SMP client questions

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My understanding is that they have revised the SMP client, so now it takes an argument that specifies the number of threads to run, it doesn't just always run four threads, correct? If so, can you run the SMP client on 2 threads, on a dual-core machine? Is that feasable? I'm thinking of a 2.85Ghz BE-2400 CPU, with 2GB of RAM, running XP 32-bit. Would that be able to complete SMP WUs by the deadline?

Also, does the SMP client still require you to set a static IP for the machine? Or do DHCP renewals not disrupt the client? (There's really no reason that my IP would change, even with DHCP, using DD-WRT router.)

Edit: Ok, I'm confused. I found the Standford High Performance Clients download page, do I want DEINO or MPICH? Which one will let me run -smp 2?

Last edited:

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
The number of threads must be 4 or more. AFAIK dual cores don't do too well on SMP2.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, but I need moar points, and a free dual-core is all I have available. That, and my laptop, which at 1.6Ghz single-core, is just a rounding error compared to my quad-gpu cruncher.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
The static IP was not required, it was being tried as a way to help stability or something.

The MPICH is the client most are using, I think.

I don't know if a dual will finish in time. I remember with SMP1 people used to run two clients on a quad to get full use of the CPU. Try it, it might work?