Snap Appliance 1000 not recognized over network

vo

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
I just got a used SNAP 1000 but cannot detect it over my router.
I am running a DLink 524.
I have two computer connect to the router and both of them did not see the SNAP.
The SNAP supposed to be plugged and play.
For those who did not know, Snap appliance is a server but you can use it just as a plug and play NAS.
I am thinking the reason is that it could not acquice the address from my router.
Normally, it comes with a user CD but that for setting up a server. You dont need it if you just want to use it as an NAS but right now, I am kind of (&*%*^&^ and also tax time is coming up :(:(:(
Any help is appreciated :)

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Snap 1100 Administrators Guide: http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/ex.../snap_server_administration_ug_pdf.htm

Page 42 has instructions on how to factory default the unit to ensure it's configured to use DHCP rather than a static IP.

To reset the server settings:

1 Turn the Snap Server off (as described on page 7) and
wait for all of the lights to turn off.

2 Press and hold down the Reset button. While you are
still pressing Reset, turn the Snap Server back on; wait
until both the System and Disk lights start flashing in
sync. (To press the Reset button, push a pencil point or
similar object into the reset button.)

3 Release the Reset button.

4 To select the settings you want to clear and reset, briefly
press the Reset button:
Once to clear the server's IP address.
Twice to clear the Administrator password.
Three times to clear the server's network settings.
Four times to clear all system settings.

5 Watch the Disk light and verify that the number of times
it flashes corresponds to the number of times you
pressed the Reset button. For example, if you pressed
Reset three times to clear the network settings, the
Disk light should flash three times repeatedly to
confirm the reset. If the number of flashes exceeds the
number you intended, repeat steps 4 and 5 of this
procedure.

6 When the light confirms the level of reset you intended,
press and hold down the Reset button until both the
System and Disk lights turn off, and then release the
Reset button. The server then restarts, and resets the
settings you cleared to the factory defaults.

vo

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
Thanks for help and research yuppiejr.
I already tried it but still could not see it over the network.
I tried to use the name SNAP###### where # is the serial number but it brough up nothing.
Is there a way that I can manually assign an address to it ? Well, but at least I have to see it first !!!

Edit: Oh ... one more thing ... my was actually Snap1000 but I cannot find it and was told that the 1100 is compatible.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Check the DCHP clients list on the router to see if the SNAP device is listed as a client. If it is on the list then you can try to connect to the device using the IP address listed on the router (use Start>Run>\\ipaddress to attempt to connect to the device).

If it is not listed as a client then it is not receiving an IP address from the router, which probably means that your router is not letting it have one (usually only happens if DHCP on the router has already given out all of the addresses it is configured to use), or the SNAP device is not communicating with the router (may still be set to static IP if it didn't reset properly or isn't communicating with the network at all) and therefore is not requesting an IP address from the router.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Have you done an IPScan (using Angry IP Scanner or another tool of the sort) and identified all devices on your current subnet? I had problems accessing my Snap 1100 by hostname but if I used http://192.168.x.x from IE to manage the device it worked fine. You might want to Google the admin guide and see if the factory reset option is different for the 1000.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/sn.../snap_server_administration_ug_pdf.htm = Snap 1000 admin guide
http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/sn...000/_docs/snap_server_1000_qsg_pdf.htm

Google is your friend and mine. ;)

vo

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
Well, I got home tonight and decide to connect it to a switch ... still not working.
I decided to reset it one more time ... and then turn it off completely.
After dinner, I came back and turned it on ... voila it show up in my Network Places.
I went back to explore and try to access it through \\snap###### but it's till not work.
Anyway, I am happy that it works as an NAS now.
Thanks for all your help ... :thumbsup: