Smartwatch Questions (Samsung)

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
The new Samsung S3 has me actually thinking about jumping into the smartwatch market. Up till now the Microsoft Bands (1 and 2) have been excellent options for my limited needs.

• How do the data plans work for 4g\LTE enabled devices? I currently have ATT for my phone which is paid for thru work, my family is on a T-Mobile plan. I want to get the data plan thru my families plan, will this work?
  • I see very few apps showing as built for the Samsung watches, can all android apps work but with limited functionality? I need Microsoft Groove compatibility or I won't be jumping in. Nothing beats Groove.
  • Any concerns of the watch getting too hot when exercising? I hike quite a bit in over 100 degree temps.
Thanks

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
If it's a wearable data device, it's $5 per month on T-Mobile (on top of what your family already pays, of course).

Samsung's Gear S2 and S3 watches run Tizen apps, not Android apps. And I'm afraid that there's not only no Microsoft Groove app, but likely never will be (even the Android Wear/Apple Watch support is fairly lacking). You'd have to use Spotify if you want a major streaming app on a Gear watch.

Temperature shouldn't be an issue with either.

You're likely better off with Android Wear, assuming you're using an Android smartphone. The Gear S2 and S3 are well-executed watches, but Tizen is the Windows Phone of the wearable world... while it's the third-largest platform, very few companies support it.

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
There's a reason they're giving away s2 as part of buying a samsung phone. I just hate when mnfgr further fragments the market with proprietary OS but oh well, Samsung's been in a roll lately with headline news so I'll just leave it at that. Get something that's Android compatible if you're relying on a lot of android native apps. Something like a huawei watch with built-in speakers, all the body monitoring tools and doesn't look like a toy. It's also about $150 the last time I saw a sale ($250 otherwise for the leather band).

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I have a Gear S2 and I haven't really felt the need for anything that doesn't come on the watch already. I would have gone with a Wear watch except for the fact that I didn't want to wear a hockey puck on my wrist. The Gear S2 is decent but I think my Pebble was a better overall smart watch. I think it was better than the Moto 360 I tried for a couple of weeks as well honestly.

As far as Groove compatibility, are you talking about a native app that works when your phone isn't handy? The Gear will control music playback for everything I have tried so far (never tried Groove though) as long as your phone is connected. If you are looking for a bunch of stand alone apps however a Wear watch is probably the way to go.