Discussion So how do you like your cornbread?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Cornbread is ok but if given a choice I would go with hot rolls 10 out of 10 times. MMMmmm.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
A local news channel and the local newspaper provided this gem, a recipe I have found to be delicious (see below). I'll experiment with it though, usually putting more corn and less flour but not that much. I've had success with 3/4 (.75) cup cornmeal and 1 1/4 (1.25) cups flour. And I think I was able to cut the sugar down to 1/2c without ill effect but can't really remember. I want to try a new sugar replacement method on this recipe soon, probably half and half sugar and alternative sweetener, maybe with a chili soon.

I cook this up in a cast iron skillet and it's delicious. This tends to be the style I prefer but I do enjoy ones with a higher cornmeal to flour ratio (more cornmeal) that are less cakey, but always gravitate back to this one.

Cakelike Cornbread

• 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/2 cups milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

“The only way I like cornbread is moist and sweet like cake,” writes Chef Jeff Henderson, “but you don’t often find it made that way.”

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Whisk together the milk, eggs, and melted butter in a separate bowl.

Without overmixing, slowly pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients while stirring. Halfway through the mixing process, stop mixing and scrape the bowl, then continue mixing.

Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch skillet, baking pan, or muffin tins. Bake until a fork inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Source: Jeff Henderson, Chef Jeff Cooks: In the Kitchen with America’s Inspirational New Culinary Star

Reactions: Kaido and Geekbabe

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
A local news channel and the local newspaper provided this gem, a recipe I have found to be delicious (see below). I'll experiment with it though, usually putting more corn and less flour but not that much. I've had success with 3/4 (.75) cup cornmeal and 1 1/4 (1.25) cups flour. And I think I was able to cut the sugar down to 1/2c without ill effect but can't really remember. I want to try a new sugar replacement method on this recipe soon, probably half and half sugar and alternative sweetener, maybe with a chili soon.

I cook this up in a cast iron skillet and it's delicious. This tends to be the style I prefer but I do enjoy ones with a higher cornmeal to flour ratio (more cornmeal) that are less cakey, but always gravitate back to this one.

Cakelike Cornbread

• 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/2 cups milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

“The only way I like cornbread is moist and sweet like cake,” writes Chef Jeff Henderson, “but you don’t often find it made that way.”

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Whisk together the milk, eggs, and melted butter in a separate bowl.

Without overmixing, slowly pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients while stirring. Halfway through the mixing process, stop mixing and scrape the bowl, then continue mixing.

Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch skillet, baking pan, or muffin tins. Bake until a fork inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Source: Jeff Henderson, Chef Jeff Cooks: In the Kitchen with America’s Inspirational New Culinary Star
I would skip the sugar entirely and just use vanilla extract instead.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I would skip the sugar entirely and just use vanilla extract instead.

I'll have to try adding vanilla, but the sweetness mustn't be skipped. That's why I do want to give a few alternative sweeteners a go for this recipe because I'd much rather cut back on unnecessary sugars. I prefer the idea of the cornbread itself already having most if not all of the desired sweetness, and then only using normal butter when serving. Perhaps a honey butter, and if that's the serving style in mind I would probably cut some sugar from the bread.

I'd hesitate to skip all sugar entirely from that recipe specifically, because it almost certainly has a role in results other than sweetness. I'd expect it to need additional dry ingredients to compensate (more cornmeal?) or it may need a little starch. But I wouldn't bank on serving it with those modifications, I'd need to test before it came time to make it right the first time (for an event/meal).

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
cormnread is yummy. best I had was at Maxies in Milwakuee. They had an orange honey butter that they served with it.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
I keep bag of jalapeno mini muffins in freezer to add to soups or to crush and sprinkle on leftovers to make it seem different.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
No sir I don't like it. I'm not a big biscuit/bread fan, shit's too dry for me, and that's especially true for cornbread. Although the biscuits at KFC are f'ing great, when you slather them in butter and honey.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Jestine's in Charleston, SC has really good corn bread. They serve it with butter and honey.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Cornbread is ok but if given a choice I would go with hot rolls 10 out of 10 times. MMMmmm.

Hang on... what kind of rolls?

Yeast rolls? Yeah I'm with ya there man, for most meals. Regular rolls? Depends on the meal, I love a good cornbread when it pairs well (which is true of any BBQ or smoked meat). But Chili? Don't even offer anything other than cornbread or there will be hell. Get out of here with those yeast rolls, potato rolls, artisan rolls, biscuits, etc, not with chili, not in this house!

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hang on... what kind of rolls?

Yeast rolls? Yeah I'm with ya there man, for most meals. Regular rolls? Depends on the meal, I love a good cornbread when it pairs well (which is true of any BBQ or smoked meat). But Chili? Don't even offer anything other than cornbread or there will be hell. Get out of here with those yeast rolls, potato rolls, artisan rolls, biscuits, etc, not with chili, not in this house!
I don't recall having cornbread with Chili before, peanut butter sandwich yes, but cornbread?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I like corn bread but it has to be moist, too many people make it way too dry.

Give that recipe I shared a go, very moist when cooked right. I haven't had a bad batch cooking in my cast iron skillet.

Oh, I'm going to plug here for a modern quality cast iron skillet, not the new, cheap, rough and sand cast cookware Lodge et all sell these days.
Stargazer Cast Iron: https://stargazercastiron.com/

I bought the ~10" skillet (highly sloped walls, bottom surface is nearly 8") a couple years back when they were new and couldn't keep up with production, had a wait list. But they offer both non-seasoned and pre-seasoned, but they described their seasoning process and it's top notch. They provide a Crisbee puck for additional seasoning but their pre-seasoning method is a blend of canola, grapeseed, and sunflower oils cooked onto the pan in a few layers.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I don't recall having cornbread with Chili before, peanut butter sandwich yes, but cornbread?

.... a PB&J with Chili?

As for the cornbread, I reckon that the chili+cornbread combo probably isn't universal, as there isn't a universal chili to begin with. Regions do their own things.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
.... a PB&J with Chili?

As for the cornbread, I reckon that the chili+cornbread combo probably isn't universal, as there isn't a universal chili to begin with. Regions do their own things.
School lunches back when I went to school as a kid and in my teens.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
School lunches back when I went to school as a kid and in my teens.

oh lol

I was thinking of actual meals cooked to be consumed with enjoyment. Not cafeteria food. But also, the chili would have been the side in those instances, with the PB&J or other food item being the entree. I'm talking of bowls of hearty chili as the meal in its entirety. A side of cornbread with that? Yes please.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
oh lol

I was thinking of actual meals cooked to be consumed with enjoyment. Not cafeteria food. But also, the chili would have been the side in those instances, with the PB&J or other food item being the entree. I'm talking of bowls of hearty chili as the meal in its entirety. A side of cornbread with that? Yes please.
Why would the chili be the side? As I recall the school lunch's chili and sandwich were fairly decent, and other peanut butters do not taste anything that PB did.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Fuck Karo syrup...

a49277f7e4abb3b601835ae9c3103ce4.jpg

My wife spent much of her youth in Canuckistan...Rogers is what she uses.
wait a minute.

If she spent so much time up here why isn't she using maple syrup? The nectar of the gods.

Reactions: whm1974 and lxskllr