So Berkeley types want to explain this away?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
So you're proud to be one of the runners?

I'm a progressive remember? In my world I know what is best and will make sure it happens. In my world we don't allow the rich to acquire fortunes without taxing them to pay for equal and proper education so in my world we don't have a bunch of uneducated disgruntled blacks looking for a rich white mark to fuck over. In my world a big part of education is about how we destroy each other when we race to the bottom so we have to do anything and everything necessary to keep that from happening. We don't allow ghettos unemployment and homeless unloved children. I'm my world we do to others as we want done to us.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Are you a freaking moron? You have to be a resident of a city to send your children to school there. People from out of the city are sending their kids there because IT IS A BETTER SCHOOL.

Are all conservatives idiots?

As I said, you're trying to deny people a better education. What are you, some kind of heartless Republican? When you stop killing babies and beating women get back to us.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
A Berkeley type is a person whose consciousness has been enhanced by living in proximity to a beacon of light and progressive enlightenment as typified by the wisdom and intelligence collected in that spot by UCB. You can see the same idea on the dollar bill where at the apex of the pyramid there is a seeing eye. Berkeley types are like the stone at the top of the pyramid closest to the light enlightening the next level down.

The bottom is like the hick south.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2004
Academics has alot to do with self-discipline and perseverance. You can't teach work ethic. And considering that the environmental classes have 30%+ minorities in them - the high school is just shooting themselves in the foot.

lot of people have teachers that talk crap to the students, look at Detroit as an example. My cousin traveled up there and volunteered to do some teaching while the original teacher was out (not sure what for) and even in the 2 weeks that she taught she recognized a noticeable turnaround in the work ethic of one of the students who the previous teacher would just rat on for no good reason other than she wanted to.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
A Berkeley type is a person whose consciousness has been enhanced by living in proximity to a beacon of light and progressive enlightenment as typified by the wisdom and intelligence collected in that spot by UCB. You can see the same idea on the dollar bill where at the apex of the pyramid there is a seeing eye. Berkeley types are like the stone at the top of the pyramid closest to the light enlightening the next level down.

The bottom is like the hick south.
I'd actually reverse the analogy and equate the Berkeley Types to the shit on the bottom of our American boots, but that's just me...

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Instead of killing off science lessons in the school in some sort of some anti-racism crusade, wouldn't it make sense to instead make these science classes/labs a requirement for all students? Just split the science classes/labs into remedial and advanced so all students can perform to their level.

I suupose the irony here is that liberals love to bash conservatives by saying they don't like science. Yet they turn around and abolish science classes/labs in the name of 'equality'. Doesn't sound like much respect for science.

Fern

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Instead of killing off science lessons in the school in some sort of some anti-racism crusade, wouldn't it make sense to instead make these science classes/labs a requirement for all students?

How would we pay for that? We need to spend money on palehorses boots so he can go to some other country and stomp the shit out of brown skinned people of another religion. Where would we be without depleted uranium tipped rounds? Where would we be without our industrial military complex?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
How would we pay for that? We need to spend money on palehorses boots so he can go to some other country and stomp the shit out of brown skinned people of another religion. Where would we be without depleted uranium tipped rounds? Where would we be without our industrial military complex?

Schools systems are funded by real estate taxes. R/E taxes aren't being diverted to the military.

Fern

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Schools systems are funded by real estate taxes. R/E taxes aren't being diverted to the military.

Fern

My point being maybe we should be spending our military budget on our schools. The system as is can make loads of grunts but we have enough of those.

mav451

Jan 31, 2006
Instead of killing off science lessons in the school in some sort of some anti-racism crusade, wouldn't it make sense to instead make these science classes/labs a requirement for all students? Just split the science classes/labs into remedial and advanced so all students can perform to their level.

I suupose the irony here is that liberals love to bash conservatives by saying they don't like science. Yet they turn around and abolish science classes/labs in the name of 'equality'. Doesn't sound like much respect for science.

Fern

Why are you equating an entire political ideology to a one specific school's misguided decision? I dunno where you got the straw man that conservatives don't like science either. It's not so much that they don't like science, as they rather introduce their own ideology. Conservatives want Creationism taught alongside evolution in the classroom. That's what I call a misguided education for the sake of balance - lmao.

Last edited:

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/berkeley-high-may-cut-out-science-labs/Content?oid=1536705

Cliffs:
Science labs are for white students.
Minority students aren't doing well.
Eliminate the "inequity" by eliminating the labs.
Money will go for "other" programs, not to bring minorities up to speed so they can participate.

???
Profit!

Equality by seeking the lowest common denominator is stupid, but it's "fair" it seems.

Someone want to explain this thinking away?

A booster with a lot of disposable income might decide that the labs are important.

Rich folks beg differently than poor folks....

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
My point being maybe we should be spending our military budget on our schools. The system as is can make loads of grunts but we have enough of those.
no, we actually don't.

But, your point is ridiculous anyway... more federal money (ie. my money) for public schools that won't use it properly or in accordance with their loca citizens' wishes? Screw that shit! We have a hard enough time controlling our local schoolboards now... just imagine what it would be like if the local voters no longer mattered!

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why are you equating an entire political ideology to a one specific school's misguided decision? I dunno where you got the straw man that conservatives don't like science either. It's not so much that they don't like science, as they rather introduce their own ideology. Conservatives want Creationism taught alongside evolution in the classroom. That's what I call a misguided education for the sake of balance - lmao.

Absolutely brilliant. Criticize someone's generalization then follow it up with one your own.

"Don't equate an entire ideology with one specific instance, but all conservatives are creationists."

Bravo, you tool. Bravo.

mav451

Jan 31, 2006
Absolutely brilliant. Criticize someone's generalization then follow it up with one your own.

"Don't equate an entire ideology with one specific instance, but all conservatives are creationists."

Bravo, you tool. Bravo.

Gee thanks.

Nothing like an ad hominem to get things going on P&N right?

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'd actually reverse the analogy and equate the Berkeley Types to the shit on the bottom of our American boots, but that's just me...

All great human enlightenments were the result of folk of great mental gift concentrating together in a small area. It happened in the Islamic empire, in Greece, in Rome, in Venice, in Amsterdam, in Washington DC, in Egypt and Mesopotamia, etc. It is the result of genius fertilizing and inspiring genius. Less than 2% of the human race is awake. The awake know who else is awake. The sleepers don't know anything.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
As I said, you're trying to deny people a better education. What are you, some kind of heartless Republican? When you stop killing babies and beating women get back to us.

So, you have no problem paying higher property taxes so that students from another city can attend the schools in your city?

If Berkeley cracked down on the number of non-resident students attending their schools, they might not have to cut their science labs.

I miss living in Berkeley.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So, you have no problem paying higher property taxes so that students from another city can attend the schools in your city?

If Berkeley cracked down on the number of non-resident students attending their schools, they might not have to cut their science labs.

I miss living in Berkeley.

Isn't that exactly what Democrats want? Let the wealthy pay more and give it the less fortunate. Sounds like the leftist kooks need to practice what they preach.