So Darren Wilson has a clean record?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
I don't think we really need a new thread for every thing related to this situation, do we? They're all related to the same incident and should be kept to one thread.

I definitely agree. If it was some solid facts instead of "theories", I wouldn't mind but it's all conjure. Will a mod please merge the threads?

Feb 4, 2009
Guess what? Gun or not, when an officer says "don't make any sudden moves" and you make a move to reach toward your pants, you're getting shot. Not saying that happened in this case, but it most certainly could have. While it might suck for the family that their child (who was a thug) was unarmed and killed, it certainly isn't a reason for morons to riot.

Also, using a quote from the racist Al Sharpton... err, I mean the reverend Al Sharpton just discredits you even further.

So fewer than 12% should vote? Sharpton has his own agenda but that doesn't mean he's wrong all the time.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Lol, what the fuck are you talking about?! The white mans game is shit talking about the deceased, to paint an unfavorable picture of the guy.

I have no idea what your post is going off about.

Are you saying it is wrong to use biases to paint an unfavorable picture of someone?

We are inside of a thread which is one amongst several that Oldgamer is using to shit talk about an officer, to paint an unfavorable picture of the guy based more on his own prior biases than an open quest for information.

The post you responded to, was making the case not to do such things.

Your response basically said that black people should not just shut up and take it, that they should fight in these ways. Of which the next sentence you say they should not play white mans game, which you now define to be what you were advocating blacks to do previously.

You made a very confusing statement. And I was curious what you define as "white mans game" and what you would define as "black mans game". Those in the community who decided not to "shut up and take it", took to rioting, looting, vandalizing, burning, and I was curious if that was your approved "black response" to the situation?

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Are you saying it is wrong to use biases to paint an unfavorable picture of someone?

No, that's not what I'm saying.

We are inside of a thread which is one amongst several that Oldgamer is using to shit talk about an officer, to paint an unfavorable picture of the guy based more on his own prior biases than an open quest for information.

Yes because that's the exact same thing the police were doing, releasing selected facts to paint brown in a certain light.

The post you responded to, was making the case not to do such things.

Yes and that's exactly what I take issue with. It's the "do as I say not as I do" routine and it's complete bullshit. Being the better person and taking the high road doesn't get you shit in an unjust world, asking people to tie their hands because two wrongs don't make it right is total garbage in this instance. Being the better person gets you nothing except forgotten.

Your response basically said that black people should not just shut up and take it, that they should fight in these ways. Of which the next sentence you say they should not play white mans game, which you now define to be what you were advocating blacks to do previously.

You made a very confusing statement. And I was curious what you define as "white mans game" and what you would define as "black mans game". Those in the community who decided not to "shut up and take it", took to rioting, looting, vandalizing, burning, and I was curious if that was your approved "black response" to the situation?

The last part I have no idea what you are talking about, you are stretching.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Yes and that's exactly what I take issue with. It's the "do as I say not as I do" routine and it's complete bullshit. Being the better person and taking the high road doesn't get you shit in an unjust world, asking people to tie their hands because two wrongs don't make it right is total garbage in this instance. Being the better person gets you nothing except forgotten.

I had a suspicion that's exactly what you were saying.

I've fought back and forth with you in several other threads in the past, where you had no moral issue making shit up out of thin air in attacks on other people. Fight dirty. Get your way through force.

Because being the better person is for losers.

I'm sure you are proud of yourself. You're not involving yourself in the "white man's game", suggesting that since I am white and the cop is white, I should always defend my fellow white man against any black man. We're race teammates for life. Like you, who will always stand up for his fellow black man regardless of right or wrong, because to stand for what is right regardless of skin color is the "white mans game" and should not be tolerated.

"do as I say not as I do"
I am saying while some other white person did. In your mind are we the same person because of skin color? That's the only way "do as I say not as I do" could work.

Anyways, if that is how you perceive the world, you can kindly take those racist views elsewhere and be forgotten somewhere else. Thank you.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Lol! Can you name anyone in history that was the better person in a similar situation that didn't come out as the loser (for example; dead).

Ghandi? Shot dead.
Martin Luther king? Shot dead.
Jesus? Crucified.

You live in a mental utopia that doesn't exist and you want other people to play by your rules while those they are fighting against don't play by the rules.

And I'm not talking about violence either, you'd like me to but that's because you've already placed me in a nice little box for which you use to shield yourself from reality.

Btw I'm on team logic, color, race, gender, or any other category doesn't mean shit to me.

Lol at you calling me a racist! That was funny.

Last edited:

Riparian

Jul 21, 2011
Lol, this article is comically biased. This quote really seals the deal for how stupid it's getting:

The fact that Officer Wilson had no disciplinary record is different from the fact that he has no record of using excessive force. It could mean that he was not disciplined for use of force. Or that he never used excessive force.

Let me make the same quote for Brown:

The fact that Brown has no record of murder is different from the fact that he has not murdered. It could mean that he has yet to be caught for murder. Or that he didn't murder anyone.

I'm guessing you're also for the release of the video of Brown robbing the cigars since you seem to be in support of judging an individual by past deeds, or in this case, judging an individual for the misdeeds of others.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Lol, this article is comically biased. This quote really seals the deal for how stupid it's getting:

Let me make the same quote for Brown:

I'm guessing you're also for the release of the video of Brown robbing the cigars since you seem to be in support of judging an individual by past deeds, or in this case, judging an individual for the misdeeds of others.

So you ignore the previous issues with that particular police station? This mentality is exactly what I'm talking about! Did the above poster condemn the release of only info that painted the victim in negative light? Or did he say that such information released in piecemeal is really suspect? Of course he didn't but he is sure as shit complaining about the people who sympathize with the victim releasing information that might paint the officer in a negative light!

Double standard? Yeah, I'd say so and you fucks are completely oblivious to it.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I definitely agree. If it was some solid facts instead of "theories", I wouldn't mind but it's all conjure. Will a mod please merge the threads?

I would ask that it stays like it is, I honestly don't see how its hurting anything and it stands on its own as it is.

My pappy always told me if I don't like a thread don't read it but don't be a puts and complain about it. I would think we should be encouraging folks to post, forums and AToT ain't a spring chicken anymore...

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Wait - I thought character assassination was a bad thing??

Oh, right, this is a cop hate thread. My bad.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
So you ignore the previous issues with that particular police station? This mentality is exactly what I'm talking about! Did the above poster condemn the release of only info that painted the victim in negative light? Or did he say that such information released in piecemeal is really suspect? Of course he didn't but he is sure as shit complaining about the people who sympathize with the victim releasing information that might paint the officer in a negative light!

So you don't see how the fact that Brown was factually engaged in criminal activities literally 10 min before the incident is a little more relevant than what some other cop in the city did years ago?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
So basically the black people should just shut up and take it. Playing the white mans game makes them what exactly?

Do as I say not as I do, right?

Yes, they should shut up and take it. If they can't abide by the norms of civilized society like obeying lawful police orders then you lose the right to complain about what happens to you unless it's completely beyond the pale. When the cop gives you a lawful order you obey, I don't give a fuck how much you think you're being "disrepected" or your pride is hurt.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
So more than 12% of the people living there are looters?

I'd wager less than 12% of the population are actually intelligent and informed enough to vote. The entire idea of "voting by party" is completely fucking stupid. There should be a standard test that requires you to be able to answer random multiple choice questions concerning the policies the candidates are running on. If you can't, you can't vote for that position.

Riparian

Jul 21, 2011

I feel that you need to work on clarifying your points. It's hard to figure out what you're trying to point out. With regards to my post, it is addressing only the OP's article and not any subsequent posts.

Also, if you believe that we should judge this officer's actions based upon the past misdeeds of the police station, then you are essentially in support of profiling a specific person based upon actions committed by others. Hopefully that sounds like a familiar and poor practice often committed by the police.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
So you don't see how the fact that Brown was factually engaged in criminal activities literally 10 min before the incident is a little more relevant than what some other cop in the city did years ago?

Considering the police chief said the officer wasn't aware of said crime and that that wasn't the reason for engaging him, no, it's not relevant.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Yes, they should shut up and take it. If they can't abide by the norms of civilized society like obeying lawful police orders then you lose the right to complain about what happens to you unless it's completely beyond the pale. When the cop gives you a lawful order you obey, I don't give a fuck how much you think you're being "disrepected" or your pride is hurt.

Just stop. You obviously don't get the point I was making since I wasn't referring to the riots or the initial interaction at all.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I feel that you need to work on clarifying your points. It's hard to figure out what you're trying to point out. With regards to my post, it is addressing only the OP's article and not any subsequent posts.

Also, if you believe that we should judge this officer's actions based upon the past misdeeds of the police station, then you are essentially in support of profiling a specific person based upon actions committed by others. Hopefully that sounds like a familiar and poor practice often committed by the police.

No I don't support profiling, nor do I support releasing little bits of info, a la Darrel Issa style, to paint someone/incident in a certain light. However, it's too late, one side has already broken that "rule" and I feel that the otherside is completely within their right to now do the same.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Considering the police chief said the officer wasn't aware of said crime and that that wasn't the reason for engaging him, no, it's not relevant.

And you don't think that Brown's criminal activities immediately prior to being confronted by the officer might have impacted how Brown reacted at all?

You don't think that a person who had engaged in criminal activity 10 min prior might be more likely to engage in more criminal activity than a randomly selected person? Perhaps Brown turned over a new life on the way home from robbing the store and decided to become an upstanding citizen?

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
So oldgamer makes the point a clean record could be the result of bad record keeping in a depart with a record of proven bad behavior. Oh! The butthurt is strong among the cop lovers here. Your blind eye must be turning at high speed now. Whizzzz!

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
12 witnesses went to the police and confirmed the police officer's account. It is possible that some of the news people knew about this but kept it hidden.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
So oldgamer makes the point a clean record could be the result of bad record keeping in a depart with a record of proven bad behavior. Oh! The butthurt is strong among the cop lovers here. Your blind eye must be turning at high speed now. Whizzzz!

Well you know I just hate every cop.. sigh.. just an old damned cop hater I am.. :rolleyes:

You know, not that my points were there and valid or anything..