell even the largest portion, filled with a chili, is not a big serving.
As I remember the bowl of chili was bigger then the sandwich, and chili is a stew not a soup. :rolleyes:

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Hang on... what kind of rolls?

Yeast rolls? Yeah I'm with ya there man, for most meals. Regular rolls? Depends on the meal, I love a good cornbread when it pairs well (which is true of any BBQ or smoked meat). But Chili? Don't even offer anything other than cornbread or there will be hell. Get out of here with those yeast rolls, potato rolls, artisan rolls, biscuits, etc, not with chili, not in this house!
How about Big fat yeast rolls?,

Reactions: pcgeek11

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I like it okay (unless it has kernels of corn in it, that was a nasty surprise the first time I encountered it), but isn't something I'll generally eat these days.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I like it okay (unless it has kernels of corn in it, that was a nasty surprise the first time I encountered it), but isn't something I'll generally eat these days.

I used to not be a fan of that, or really of any pieces of anything inside of a baked good like any bread -- I'd turn down brownies all the time growing up because I wanted nothing to do with peanuts or any other nut or seed on top or mixed into my brownies. Hell I'm still that way -- you leave my brownies alone!
It's a texture thing.

But I'm OK with some corn mixed into my cornbread. Definitely was not that way growing up, don't care to make it that way myself even today, but I can appreciate it.
I've never really been a fan of straight up corn served vegetable style. Cornmeal and other dry uses of corn? Absolutely. But corn on the cob and loose corn? Nah man. Though I definitely dig me some corn pudding (creamed corn aka cream style corn, bread crumbs, eggs, etc.. basically a sort of custard/pudding with sweetcorn serving as a significant contributor to the overall sweetness, carbs, and starch.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
my mom made cornbread all the time. my dad used to crumble the cornbread in a glass up to about a 1/2 inch from the top then fill it with buttermilk and use a spoon to eat it.

fucking gross.

he would only use one special glass to do this, it was a gold colored tall boy with thumb sized indents all over it. think 60's glassware.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcgeek11

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
for the winter days that are just around the corner.

Reactions: Kaido

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
my mom made cornbread all the time. my dad used to crumble the cornbread in a glass up to about a 1/2 inch from the top then fill it with buttermilk and use a spoon to eat it.

fucking gross.

he would only use one special glass to do this, it was a gold colored tall boy with thumb sized indents all over it. think 60's glassware.

I do this too. You should try it.

Also good if you substitute collard green pot liquor in the place of the buttermilk.

• Wow
Reactions: Luna1968