Snow tires. Which is better out of these two.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Which of these two tires would be better in your opinion?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+Arctic&partnum=055QR6AMAXA&wTire=6&autoMake=Pontiac&autoYear=2001&autoModel=Grand%20Am%20GT%20Coupe&autoModClar=

trans.gif

ge_altimax_arctic_ci2_l.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...2001&autoModel=Grand Am GT Coupe&autoModClar=

fs_winterforce_ci2_l.jpg

Moved from OT

Anandtech Moderator
KeithTalent

Last edited by a moderator:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dunno but I will say this much.

I have HTS Grabbers, and they are NOT great on snow.

Just so you know.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Yep sure is.

Mods please move at your earliest convenience.

Does a "more rugged" tire actually mean better ? It says Option A has better ice traction, but Option B has better snow traction.

I need a mix of both.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Where do you live?
How much driving do you do in snow?
Live on a steep hill?
Are you poor?
Pics of gf and mom?

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Where do you live? Mountains

How much driving do you do in snow? At least 20 miles per day, sometimes more

Live on a steep hill? Im in the moutains

Are you poor? Nope

Pics of gf and mom? Grow up

These will be going on a Grand Am GT. Car has 16" inch wheels...so that is what im going to put on it. Could go smaller for "skinnier" tires. But honestly don't want to.

Last edited:

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
From what I read Blizzacks are a more 'sporty' tire; I went with the Michelin X-Ice2 which sacrifices some of the aggressive handling for more grip in shitty conditions.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
If I am going to grow up, I'll only answer questions in the correct forum.

Well, since you have replied several times now. I guess your not going to grow up then.

And if you have a problem with it. Dont post in the thread.

Mods will move it.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Last year I went to the tire shop for a set of 4 Artic Claws tires because cops & taxis drivers use them in my town.

Last winter the road were in great condition except for a coup of days that I saw a bit of snow on it. However this year so far the tires saved my bacon for 3 days that we had snow/ice (I commute 100+ miles per day to/from work over treacherous mountain pass that was hit with snow & ice that most if not all people stayed off it, or ended up in the ditch).

The only gripes that I have with these tires is that they are some what noisy, and the ride isn't as comfortable or as grippy as my MICHELIN Energy MXV4 all season tires.

My vote is for Artic Claws.

Last edited:

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Last year I went to the tire shop for a set of 4 Artic Claws tires because cops & taxis drivers use them in my town.

Last winter the road were in great condition except for a coup of days that I saw a bit of snow on it. However this year so far the tires saved my bacon for 3 days that we had snow/ice (I commute 100+ miles per day to/from work over treacherous mountain pass that was hit with snow & ice that most if not all people stayed off it, or ended up in the ditch).

My vote is for Artic Claws.

These do look good. However, For these it may take a while to find I think. I usually order from Tirerack though. Sears just suck.
l_ArcticClaw_TXI.jpg

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I bought the cheapest snow tires Walmart sells. That was about 3 years ago and they still rock my dick off. It doesn't really matter which ones you buy unless you really want to drive balls to the wall fast and that extra 10% grip is the difference between living and dying.

I vote buy the cheaper one.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
I had blizzaks and they can get noisy at highway speeds, but generally my stereo frowns out the road noise, so i never noticed.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Yea, I understand about the cheapest snow tire possible can still be pretty good in the snow.

But for 225/50/16 there really is no cheap tire. Cheapest I have seen is around $100, all the way up to $190.

Still browsing the Tire Rack. :)

It will probably come down to the Blizzaks though.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Yea, I understand about the cheapest snow tire possible can still be pretty good in the snow.

But for 225/50/16 there really is no cheap tire. Cheapest I have seen is around $100, all the way up to $190.
The wild price difference is why I bought the cheap ones. If $200 tires were twice as grippy and safe as $100 tires then I would buy them in a second, but it's a bit of a diminishing returns thing. The cost goes up 20% but the tire is 5% better, and it goes on and on like that.

I think the most expensive 205/55/R16 tires I saw were something silly like $220 each. Come on now. These are Honda Civic tires; who pays that much? Unless it's a BMW 7 series then it's really hard to justify spending that much to get tires that are only slightly better.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Forget people's anecdotal reports. The General's are rated second best by Consumer Reports behind Michelin X-Ice's. The Firestone Winterforces were rated much lower. If you find something that works for you, as is the case with most anecdotal accounts, there's nothing wrong with that. But I prefer direct head-to-head comparisons under the same controlled conditions when comparing two products.

winter.jpg

The problem with tire accounts, especially when it comes to winter tires, is that the car and the conditions are often times extremely different between user accounts. I had Hankook Icebears on my car, they got pretty good reviews from people who drove FWD cars and subarus. On my GTO...awful. And you can see how CR rated them. I got the Generals and while the GTO is still quite a handful in snow, it is much better with these tires.

performancewinter.jpg

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

Still browsing the Tire Rack. :)

It will probably come down to the Blizzaks though.

DWS is a good hybrid tire that works in the snow and is $93 in your size. Have a set on the rear of my CTS (RWD) and made it fine in last years 100 year storm.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...dewall=Blackwall&partnum=25WR6ECDWS&tab=Sizes

Can run year round and less than $95 each