Smooth movies not working with Radeon 9700?

Reap

Nov 10, 2001
Right now I'm runing a Radeon 9700 Pro.
My older card was a Geforce2 GTS.
Now to my problem.
When I was watching divx or mpeg or what ever on my Geforce 2 GTS.
The movie like "smooth" things out so that you get the best qulity for that current res your using.
But no with my Radeon I can see pixels on the movies etc.
It's hard to explain what the problem is but I hope you understand.
There must be some way to fix this?

My drivers are: Catalyst 6-13-10-6166-efg
Control panel: 6-13-10-3027-efg

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
from what i understand you have to use a player that suports the feature. at the moment real player is the only one that does, expect updates to windows media player and quicktime to make use of the feature as well.

Reap

Nov 10, 2001
I did not download anything when it worked on my geforce2 gts. (all players)
It has allways bin there.

But not when I'm using my Radeon its not working anymore...

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
seems that hardware overlay isnt working for you, might have to reinstall the drivers or something, did you do a fresh install of windows before installing your radeon?

Reap

Nov 10, 2001
Nope
I'm still using the same OS.
And I have tryed to reinstall the drivers.

Anything more I can try?
I don't really feel like Reinstalling windows right now.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
The 9700 uses the videoshader to display video rather than the overlay, sounds like you may need at least a detinator destroyer <sp> or something to get rid of your old driver remnants if you insist on not re-installing your OS.

Reap

Nov 10, 2001
You know a good place to start?
I checked regedit for nvidia and geforce settings.
But it did not help.
You know where I can find software to fix this?

canadianpsycho

Diamond Member
May 23, 2001
If you didn't reformat when you installed the Radeon, I'd recommend it.

Cleared a lot of my performance issues, but I haven't tried too many movies with my 9700 yet.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
realy all things done right there should be no reason to format, however it can clear up issues if you can find another way. no b.s. exuses about all the stuff you dont want to loose either, if you dont want to loose it back it up, you never know when windows will implode or your harddrive will die.

Reap

Nov 10, 2001
It's not that..
I got it really bad with space right now(will get better soon).
Thats why I can't do the Windows installation right now.
I watch a lot of movies on the computer so if there was a quicker way to fix this I would be really happy.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
You know where I can find software to fix this?
Detonator Destroyer is the name of the utility IIRC, I've never used it so I can't comment on how well it works.

Reap

Nov 10, 2001
Now I have reinstalled windows.
I'm still using Windows XP SP1.
And the same drivers etc.

The stange thing is that the "overlayer, videoshader" did work right after the installation.
But after I was done installing all my programs and drivers etc.
It did not work anymore...

I have tryed uninstalling all programs and drivers but nothing helps.

please help!

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
man i dont know, maybe you should call ati on it and see if they have any ideas. i was haveing the cold boot issue with my 9700 and they were super helpful trying to help me get to the botom of it. granted i had already done all the troubleshooting steps that they tried to walk me though, but if i was a noob about and the problem was something other than my motherboard bios they would have been a blessing to me. unlike most tech support lines the people i talked to actualy knew what they were talking about.

Reap

Nov 10, 2001
Anyone know if there is some specific dll's or keys in the register I can look for and check if I'm missing something?

Reap

Nov 10, 2001
I found the cause of my problem.
It's my res.
When I'm runing my system in 1600x1200 @ 85hz It don't work! (my geforce2 gts did not have any problem with this)
But when I lower the hz to 60 it works!
I also tryed lower res and it works on any hz with out problems.

So is ATI the only ones I can blame for this?
If this is a drivers problem where is the best way I can turn so I can report this bug to ATI?

Thanks for the help!

Moishe

Feb 27, 2002
If it's the res, I'd just call em and start talking. They'll ask a lot of questions and get a lot of information, and in the end if nothig else they'll be working on the fix and aware of the problem, which is the first step.

Mo