Smith & Wesson

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

prvteye2003

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
shoot. the only gun I own is a Ruger P87 MKII 9mm that I bought back in '91 when going through the police academy. I've maybe been out with it a half a dozen times since. Just sits in the closet.

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: Sundog
Why the cannon for self preservation?

It's very accurate, powerful, pleasant to shoot, makes a loud boom and it is an intriguing firearm.

It would be a decent home defense weapon when loaded with .44 special rounds but I already have a couple guns that would fill that role quite nicely. I just like it. Haven't you ever purchased anything simply because you wanted it?

Yes, a Stainless 357 Magnum 6". Got tired of reloading though after 4 years, so now it is off the shelf ammo. :(

imported_Papi

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2002
You need a gun licence here in Canada, to even walk into a gun shop.

I prefer it that way. There aren't enough gun laws. Unless you are on the police force or in the army, I don't see any reason for joe shmo to own a gun.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: yayo

I prefer it that way. There aren't enough gun laws. Unless you are on the police force or in the army, I don't see any reason for joe shmo to own a gun.

huh? since when.. ive been in lots of gun stores and i have no lic. but that was pre C-68 (C-64? i forget the number).. did they change that or something.. i dont believe so.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: yayo

Yes, cuz your average thug is so deterred by paperwork that he isnt going to buy from a legal gun store. And since he would never do anything illegal, such as pick up a pistol on the black market, we will all be safe if we only banned guns.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Heres my S&W 44 mag. Got it about a month and a half ago, just got the scope back from burris yesterday, had some internal debris inside it. Don't know whether to put the scope back on it or just get a ruger super redhawk and mount the scope on it. The clearance between the scope and the front site is about a millimeter on this one.

Another pic.

KK

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: KK
Heres my S&W 44 mag. Got it about a month and a half ago, just got the scope back from burris yesterday, had some internal debris inside it. Don't know whether to put the scope back on it or just get a ruger super redhawk and mount the scope on it. The clearance between the scope and the front site is about a millimeter on this one.

Another pic.

KK

That is one sweet gun you've got there. I hadn't planned on putting a scope on mine but you know, I think I may do it.

Link I bought the 6.5" barrel.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
S&W? Where did you buy it? I thought for sure they had officially stopped their civilian production of handguns. I guess I learn something new every day. :)

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001

Another pic.

KK

That is one sweet gun you've got there. I hadn't planned on putting a scope on mine but you know, I think I may do it.

Have you had time to shoot it yet. That one I posted was my first 44 and to tell you the truth, I can't hit sh1t with it, yet. I'm sure it's just me right now, I hope to get it able to hit at 100 yeards fairly accurate. As far as paper work for it, I bought it from someone out of state, had to get someone local to ship them a FFL copy and then the guy shipped the gun to that local shop and I went and picked it up. They ran a background check that took maybe 4-5 minutes. I was out of there in about 10 minutes.

KK

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Another pic.

KK

Have you had time to shoot it yet. That one I posted was my first 44 and to tell you the truth, I can't hit sh1t with it, yet. I'm sure it's just me right now, I hope to get it able to hit at 100 yeards fairly accurate. As far as paper work for it, I bought it from someone out of state, had to get someone local to ship them a FFL copy and then the guy shipped the gun to that local shop and I went and picked it up. They ran a background check that took maybe 4-5 minutes. I was out of there in about 10 minutes.

KK

I don't even have it yet. I have to wait 10 days before I can pick it up according to California state law.

I've shot my friends model 629 with a 5" barrel. I hit a golf ball at about 20 ft with iron sights.

Sounds like your scope sighting may be off a bit. Probably needs to be properly sighted in. Get a large paper target and set it out at 50 yards. If the scope is properly mounted you should at least be able to get on the paper at that range. Then you will know which way to adjust to get it right in the center.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
I'd love to go to a shooting range for fun sometime, but my parents would sh!t themselves if they saw me carrying a gun out the door... let alone the fact of my owning it.

Cripes, I had to BEG AND PLEAD with them to get a BB gun when I was 12.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001

Another pic.

KK

KK

I don't even have it yet. I have to wait 10 days before I can pick it up according to California state law.

I've shot my friends model 629 with a 5" barrel. I hit a golf ball at about 20 ft with iron sights.

Sounds like your scope sighting may be off a bit. Probably needs to be properly sighted in. Get a large paper target and set it out at 50 yards. If the scope is properly mounted you should at least be able to get on the paper at that range. Then you will know which way to adjust to get it right in the center.

Didn't realize that you had to wait that long. Hmm, has crime dropped since that law was implemented?

With the open sights I am all over, the first outting I had, I didn't have the scope. I was lucky to hit a feed sack at 25 yards 6 out of 18 times free handed. The second time I went out I had just put the scope on, and it seemed to be able to group fairly close at 25 yards, within 4-5 inches. But the scope was hitting high and right, too far for the scope to compensate for. It needed repositioned, but about the time I was going to do that, it got that debris inside of it, and I went ahead and took it off. Tried it again with iron sites this time on the bench, was a little more consistant but no where near what it should have been.

KK