So...how do I buy a used phone now, and not get burned?

Dec 30, 2004
Looking at the Razr M.
Buying with Box+Accessories would most likely mean original owner (theft/phone database).

But what about it being reported stolen after the fact?

Even if you buy on ebay, how about when they fail to make the contract payments?

If the phone is activated on another account, is it still tied somehow to the contracted account?

Considering just ponying up cash for a brand new one off Amazon...but that's a lot of money.

railer

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2000
I've always bought phones off ebay. I buy from people with good feedback ratings, and not from these wholesale outlets that buy and sell used phones by the 1000's. Haven't had a problem yet....

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
Looking at the Razr M.
Buying with Box+Accessories would most likely mean original owner (theft/phone database).

But what about it being reported stolen after the fact?

Even if you buy on ebay, how about when they fail to make the contract payments?

If the phone is activated on another account, is it still tied somehow to the contracted account?

Considering just ponying up cash for a brand new one off Amazon...but that's a lot of money.

If you're a member of the XDA forums, there are a lot of established people there that sell their phones left and right. A lot of people there are hobbyists which is why they might go through 1-3 phones at a time.

I've sold my phones through there about 10 times now, and I've had smooth transactions. Only problem is they changed the restrictions to something like 50 posts first and have to have been a member for... 6 months or something of that sort..

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Hopefully the problem sorts itself out in short order as people stop stealing phones because they can't be easily resold.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
For Verizon, clean ESN at time of sale is all you need. Just phone in and have them transfer it to your account on the spot. Sprint too.

It's unfortunately GSM carriers that can allow the "report it lost afterwards" bullcrap. Also, for T-mo, the big risk is that they bought it on the installment option of the Value plans and stop paying. It's absolute BS but they're way more aggressive about blacklisting these IMEIs than those of actually stolen devices.

You can stick to XDA or swappa if you want a better seller pool than craigs.

Dec 30, 2004
For Verizon, clean ESN at time of sale is all you need. Just phone in and have them transfer it to your account on the spot. Sprint too.

It's unfortunately GSM carriers that can allow the "report it lost afterwards" bullcrap. Also, for T-mo, the big risk is that they bought it on the installment option of the Value plans and stop paying. It's absolute BS but they're way more aggressive about blacklisting these IMEIs than those of actually stolen devices.

Good advice all thanks.
Verizon phone to AT&T network (StraightTalk) so who knows.
FCC regulations will most certainly be updated once people start complaining.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
If you're a member of the XDA forums, there are a lot of established people there that sell their phones left and right. A lot of people there are hobbyists which is why they might go through 1-3 phones at a time.

I've sold my phones through there about 10 times now, and I've had smooth transactions. Only problem is they changed the restrictions to something like 50 posts first and have to have been a member for... 6 months or something of that sort..

This. I feel way more confident buying/selling in communities like this one. You can improve your odds by going to [H], OC and other forums with integrity. Apply common sense when you look at the user's profile/history and you'll know right away if you should buy. To ease concerns, you should point to forums where you are established, in case you are buying on a forum where you just signed up.

Dec 30, 2004
So apparently the recent Motorola phones such as the Razr M is MNC blocked in the radio flash to prevent you from using it on local GSM carriers. AT&T and T-mobile.
You can use it elsewhere in the world because they have different MNCs.
This is a circumvention of the 700mhz spectrum FCC agreement-- they still ALLOW the other SIM cards, they just won't let you connect to those networks. Following the letter but not the spirit...

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
So apparently the recent Motorola phones such as the Razr M is MNC blocked in the radio flash to prevent you from using it on local GSM carriers. AT&T and T-mobile.
You can use it elsewhere in the world because they have different MNCs.
This is a circumvention of the 700mhz spectrum FCC agreement-- they still ALLOW the other SIM cards, they just won't let you connect to those networks. Following the letter but not the spirit...

I'd personally just avoid any phone that has anything to do with a CDMA carrier, as the standard isn't built on openness, but carrier control.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011

Thank-you for this info. I thought it was tied to an account until the term ended.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I sell my phones on Craig's list & meet the buyer at the Verizon store so they can check the phone & activate right at the time of sale. Safety for the buyer, elimination of any headaches for me going forward.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
You can get lower prices on Craigslist, and a local deal means you can meet at a Verizon store and check it's ESN before the sale. You can even activate it on your line immediately.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
checkesnfree.com

but, even if you buy it clean ESN at the time, there's always an opportunity to have the seller re-activate it before you can activate it on your account. never seen that happen though (nor would i understand why the seller would do that..)

on another note, Verizon's iPhone 5 is fully GSM-unlocked. how strange is that? :p kinda surprised to hear about the Razr M blocking domestic GSM usage, especially after they let slip the iPhone 5. Verizon's iPhone 4S has domestic GSM blocked also.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
You can get lower prices on Craigslist, and a local deal means you can meet at a Verizon store and check it's ESN before the sale. You can even activate it on your line immediately.

This. In most areas there is a Verizon store within several miles of anyone. I've bought and sold my last three or for transactions this way. If the seller doesn't like the idea, thank him kindly and move on.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Yeah I always do transactions at the local Verizon store. If a seller does not want to do this, there's a good chance something is fishy.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Does meeting at the local store really protect you? When I asked this question a month or so ago I was led to believe that someone who carried 3rd party insurance (say squaretrade?) could still file a stolen/lost phone claim even after meeting at the store and render the ESN dead. Maybe I misunderstood?

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008

is that really true for verizon. someone could report it stolen after you bought it couldnt they?

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
Does meeting at the local store really protect you? When I asked this question a month or so ago I was led to believe that someone who carried 3rd party insurance (say squaretrade?) could still file a stolen/lost phone claim even after meeting at the store and render the ESN dead. Maybe I misunderstood?

they can't file lost/stolen ESN, since you "legally" own the phone now.

they can't claim that the ESN that you purchased, to "turn in" for 3rd party insurance, will work because at the time, the ESN was clean/free, then activated on your line (so you assume ownership)

--

with that being said, i'm curious to see what happens to all the GSM phones now.
ESN (CDMA phones) were always checked before it could be activated.
there are people walking around with stolen GSM AT&T iPhones being used on either AT&T (another account) or T-Mobile. what happens to them, ever since the 11/1/2012 change?