So Apple sends unwanted ios software updates automatically??

x26

Sep 17, 2007
I notice the last few ios software updates have been downloaded to my iphones without my permission.

Is this something new??

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I notice the last few ios software updates have been downloaded to my iphones without my permission.

Is this something new??

By default, it'll automatically download iOS updates... presumably so you're not waiting forever to upgrade your phone when you're ready. However, I don't believe it automatically installs them -- you have to tell it to do that.

x26

Sep 17, 2007
By default, it'll automatically download iOS updates... presumably so you're not waiting forever to upgrade your phone when you're ready. However, I don't believe it automatically installs them -- you have to tell it to do that.

Yes, it downloads but doesn't install them--then it heckles and harasses you until you do install them.

I thought Apple used to be less invasive?

Any way to stop the unwanted downloads?

LightPattern

Feb 18, 2013
The latest 9.2.1 update contains a more-important-than-usual security update. Patches vulnerability that's been known about an exceptionally long time, is my understanding.

Jail-breaking your device is probably the only way to get it to stop prompting you to update.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I hate doing updates. Apple introduces new bugs with every update, and my phone goes more sluggish. That's the only reason I went from a 4S to a 5S. And now my 5S is starting to slow down. I finally caved to 9.2.1 or whatever is the latest and I'm having a bunch of issues.

But it's still better than having to use Android :awe:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Is this something new??
This really is a non - issue! Why make something out of nothing?

x26

Sep 17, 2007
This really is a non - issue! Why make something out of nothing?

It's an Issue for People that DO NOT want to bother with a software "Upgrade" when they are NOT having issues.

Apple forces the download to your Phone--Do they give you a way to Delete the "Upgraded" software??

If I am NOT having usability issues I NEVER Upgrade anything!! lol

x26

Sep 17, 2007
I hate doing updates. Apple introduces new bugs with every update, and my phone goes more sluggish. That's the only reason I went from a 4S to a 5S. And now my 5S is starting to slow down. I finally caved to 9.2.1 or whatever is the latest and I'm having a bunch of issues.

But it's still better than having to use Android :awe:

Exactly!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
It's an Issue for People that DO NOT want to bother with a software "Upgrade" when they are NOT having issues.

Apple forces the download to your Phone--Do they give you a way to Delete the "Upgraded" software??

That is a part of owning a item such as a cell phone where updates are used for various different reasons! So if what you say is true -- I bet your still using a 20 year old OS on your computer.......

x26

Sep 17, 2007
That is a part of owning a item such as a cell phone where updates are used for various different reasons! So if what you say is true -- I bet your still using a 20 year old OS on your computer.......

I'm on Win 7--Love it--Does everything I need rock Solid!!

v-600

Nov 1, 2010

Is this something new??

I think a more useful way to phrase this would be the following.

Does ios allow you options to control updates similar to a computer e.g. ignore, inform but do nothing else, inform and download in the background, install in the background.

The answer to which is no, sorry.

EDIT looking for reference from black books.

Apple's approach to ios - "It is the way it is because it is the way it is and if it wasn't the way it is it wouldn't be the way it is." Bernard Black.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

All those companies "not having issues" on IE 6 and java 1.4 suggest otherwise. But hey, whatever makes you happy.

JasonCoder

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
It may seem like an annoyance to upgrade but evergreen platforms are a serious boon to said platform. Admittedly Apple should limit the updates so you aren't being spammed. But the benefits are substantial... less time spent by devs supporting every nuance of older versions means the apps and updates come to you faster.

TLDR: be a good user and eat the updates with a smile on your face

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If you go to Manage Storage, you can delete the update. I believe it does not download it again and won't ask to upgrade until the next version is released.

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
The user that never upgrades is also the user that gets hit with an exploit.

x26

Sep 17, 2007
It may seem like an annoyance to upgrade but evergreen platforms are a serious boon to said platform. Admittedly Apple should limit the updates so you aren't being spammed. But the benefits are substantial... less time spent by devs supporting every nuance of older versions means the apps and updates come to you faster.

TLDR: be a good user and eat the updates with a smile on your face

Hehe!!

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
my old ipad used to run fine. Then you had to update the IOS to use some of the newer apps. So pretty soon you had to update if you wanted to use some of the mainstream apps. Stupid as my adnroid on jelly bean still runs every current app.

JasonCoder

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
my old ipad used to run fine. Then you had to update the IOS to use some of the newer apps. So pretty soon you had to update if you wanted to use some of the mainstream apps. Stupid as my adnroid on jelly bean still runs every current app.

There's a reason for that.

Look at the pie chart in the link... jelly bean is still nearly a third of Android's installed base. You don't release an app that won't work on a third of your target devices.

For some reason you Jelly Bean users refuse to/can't upgrade but still use the device :) Not that there's anything wrong with that.. I just retired my original iPad a few months ago.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
The user that never upgrades is also the user that gets hit with an exploit.

Pretty much this.

I have autoupdates set on my parents and in-laws devices so I don't have to do it and don't have to worry about them not having the latest security update.

Also, generally speaking, x.x.1 will slow things down, x.x.2 may keep it slow while fixing other issue, but x.x.3 will usually fix the speed issue.

MotionMan

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
There's a reason for that.

Look at the pie chart in the link... jelly bean is still nearly a third of Android's installed base. You don't release an app that won't work on a third of your target devices.

For some reason you Jelly Bean users refuse to/can't upgrade but still use the device :) Not that there's anything wrong with that.. I just retired my original iPad a few months ago.
Yup pretty much this. He must have not been in the early days of Android where vendor abandonment combined with rapid advances in app coding left wide swaths of unsupported people. I remember having a Samsung Fascinate and a Samsung Continuum (both Verizon, both pre-Galaxy). They started on Android 2.1, and then 2.2 came out. So many apps became Froyo only, and yet Samsung refused to upgrade the devices to 2.2. After months of unusability, my Fascinate finally got upgraded to 2.2, but the device became pretty unstable. They put out a 2.2.x update and it helped some, but the device was never the same. The continuum didn't get an update until 5 months after my 2 year contract was done if I remember correctly. So for over half it's use life it couldn't run the popular apps.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I wonder what happened to the people using XP that didn't want updates?
..oh yeah, that's right. They ended up spending money for a new one or for someone to fix the fuck job some hacker did to it.