SNL...does Obama actor have to be black??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
I think the more important question is:

Why the hell do people still watch SNL??? It hasn't been funny for over ten years.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: sirjonk
What really bothers him (Sinbad) is SNL's choice of actor (Fred Armisen) to play Obama.
"My problem is -- you couldn't just temporarily hire a black man to play Obama? You had to put a white man in a black face? You couldn't find a light-skinned brother to play Obama?"

Anyone care to address why it's "required" or "more appropriate" for SNL to hire a black actor to portray half-white half-black Obama?

[/quote]

You should ask Sinbad this question, otherwise just let it go. For every stupid viewpoint you can think of, there's somebody out there in the world who holds it. Why get worked up over it, or assign it any significance?

Sinbad doesn't speak for anybody but Sinbad. The fact that he's an (out of work) actor, doesn't make his minority theories or quotes worth discussing.

Truthfully, I think Sinbad wants a black comedian to have the job, simply because it's one more job opportunity for himself. I bet he'd have no complaints about a black overweight actor playing Obama.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: yowolabi
What really bothers him (Sinbad) is SNL's choice of actor (Fred Armisen) to play Obama.
"My problem is -- you couldn't just temporarily hire a black man to play Obama? You had to put a white man in a black face? You couldn't find a light-skinned brother to play Obama?"

Anyone care to address why it's "required" or "more appropriate" for SNL to hire a black actor to portray half-white half-black Obama?

You should ask Sinbad this question, otherwise just let it go. For every stupid viewpoint you can think of, there's somebody out there in the world who holds it. Why get worked up over it, or assign it any significance?

Sinbad doesn't speak for anybody but Sinbad. The fact that he's an (out of work) actor, doesn't make his minority theories or quotes worth discussing.

Truthfully, I think Sinbad wants a black comedian to have the job, simply because it's one more job opportunity for himself. I bet he'd have no complaints about a black overweight actor playing Obama.

Frankly, I raised the question because a reputable PN poster cited SNLs actions as 'beyond innapropriate' so I wanted to see what other people thought.

Amazingly there's pretty much universal agreement in a PN thread that it's a non-issue.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Frankly, I raised the question because a reputable PN poster cited SNLs actions as 'beyond innapropriate' so I wanted to see what other people thought.

Amazingly there's pretty much universal agreement in a PN thread that it's a non-issue.

I know the post/thread and poster you are referring to. I took his remark to mean that Sinbad's complaint was "beyond inappropriate".

Fern

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern

I know the post/thread and poster you are referring to. I took his remark to mean that Sinbad's complaint was "beyond inappropriate".

Fern

Then color me a jackass ;)

Or not, here's the comment in context:

Originally posted by:

Wow... I wasn't aware of this. SNL has been crap for so many years I don't even bother with it anymore. That is beyond inappropriate.

?