Snickers pulls Superbowl Ad campaign

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ChiPCGuy
Just a question: Are you part of a skin head neo-nazi type group??
Wow, over-react much?

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Xylitol
Wow these are the homos that piss me off
Gay people do not

Only the whiny homos that think that these ads are targeted against them; they cant just take it as a joke.

Using the term "homos" is derogatory to ALL gay people. What is your definition of a "homo" vs. a gay person? Is the "homo" the one that will stand up, question, and take to task those that discriminate and the gay person the one that is quiet, doesn't get "uppity", and generally pretends to laugh off derogatory remarks, jokes, and other trash hurled our way?

Nov 3, 2004
Gay people do not

Only the whiny homos that think that these ads are targeted against them; they cant just take it as a joke.

Using the term "homos" is derogatory to ALL gay people. What is your definition of a "homo" vs. a gay person? Is the "homo" the one that will stand up, question, and take to task those that discriminate and the gay person the one that is quiet, doesn't get "uppity", and generally pretends to laugh off derogatory remarks, jokes, and other trash hurled our way?

homo=homosexual=gay :confused:

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Evadman
Wow, over-react much?

I react like this when confronted with someone that has the mentality of "you are in the minority, therefore have no right to defend yourself." To that, I do not think there can be a overreaction...discounting physical violence of course.

His chain of reasoning is dysfunctional, and therefore I will react strongly.

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: her209
Would you take it as a joke if Snickers aired a commercial where a lesbian and a gay guy were sharing a Snickers bar and they accidentally touched lips. The lesbian says to the gay guy, "I think we just kissed". And the gay guy says "QUICK! Do something gay!"

I chuckled just thinking about it. So yeah, I would find it funny?

Nov 3, 2004
Wow, over-react much?

I react like this when confronted with someone that has the mentality of "you are in the minority, therefore have no right to defend yourself." To that, I do not think there can be a overreaction...discounting physical violence of course.

I'm pretty sure that when he said majority, he meant that the ad was targeted at the majority, not toward attacking the gay minority.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
But if the commercial had a gay guy who got disgusted after accidently kissing a woman, they'd think that was funny.

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
Gay people do not

The first term is highly offensive. If you had a friend or relative that you spoke with, would you openly refer to them as a "homo" to their face? If no, why not? It is like using the "N" word when speaking with an African American.

The second term is out dated and clinical in nature. While not directly offensive, the term that is preferred is simply "gay", which could refer to a male OR female. The secondary term a gay female could be referred to as would be "lesbian."

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
Wow, over-react much?

I'm pretty sure that when he said majority, he meant that the ad was targeted at the majority, not toward attacking the gay minority.

I don't think I misinterpreted what he meant. He was pretty clear about it. Re-read his post.

Nov 3, 2004
Gay people do not

The first term is highly offensive. If you had a friend or relative that you spoke with, would you openly refer to them as a "homo" to their face? If no, why not? It is like using the "N" word when speaking with an African American.

The second term is out dated and clinical in nature. While not directly offensive, the term that is preferred is simply "gay", which could refer to a male OR female. The secondary term a gay female could be referred to as would be "lesbian."

It's just you're just putting words in his mouth regarding the ad. Maybe you just feel victimized because you're in the minority, but seeing as hardly anyone even perceives what you feel so strongly in this commercial, perhaps you might consider the possibility that the original intent wasn't to attack gay people.

Hell, I'm Asian, a minority too, and I don't have chest hair, but did I whine about how this ad targets people without chest hair?

Nov 3, 2004
Wow, over-react much?

I don't think I misinterpreted what he meant. He was pretty clear about it. Re-read his post.

I just re-read it. First, he says, this is a "typical" male reaction, mostly because the typical/average male is indeed, heterosexual. Therefore, since gays are in the minority, they have no business getting upset about it, because they are not the typical male, which is the target of the advertisement. In other words, why would they get angry about something that doesn't concern them?

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
Gay people do not

It's just you're just putting words in his mouth regarding the ad. Maybe you just feel victimized because you're in the minority, but seeing as hardly anyone even perceives what you feel so strongly in this commercial, perhaps you might consider the possibility that the original intent wasn't to attack gay people.

Hell, I'm Asian, a minority too, and I don't have chest hair, but did I whine about how this ad targets people without chest hair?

Go back several pages and re-read my second post in this thread. I did consider the intent of the ad was not to attack gay people, and in fact actually believe it to be a stab at homophobia at this point. I am no longer taking issue with the commercial, only with the additional comments I have seen in here.

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
Wow, over-react much?

I just re-read it. First, he says, this is a "typical" male reaction, mostly because the typical/average male is indeed, heterosexual. Therefore, since gays are in the minority, they have no business getting upset about it, because they are not the typical male, which is the target of the advertisement. In other words, why would they get angry about something that doesn't concern them?

Ok, take your post and replace every instance of the word gay with the word ASIAN, and every instance of the word heterosexual with the word WHITE. See what I mean now?

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
I love how the gays turn it into an add "condoning violence against gays"

:roll:

I don't remember any gays beating beaten or killed in the ad.

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
I love how the gays turn it into an add "condoning violence against gays"

:roll:

I don't remember any gays beating beaten or killed in the ad.

I completely agree. There was no violence in the add at all. I certainly did not interpret it as an add condoning violence against anything (expect perhaps chest hair).

Be careful when using all-encompassing remarks like "how the gays turn it into..." I certainly am gay and am not turning it into anything other than a chance to sharpen my debating skills here on ATOT (this thread really should be in P&N at this point, which is where I usually post).

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
That ad is funny, not homophobic and lots of gay folks on YouTube agree.

Agreed. It was funny, and definitely not homophobic.

M2008S

Jan 4, 2006
why must something about a candy bar extend this farrrrrrrrr

go get a 'bood lyte'

hahahaha i hope you all know what i mean

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: her209
Would you take it as a joke if Snickers aired a commercial where a lesbian and a gay guy were sharing a Snickers bar and they accidentally touched lips. The lesbian says to the gay guy, "I think we just kissed". And the gay guy says "QUICK! Do something gay!"
I chuckled just thinking about it. So yeah, I would find it funny?
So you wouldn't think its heterophobic?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ChiPCGuyBe careful when using all-encompassing remarks like "how the gays turn it into..." I certainly am gay and am not turning it into anything other than a chance to sharpen my overly self-indulgent moaning and whining in skills here on ATOT (this thread really should be in P&N at this point, which is where I usually post).
fixed that for you.

Seriously, this ad was a joke and not even a particularly funny one at that. I realize that in a free society, you have a right to take offense at anything, and that in modern society you have the presumption that the aforementioned right translates into your taking offense actually mattering. However, what you really need to do, is take a hard look at yourself and consider that the very act of taking offense at anything other than a direct personal attack may be a character flaw.

In this great big world of ours, you aren't special, your sexuality isn't special, and your opinion isn't particularly special either. Life is WAY too short to waste time on indignant outrage against the most trivial matters.

The next time some redneck chains a gay man to his rear fender and drags him down a gravel road, break out the signage and get down to Buford county and make sure the world knows that that kind of act will not be tolerated. In addition, the next time some lame commercial that in some only known to you reason is offensive because it makes fun of the fact that most straight men find the thought of kissing another man repulsive, have a cosmo and forget about it.