So, apparently, I'm overweight

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Nutdotnet
Help me out here....did they actually measure your bodyfat or do they base the BMI simply off your weight and height?

If it's the latter...then that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Bodybuilders would all be considered fattys.

Yep we had a guy in the Army I knew and he was 5'8" 226lbs and Jr. Olympian with around 7% body fat??? He had to get a pinch test every year:( That was in 88 so it may have well changed by now but it was the craziest thing I ever seen.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Help me out here....did they actually measure your bodyfat or do they base the BMI simply off your weight and height?

If it's the latter...then that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Bodybuilders would all be considered fattys.

Extra weight, is extra weight. Body builders might be able to bench press a volkswagen but they still are at risk. Muscle bound does not mean cardiovascularly fit.

Lurknomore

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: vi_edit

Extra weight, is extra weight. Body builders might be able to bench press a volkswagen but they still are at risk. Muscle bound does not mean cardiovascularly fit.

Yeah, I heard any bit of extra mass stresses the heart even more.
Better to be a little lean or underweight, but not Nichole Richie thin.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
BMI is absolute crap for those who are active. It only judges "average" people who aren't. I'm surprised that "doctor" didn't say/realize that.

For those with muscle mass rather...just being active isn't enough to sway it and if anything like if a pure distance runner; your BMI is going to be low.

At 10%BF I am around 5'11" and 180-190lbs...BMI says I am obese at that weight.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: sixone
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
I'm not a scientist, a nutritionist, or a doctor, but the BMI thing never really appealed to me. I'm 6'1" and I'm 250 pounds with 26% body fat (Fat ass is the technical term). I suppose that to mean that if I had zero fat on my body, I'd weigh 185 pounds. That gives me a BMI of 24.4.

That's with absolutely no body fat.

Fascinating.

Sarcasm? It's late.

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. My point is that no matter what, unless I lose muscle mass, there's no way that I could have a "proper" BMI without dying, yet when I go to the doctor, they tell me "You need to get your BMI down to 25!"

It seems like a really stupid way to measure health.

animalia

Banned
Dec 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Enfer Singe
Originally posted by: Bateluer
The 30K is just a competitive run put on by a local running group.
you are a little too excited about your running...he didn't even ask about it and all your replies have been about how good of a runner you are
LOL

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
BMI isn't always accurate. body fat % is more relevant. if you're active, i doubt you're overweight.

AdamDuritz99

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2000
Yeah, i'm not exactly fond of it too. I'm 6'8". I weigh 260lbs. That means I have a BMI score of 28.6. I'm not skinny by no means, but I don't think many people would consider me overweight either. However the BMI score does. ;)

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Heh, just found a BMI calculator. I'm 6'1 and 135 pounds so my BMI is 17.8 which is "underweight." I'm going to blow away with the wind...

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
wow I went to the doc today
gained weight went from my previously stated 17.1 bmi to 19.1 - from 130 to 145lb

woot I'm not super duper skinny anymore (I can't really tell a difference in my figure though, worthless numbers)

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006
Originally posted by: novasatori
gained weight went from my previously stated 17.1 bmi to 19.1 - from 130 to 145lb

woot I'm not super duper skinny anymore (I can't really tell a difference in my figure though, worthless numbers)

What's your height? I went from 125 to 145lbs. at 5'8" so I'm close to you. The iron really helps ;).

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: RapidSnail

What's your height? I went from 125 to 145lbs. at 5'8" so I'm close to you. The iron really helps ;).

6'1"

I was pleasantly surprised that I weighted 145, I've not been able to gain weight and have been 120-130 ~6' since high school, to hear I gained 15lb since summer is good news to me. Now when people tell me to gain some weight or eat a sandwich I can tell them to shove it. :p

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006

6'1"

I was pleasantly surprised that I weighted 145, I've not been able to gain weight and have been 120-130 ~6' since high school, to hear I gained 15lb since summer is good news to me. Now when people tell me to gain some weight or eat a sandwich I can tell them to shove it. :p

I used to get the same thing also, and it really ticked me off. I didn't want to get fat, but I wanted to gain muscle.

BTW, are you lifting, or is the weight from beefing out?

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003

6'1"

I used to get the same thing also, and it really ticked me off. I didn't want to get fat, but I wanted to gain muscle.

BTW, are you lifting, or is the weight from beefing out?

Just from eating I think, the only exercise I do is walking around campus, carrying all my books, and an occasional walk around the area.

I should exercise. Maybe I will start, the only problem is, being skinny, naturally I HATE the cold.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
BMI is great for averages. However the super skinny and beefcake's get worked.

For a doc to swear by it, I would move on.