Smoked a fatty. Smokey Joe Mini WSM build.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I was bored so I decided to build Smokey Joe Mini WSM. I had Weber Smokey Joe grill I bought for $15. I bought IMUSA 32 qt tamale/seafood steamer pot for $22 and used that for the middle section of the smoker. Project was really simple and it took me less than 30 minutes to build. For the initial test run and cook, I decided to smoke a fatty. I used 8 lit charcoals and placed that on top of 32 unlit charcoals. The Smokey Joe Mini WSM had no problem keeping 275 F for two hours. There was still at least half charcoal left so it could've gone another 2 hours. If I start with about 80 charcoals, I think it's possible to do 8-10 hour cook. I didn't care for the fatty but the Smokey Joe Mini WSM worked great. Nice thing is I can remove the steamer pot middle section and use Weber Smokey Joe as normal grill.

Weber Smokey Joe on the right next to Kamado Joe Jr.
xX2C6jF.jpg

IMUSA 32 qt tamale/seafood steamer pot
SegW0n9.jpg

Finished Smokey Joe Mini WSM
1zePr2F.jpg

Testing and breaking in the new smoker with a fatty
Pl3glT1.jpg

Smokey Joe Mini WSM is airtight
q8otPJ4.jpg

Fatty is done
ExPUj20.jpg

Leftover charcoal after 2 hours. Started with 40 charcoals.
ObP7Nyu.jpg

Fatty was meh but smoker was A+.
JjFyf4c.jpg

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Thanks for contributing to this anandtech society.

I accept Amazon GCs

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I'm not sure I like how that fatty turned out. Looks almost like meatloaf...

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Thanks for contributing to this anandtech society.

I accept Amazon GCs
You're crypto millionaire. You should be the one sending me some Vechain.

wtf is a fatty in this context?
Fatty is simply ground pork or beef rolled into log shape and then smoked. People usually stuff it with some cheese, veggies, meat, etc. and wrap it in layer of bacon. But I just bought Jimmy Dean like breakfast pork sausage. But Jimmy Dean is too high class for me so I bought Aldi breakfast fresh pork sausage. All I did was remove it from packaging and sprinkled on some BBQ rub and smoke. I just wanted greasy cheap meat to test the smoker.

This is example of fancy fatty. https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/118084484-breakfast-fatty

Reactions: Ns1

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Way over cooked!
When I pulled it, it was reading ~170 F. So I overshot 160 F. I let it cool about 10 minutes and sliced and then pan fried the slices. That overcooked it further. It was my first time using this smoker and first time smoking a fatty. I was mainly testing the smoker temp performance and didn't even bother measuring the meat temp until the 1:30 mark when I probed it with Thermapen and saw it was reading 170 F. But even if I had cooked it perfect, it's just ground pork patty.