So... CoD 4

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

martensite

Aug 8, 2001
I am just going to repost what I wrote in the Punkbuster thread.

Yeah, the hoppers/jumpers are a nuisance in the normal mode, if they are reasonably close by and evade your bullets. But they are less of a problem if they are further away because the aim correction required is relatively lower.

The biggest problem with the normal mode is that a lot of stealth/careful planning to flank the enemy goes down the drain as soon as you run into more than 2 of them. By the time it takes to kill the first or second one, his buddies have already got you. This is especially true when your loadout is UAVjammer+bandolier+Silencer+deep impact. Some of the silenced assault rifles are so weak, that I've had serious trouble taking down some tangos at medium and long range. By the time I've emptied quarter of a mag into them, they've already shot me to bits with their AK modded with stopping power and deep impact.:eek:

It's a totally different story in hardcore, and IMO, this is where the game really shines. Bunny hoppers are easily dealt with, and good planning and tactics pay off well. There is a lot of satisfaction in stealthily outflanking the tangos and precision popping a few with merely a couple of bullets to each one, and their buddies not realising what's happening. The only sound is the sweet, soft, putt-putting of my silenced assault rifle.:D At times, I've wiped out groups of 8-9 guys before people even realized that someone from behind was picking them off. I am usually in the top 3 scorers on my team in HC, but no such guarantees in normal mode.

A couple of days ago, I had one of the best moments in COD4 MP. I was crouching in a building in Pipeline, looking down my iron sights. Sheer instinct made me turn around, slashing with the knife, and lo and behold, there's a dead tango in a ghillie suit. Mofo was sprinting towards me trying to knife me in the ass, but I got him because of my spider sense.:evil:

Aug 15, 2007
A couple of days ago, I had one of the best moments in COD4 MP. I was crouching in a building in Pipeline, looking down my iron sights. Sheer instinct made me turn around, slashing with the knife, and lo and behold, there's a dead tango in a ghillie suit. Mofo was sprinting towards me trying to knife me in the ass, but I got him because of my spider sense.

Ha ha. Brilliant. Love moments like that when they crop up.

My current favorite is my sniper class (since they fixed the sniper rifles) but it does lead to me running out of ammo quite a bit on some of the more sniper friendly maps. Fortunately you can still snipe a little with the desert eagle. The other day I ran out of ammo on both and just went on a knife rampage. Charged the lines and killed 4 guys before they managed to take me down. I was laughing so hard.

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
How do you find a sniper server? When I load up the list I don't remember seeing anything identifying them????

And what do you all mean when you refer to "hardcore"?

Lastly, preobably a dumb question, where can I find out the order of the ranks? I'm almost a captain, just not sure what elses is coming up.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Energizer Bunny
A couple of days ago, I had one of the best moments in COD4 MP. I was crouching in a building in Pipeline, looking down my iron sights. Sheer instinct made me turn around, slashing with the knife, and lo and behold, there's a dead tango in a ghillie suit. Mofo was sprinting towards me trying to knife me in the ass, but I got him because of my spider sense.

Ha ha. Brilliant. Love moments like that when they crop up.

My current favorite is my sniper class (since they fixed the sniper rifles) but it does lead to me running out of ammo quite a bit on some of the more sniper friendly maps. Fortunately you can still snipe a little with the desert eagle. The other day I ran out of ammo on both and just went on a knife rampage. Charged the lines and killed 4 guys before they managed to take me down. I was laughing so hard.

I was using Last Stand the other night and actually a knifed a guy who came in to finish me off. Great fun.

RS8

Oct 14, 2007
One server decided to ban me because some scrub thought I was using aimbot. Didn't help that I easily doubled everyones kills and score for a few games straight. Admin decides to spec me and feels that I am indeed "hacking."

M16+red paired with stopping power on a hardcore server = one burst and death. Just terrible.

De8212 - hardcore = no map (unless UAV goes up) and weapons are "realistic" in a way that one or two well placed shots will kill someone.

I think the 'sniper' servers just refer to the ones that cycle particular maps. There aren't many that actually let you use a scope to it's full potential.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Anybody else get servere lag with air strikes? I'm trying to figure out which setting i have to tweak to get the PC from dragging. It might even be the sound..I dunno.

Zumbador

Nov 1, 2006
They should make some "super hardcore" servers where getting shot lands you in the infirmary for a few weeks.

Or not...

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Regs
Anybody else get servere lag with air strikes? I'm trying to figure out which setting i have to tweak to get the PC from dragging. It might even be the sound..I dunno.

Most likely soft smoke shadows. Its the only setting that drops my FPS below 60 on a GTX with everything else maxed (no AA) at 1600x1200.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Now that the games been out for a while, and everyone is upgraded and has figured out the cheap ways to get kills, its really starting to degenerate.

Grenade launcher spam (aka Noob Tubing) is the #1 pisser. Second to that is the 3xfrag spam. Right below that is the cheap martyrdom kill. Lets not forget LMG pwnage, which are just as accurate as sniper rifles and assault rifles in single shots. Combine that with the tactic of camp till you get 5 kills, die, airstrike, die, airstrike, lather rinse repeat, and it becomes pretty pointless pretty quickly.

They finally made the sniper rifles decent, although IMO they still need to lower the level of drift there, or at least make holding breath more responsive like it was in COD2.

The game still has some serious balance issues. GL splash damage should be significantly reduced and/or limited to one round. Sniper rifles are still too unwieldy compared to ARs. LMGs shouldnt be THAT accurate in small bursts. Airstrikes/Heli should be limited to one per person per round, or at the very least, airstrike/heli kills should never count towards another one. All of these issues are incredibly compounded in hardcore mode....its become just another spamfest at this point now that everyone has figured it all out. And airstrikes/heli are FAR too easily abused.

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: RS8

De8212 - hardcore = no map (unless UAV goes up) and weapons are "realistic" in a way that one or two well placed shots will kill someone.

I think the 'sniper' servers just refer to the ones that cycle particular maps. There aren't many that actually let you use a scope to it's full potential.

Hardcore = no map? :confused:

I was thinking sniper servers only had the sniper rifle in them. I remember playing UT GOTY on sniper servers 5 - 6 yrs ago. It was a blast.

RS8

Oct 14, 2007
Haha sorry, I just caught my "no map" comment. I guess I should've said no radar?

I could be wrong in regards to the whole sniper server comment though.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Jesus, how much do you play? I'm level 31 IIRC and I've been playing a good 1-2 hours per day since Friday.

Maybe a couple hours a day on average. I've had it since it came out. I was a 55 about 4 days after the game came out.

I finally earned up to the golden shotgun. That thing is ugly. Looks like mustard and not gold.

Chriscross3234

Jun 4, 2006
So yeah, I just got CoD 4 and I'm a bit disappointed. The single player campaign was somewhat lengthy and fairly enjoyable, I thought they did a good job adding in new content like the AC-130 mission or the sniper missions. Overall, I thought SP was pretty innovative and the new weapons and environments are really amazing. The part that disappointed me was the overly-hyped multiplayer. I'm a long time player of both CoD1 MP and CoD2 MP and that's whats so disappointing. The map design is really horrible with all maps being overly close quarters and none of them come close to any of CoD2's classic maps like Carentan or Brecourt. They are all very cramped especially with all the airstrikes going on, it's almost impossible to find some decent sniping spots. I really don't enjoy the BF2ish class system they have going on either because the more advanced weapons seem to completely dominate people who have just started. I remember first playing with the standard M16 dying very often, but when I pick up a souped up P90 or M4, I went to town and got multiple 6-7 kill streaks. Oh well... back to playing TF2

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just started using the G3. Oh how does that suck. Who the hell uses a pure semi automatic weapon as a frontline combat weapon. Feel like the damn germans going against garands and bars with the freaking k98.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Chriscross3234
So yeah, I just got CoD 4 and I'm a bit disappointed. The single player campaign was somewhat lengthy and fairly enjoyable, I thought they did a good job adding in new content like the AC-130 mission or the sniper missions. Overall, I thought SP was pretty innovative and the new weapons and environments are really amazing. The part that disappointed me was the overly-hyped multiplayer. I'm a long time player of both CoD1 MP and CoD2 MP and that's whats so disappointing. The map design is really horrible with all maps being overly close quarters and none of them come close to any of CoD2's classic maps like Carentan or Brecourt. They are all very cramped especially with all the airstrikes going on, it's almost impossible to find some decent sniping spots. I really don't enjoy the BF2ish class system they have going on either because the more advanced weapons seem to completely dominate people who have just started. I remember first playing with the standard M16 dying very often, but when I pick up a souped up P90 or M4, I went to town and got multiple 6-7 kill streaks. Oh well... back to playing TF2

I agree with you there. The air strikes piss me the hell off. Not only does it make my screen shake everytime I go for that perfect kill, my pc lags to high hell. Then they target where you spawn back, so I died at least 3 times by just spawning. An Air strike every 5 seconds is just excessive.

The maps do need to be larger, especially when you have 14 vs 14 or more and it turns into a gernade toss fest, and all your team mates block your passage or fire sights.

My head hurts for playing it so long. I get motion sickness after 4 hours and a major headache.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: lupi
Just started using the G3. Oh how does that suck. Who the hell uses a pure semi automatic weapon as a frontline combat weapon. Feel like the damn germans going against garands and bars with the freaking k98.

The g3 does more damage though and is more accurate with one shot.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Very very mixed bag. The SP campaign had some awesome setpieces - but most of the actual gameplay was respawn city. Worth a playthrough for the set pieces, but you probably won't want to replay it.

MP has huge issues. Most servers have player limits way too high, resulting in very spammy gameplay. The airstrikes and helo's just make this worse, and there really really needs to be a server side way to completely disable air support. I'd also really like to see some way to limit grenades on a per match basis in addition to the per spawn - make people think about using their grenades wisely, if they can actually run out.

There's a bigger issue though - while the MMORPG style leveling is kind of cool, and with the exception of the P90 (which, IMHO, needs a giant nerf), most of the best weapons are available from the get go - having seperate challenges to get things instead of a single XP pool was a bad idea. Obviously an X-box achievement thing, really, but it creates situations where your team is losing horrifically in domination or other modes because everybody on the team is much more interested in getting 25 headshots with a sniper rifle or blowing up 50 cars then they are in actually dominating anybody. As it stands, only team death match is really reliable for having players doing what they should be doing, and that's only because the challenges generally involving killing the other team.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: PhatoseAlpha
Very very mixed bag. The SP campaign had some awesome setpieces - but most of the actual gameplay was respawn city. Worth a playthrough for the set pieces, but you probably won't want to replay it.

MP has huge issues. Most servers have player limits way too high, resulting in very spammy gameplay. The airstrikes and helo's just make this worse, and there really really needs to be a server side way to completely disable air support. I'd also really like to see some way to limit grenades on a per match basis in addition to the per spawn - make people think about using their grenades wisely, if they can actually run out.

There's a bigger issue though - while the MMORPG style leveling is kind of cool, and with the exception of the P90 (which, IMHO, needs a giant nerf), most of the best weapons are available from the get go - having seperate challenges to get things instead of a single XP pool was a bad idea. Obviously an X-box achievement thing, really, but it creates situations where your team is losing horrifically in domination or other modes because everybody on the team is much more interested in getting 25 headshots with a sniper rifle or blowing up 50 cars then they are in actually dominating anybody. As it stands, only team death match is really reliable for having players doing what they should be doing, and that's only because the challenges generally involving killing the other team.

Couldn't disagree more with about everything you said about MP.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002

How can you disagree about the Maps size/ player count ratio? Feels like im in a arena with gernades bouncing off everywhere, bombs droping from the sky constantly, and 13 other team mates who you can't really communicate too. There's no front line, just people running everywhere. So when you duck for cover, there's likely somebody behind you spraying bullets.

It's a gauntlet more than half the time.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Regs

How can you disagree about the Maps size/ player count ratio? Feels like im in a arena with gernades bouncing off everywhere, bombs droping from the sky constantly, and 13 other team mates who you can't really communicate too. There's no front line, just people running everywhere. So when you duck for cover, there's likely somebody behind you spraying bullets.

It's a gauntlet more than half the time.

The only maps where I feel like that is the shipping container one and the ship and if the server I'm playing on is switching to one of those I leave the server.

It's so stupid to play on a map where both teams are spawning on top of each other and on the shipping crate map, it's literally, you spawn, 2 secs later a guy from the other team spawns in the exact same place.

I try to stick to HQ servers as most of the time people will go for the objectives. But even then it's hard to find a server with even teams, which for me is what it's all about.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
most servers are way too crowded for the map sizes they offer. it is fun for 20 minutes. and some weapons in this are really unbalanced, like the p90. and i will usually be in the top3 pretty much most of the time, and it still runs out of fun pretty faast.

if you like anything tactical in your fps, this is not it. and without squad play, it is even less tactical in nature even on the few maps that can handle more players.

ugh. once the pretty wears off, this game's multiplayer is mediocre at best with a few golden moments.

man there are really no good new fps to play multiplayer on unless u love twitch-fests.

complainin about bunny hoppin is funny.i see the point if you are into realism, but if you cant shoot a bunny hopper then just get better aim.

Chriscross3234

Jun 4, 2006
Yup like I said before, CoD4 lacks that certain charm that was apparent in earlier CoD's, which is why it's a big let down. It seems like the only servers I have fun are with player caps of less than 20. And as others have said, any more than that will have definite spawning problems and the whole game just becomes a nightmare. The biggest problem are the maps, which dampens all the game modes (TDM, HQ, ect.) just as equally... There are absolutely no large maps at all. It seems to me that the developers half assed it and designed the maps specifically for consoles... I mean small, cramped, uninteresting, and lots of chaotic action. I know I can't ask for maps like Brecourt because those are from a WWII setting, but the classic maps from earlier CoD's have that perfect balance of long range areas mixed in with several close quarters areas. Brecourt had the nice open field settings, perfect for medium-long range fights, and it also had tunnel networks for nade-spamming close quarters combat. Depending on what type of player you were and what you preferred, you could stay in your area of choice and actually enjoy it. Maps like these would be a perfect fit for a game that attempts to mix BF2 elements (calling in airstrikes/helos) with existing CoD elements, but without them, MP is ruined.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
I must stay... I wanted to like the game more than I did but a few parts were just too damned frustrating. The game pretends to be tactical but at times forces you to advance faster than is comfortable - or sit back and shoot at endless waves of enemies.

Parts are brilliant... Many parts really, and it's definitely worth playing, but I feel like if I could have turned off that auto-respawn bullshit I would have enjoyed it that much more.