Smashing Pumpkins bootleg their own stuff! MACHINA II/the Friends & Enemies of Modern Music

DirkBelig

Banned
Oct 15, 1999
From the Drudge Report...(which means whatever, raspewtin and splitfire from AGN can stop reading now!)

The music industry was rocked on Friday when the SMASHING PUMPKINS released 25 new songs to be distributed for free over the Internet, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

The move marks the largest free music release ever by a band with such stature.

The band unleashed the unreleased tracks after VIRGIN RECORDS showed little interest in
the material. Rather than letting the music rot, the group went behind their label's
back to press 25 vinyl copies. It then asked recipients to release the music publicly
via MP3 files.

On the quality of the music, one PUMPKINS fan decalred: "This release contains some of
the best music this band has ever created.... This is one more example of the power of
the Internet."

The files are already trading on web sites, FTPs, and NAPSTER.

Great! Where do I find this stuff now?

DirkBelig

Banned
Oct 15, 1999
You got what I got. Checking the SP boards I found this FAQ.

When Machina came out, Uncle Fester...erm..Billy said that he had another album's worth of material he wanted to put out, then he said that he was killing off the band.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
List of songs available here. They are available on Napster. Getting them right now.
:)

DirkBelig

Banned
Oct 15, 1999
Got that list and I'm working the ol' Larster right now. Quality seems dodgy. I know all you l33t w4R3z0red types believe in stealing everything, but I would've PAID $12 for this record like I did for Machina. Grrr...

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
And I was going to play some more diablo, I guess I´ll have to spend time getting all these songs now.

hey.... I have Glass Theme, mp3 from their concert in detroit .. and I also have Dross.. no wonder why I didnt recognize these songs.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Help please!

First of all, good for the Pumpkins. They are the only reason I just downloaded Napster 15 minutes ago.

However, when I did a search I could only find Le Deux Machina. As a napster virgin, am I missing something?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Thanks for the offer, Itk007. Unfortunately I don't have AIM. If you want PM me.

What am I doing wrong in searching Napster? I tried the group name and got humdreds of songs. But the new 'official' bootleg song titles come up as "no matching files found".

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
artist: smashing pumpkins
Title: Song title here
Max Results: 100

That's all you need

DirkBelig

Banned
Oct 15, 1999
Go here and get the titles and narrow your search.

Things are bogging down now.:|

I wonder if this is a stunt to provoke demand for a retail release. Hmmm.....

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Thanks for all the replies and help.

First of all Itk007 - thanks - however, on the search you recommended I didn't get the new titles. Just old stuff I already have on CD.

DirkBelig, thanks and I DID print out the list you previously linked to on the FAQ to spfc.org. I was surprised to not having seen them on Napster's search.

kami, I seriously doubt you'll make that bet. Anyway, I own lots and lots of music on cassette tape I wouldn't mind transferring to mp3 and then to CD.

403Forbidden - Napigator???

DirkBelig

Banned
Oct 15, 1999
WARNING!!!!

The versions of "Speed Kills" that weigh in at 6,673,889 bytes and 192 kb/s encoding are GLITCH CITY!!! Nero will flag it as a damaged file and you can hear the probs! If you have it, LOSE IT!!! to keep it from spreading around!

Looks like the good files are 7,612,416 bytes in size.

DirkBelig

Banned
Oct 15, 1999
It sounds like a different version or song too. Weird. Some of this stuff is out there in live booter form. I accidentally got a live version of "Home".

Here's my appraisal of the quality of the tracks, ranked Poor (almost unlistenable), So-So (noticable hiss or distortion), OK (some probs) and Good (equal to 96-128 kb/s encoding). All tracks are 192 kb/s.

OK 1. Slow Down
Poor (hissy) 2. Vanity
So-So 3. Saturnine
So-So 4. Glass' Theme (spacey version)
So-So 5. Soul Power [James Brown]
Good 6. Cash Car Star
OK 7. Lucky 13
Good 8. Speed Kills (There's a glitchy alt version of this too)
Good 9. If There Is a God (piano/vox)
Good 10. Try, Try, Try (alt. music/lyrics)
Poor-ack 11. Heavy Metal Machine (version I alt. mix)
OK 12. Glass' Theme
OK/Good 13. Cash Car Star
OK/Good 14. Dross
Poor (fizzy) 15. Real Love
OK 16. Go
OK 17. Let Me Give the World to You
OK 18. Innosence
So-So 19. Home (live version too)
OK 20. Blue Skies Bring Tears (heavy)
Poor (hissy) 21. White Spider
OK 22. In My Body
So-So (fizzy) 23. If There Is a God (full band)
OK 24. Le Deux Machina (synth)
Good 25. Here's to the Atom Bomb

(Sorry if this doesn't line up here. It does in Notepad.)

The shame is some of the best songs have the WORST quality!:( I hope this is a publicity stunt to drum up interest in a retail release cuz I've got my money out for good versions of these songs!

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well, i got all the songs....these are the only good ones IMO:

Try Try Try
Speed Kills
Home
Innosence
Vanity
Dross
Let me give the world to you
Cash car star