Sneaky new vending machines

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Any time I purchase two items from a vending machine and end up putting the change it just gave me right back into it, I wonder why they don't do it this way to avoid having to service it as often (inserted payment coins don't go into the chambers for dispensing as change). They could always make a chime or something.

What if they automatically kept your change at the grocery store and only gave it to you if you asked them for it?
Not comparable. You pay AFTER making all your selections at a supermarket so they wouldn't have any reason to do that.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
Any time I purchase two items from a vending machine and end up putting the change it just gave me right back into it, I wonder why they don't do it this way to avoid having to service it as often (inserted payment coins don't go into the chambers for dispensing as change). They could always make a chime or something.

This is why i think they've made it do that. Probably an easily changeable software setting by the vending company. I've wished ours would do that with cash ever sense we got the CC option. when using a CC it lets you chose multiple items before charging. We also don't get an extra charge for using a CC which is nice, but i'm baffled at how the vending company makes money from this.

jpbutler

Mar 29, 2013
All vending machines have the option to hold the change and allow for multiple vends. It defaults to off and is usually just left that way. Yet another option, You can also disable allowing the machine to be used as a change machine by setting force vend to on. So if you put put in a dollarandhit coin return it won't. Spit out any money. You are forced to purchase an item.