Smartphone with functioning FM receiver?

sammykhalifa

Dec 26, 2014
So I've been using my first-gen Moto G for a few years now. It's a fine little phone, but is of course showing its age and has also been acting up a lot lately so I'm looking into upgrading. I noticed the new Moto 4G and figured it was a no-brainer choice to modernize a bit. Then I found out that they didn't include a magetometer--kind of a deal-breaker for me.

That's when I started looking seriously at a few of the $400-range high-specced phones that have been appearing lately. The Oneplus3, Axon 7, the Honor, etc. I'm sure you all know them more than I do. I figured it was a perfect time to use this $100 GC from a certain hated big-box electronics store that I've been sitting on. They all seem like pretty good options for me, but I was kind of starting to lean towards the Axon. That's when I found some online reports that it does not have the FM radio connected in the hardware. I use my phone to listen to the broadcast of baseball games, and MLB does not play well with streaming radio. (Yes, I'm ancient. I know). Not only that, but the more I read, it seems that most of the devices I were a no go for the FM receiver.

Is this true? It seems like a super super cheap thing to include, especially considering that the receiver is in the chip already. The reports I read (not an expert myself obviously) seemed to indicate that the issue is that the hardware was not physically hooked up internally, and this isn't the kind of thing that can be fixed with software updates, etc. Are there many phones out there that still have this functionality? A disappointment if true. I don't really get why my budget-oriented phone from 3+ years ago can do things that modern, better ones have deliberately decided to do away with.

Ah well. Thanks for reading if you've gotten this far, heh.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's an old phone now, but the S5 has fm. Maybe newer Galaxys do too?

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
You can also get FM add-ons for phones, including the iPhone. Clunky solution though.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
What do suppose is the reason for disabling fm? Could it be as cynical as forcing expensive data? It's not like there aren't a million other ways to blow through data.

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
Fm radios is one of those things to have but normally a good amount of people don't use them. Kinda like the IR blaster on my note 4. I love having a remote on my phone but the people I know that own a note 4 had no clue/interest in the IR blaster.

Sent from my SM-N910T

Last edited by a moderator:

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
Honor 5x, Mate 7 and mate 8 all have FM radio. The mate 8 will be a little out of your price bracket, but the formers will certainly fit the bill. Oh, they also support US LTE bands as well.

sammykhalifa

Dec 26, 2014
Thank you everyone! Some very good advice and resources here. Shame that they're cutting the radios on so many devices--I suppose it's not the most IMPORTANT feature, but it just floored me. To me it was like hearing that your new phone wouldn't work as a calculator or an alarm clock. It wasn't even on my radar as a potential trade-off.

I suppose that I'll keep looking. As it is I see that the 2015 Moto x Pure is on sale, no radio again but with my gift card I'd walk away paying 150 bucks. I'm worried about Motorola support going forward and was really getting my heart set on a OnePlus or Axon or the new Honor 8. I do like my MotoG though, so I might really like the X. Heh, so indecisive . . .

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
My HTC One A9 (and M7 before this) has FM radio. The annoying thing is that to listen to it you have to use a wired headphones (which functions as an antenna), which I haven't used for years now. So it's been pretty much useless for me.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I was surprised to learn my Note 7 has FM. I loaded Next Radio on it just out of curiosity. Works perfectly. The interface is way better than any average physical radio.

Not that I'll ever use it much, but nice to know it's just one more thing my phone can do if I ever do need it.

sammykhalifa

Dec 26, 2014
Sorry to dig up my own thread, but I'm still kicking this around. I see discounts on the LG G5 getting it down near a reasonable price--I'm sure there's a reason it's going on discount though. It seems like some networks are letting the radio work, while others have it (by software I'm assuming) locked up. Would an unlocked phone get around this? I do phone though Ting, where I have the option to use either Sprint or T-Mobile towers.

If anyone thinks I should run far away from the G5 I'd appreciate hearing that too. I would have but the Axon 7 already if it had this one little thing, but on the other hand I'm kind of a (very amateur) photographer so it might be worth it for the better camera on the LG anyhow.